Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Here's my take on it...

external:
    3.5" screen on the same size device, if that's possible (no wider because when one-hand typing it's hard to reach shift or opt. buttons)
    smaller gesture area (I know you need space for holding the phone, but my low swipes don't register and that's annoying, also, this will make space for a larger screen)
    no white button
    thinner
    flat area on back for desktop typing
    bubbly keyboard buttons like the treo
    HDMI micro out
    front facing cam
    perhaps the new 'slider' style usb cover

internal:
    1GHz+
    512Mb+
    5-8MP+ cam (even though it already takes terrific photos)
    zoom lens
    1800mA+
    16GB+
    b/g/n wifi

Ultimately, I really like the size and shape, the screen could be a touch bigger without affecting the form, the keyboard could be tweaked for better type-ability, and the slider should be much sturdier.

Also, offer a couple forms, such as:

revamped Pixi
    revamped Pre
    landscape keyboard Pre
    a dual slider Pre (slide up for portrait keyboard, slide sideways for landscape keyboard) if it can be done while staying thin
    no keyboard Pre (although I wouldn't buy this one), but it would be ridiculously small/thin which would be cool
    still love the design, keep the physical keyboard and add a virtual for thise that have to have it, i'm not opposed to a larger display... Just get rid of the gesture area and incorporate it into the screen itself
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I want, the same design, but with a slightly larger, higher res screen.

that swivels for web browsing and games
    (and also works in portrait mode as well)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I like my Pre. It's getting a little long in the tooth though. I've had it since the sprint launch so its more than a year old now. I discovered homebrew late so its been like a new phone for the last few months but all the new tech that's coming out is making me itchy for an upgrade. I'm trying to wait and see what hpalm has coming up because I love webos but every time an Evo or Epic comes out it gets tougher not to pull the trigger on an update. I like the design of the Pre. It could use a little higher quality material update. The Iphone would be a good thing to copy as far as material feel and maybe an Amoled or Super amoled screen. I think 4 inches is the sweet spot these days for a screen. It also could use one of those new processors that run native at 1 ghz. Snapdragon or hummingbird would work if they really wanted to get crazy maybe even one of those dual processors'. I love my Pre but I'm really looking hard at the upcoming Epic. Hpalm needs to put something out to let the few loyal customers know that something is in the works and worth waiting for...
    i don't want a larger phone - if i did i'd get the evo or epic. the current form factor of the pre is fine, and it is actually a positive differentiator in my opinion. if they came out with a phone essentially identical to the pre plus with a) better quality, and b) expandable storage (read miniSD) i'd be standing in line waiting to get it.

the longer they wait, the more likely they are going to become irrelevant. new phones coming out regularly from other vendors (HTC, Samsung, and now BlackBerry)... webOS superiority or not (which i whole-heartedly agree with), soon the only market they'll have left are precentral members.

as evidence i'd point to the article announcing the torch - the headline touts the phone as competition for iphone and android. not even a mention of palm or webos... soon the train is just going to be too far down the track. the new hardware is going to need to be superior in many, if not most, areas in order to get anyone's attention. if it isn't, well... guess we'll always have the webOS toaster to look forward to...
    If they make it a bit wider, and cut out the bottom bezel below the gesture area, they can fit a 3.5 in screen in. If they do that, and make it slimmer, with a high res display, I am a happy man.
    Quote Originally Posted by cybern8 View Post
    the new hardware is going to need to be superior in many, if not most, areas in order to get anyone's attention.
    +1

They MUST wow the entire market, just to get their foothold back and start advancing again
    1.6GHz
    4-inch Super AMOLED Screen
    4G on Sprint
    1GB RAM
    8MP 3D Camera
    2MP FFC
    1800mA+
    16GB+
    G/N Wifi
    GPS
    Bluetooth 3.0
    Compass
    Gyroscope
    Accelerometer
    Weather Sensor's (Barometer, Thermometer, ect..)
    Psychical Keyboard
    Biometric sensors
    Solar Powerd

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcitron View Post
    I want, the same design, but with a slightly larger, higher res screen.

that swivels for web browsing and games
    (and also works in portrait mode as well)
    +1!

this is one of my few beefs with my Pre - web surfing in landscape, switch to portrait to do ANY text input... I like this solution!

I bet people would still complain about 'oreo' effect haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Joescan09 View Post
    1.6GHz
    4G on Sprint
    1GB RAM
    8MP 3D Camera
    2MP FFC
    1800mA+
    16GB+
    G/N Wifi
    GPS
    Bluetooth 3.0
    Compass
    Gyroscope
    Accelerometer
    Psychical Keyboard
    Biometric sensors
    Solar Powerd
    You sir are a bad mofo! I was trying to be conservative but I like your thinking!!
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I love the current design. I get a kick out of people who say it is "long in the tooth." Seriously? It's only been on the market for 1 year. How often do you people expect to change your phones?

I guess if the expectation is to buy a new phone and then upgrade every few months, then, yes, it is outdated. If you want to play that game, then you will never be satisfied with anything.

Sometimes I get caught up in the constant competitive analysis and "must have" discussions. There is some great hardware out there now that specs out better than the Pre. But guess what? By the time most of us are nearing the end of our 2-year contracts, there will be a new Palm device. And, for a few months, it too will have the best hardware and OS on the market. And the world will continue...
    I think Pre is well thougt for one handed operation, fast data imput and consultation, wich was perfect time ago.

But now smartphones are becoming more powerful, so they're taking from other devices a lot of their usage. That increases the time used looking at the screen, so it has to be larger to fit these new demands

My bet is a slate, or maybe a Pixi layout, the size of a Droid Incredible, or Nexus One (no need for keyboard if it features "voice to tex" and a good onscreen keyboard software, but it's probably too soon for Palm to have that ready)

I think one of the keys for Pre's failure was to avoid targeting the geek user with the small screen, and the bad slider design... so it's time to change that
    You are not alone
    I'm not playing around anymore these specs would make any phone look stupid when compared. Thats just hardware put WebOS 2.0 on top and you got the world F'ing Champ in smartphones.

1.6GHz
    4G on Sprint
    1GB RAM
    8MP 3D Camera
    2MP FFC
    1800mA+
    16GB+
    G/N Wifi
    GPS
    Bluetooth 3.0
    Compass
    Gyroscope
    Accelerometer
    Psychical Keyboard
    Biometric sensors
    Solar Powerd

Follow Me On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joescan09 View Post
    I'm not playing around anymore these specs would make any phone look stupid when compared. Thats just hardware put WebOS 2.0 on top and you got the world F'ing Champ in smartphones.
    only problem is the 1800mA will end up with the same complaints that the 1150mA has now. Those specs will suck power big time...
    I would love to see faster hardware (with the new OMAP processor), very slightly larger screen with similar shape with maybe slightly more squared off back or maybe the option for a cover that has a slightly more squared back. The current pre is fantastic and am not really critical at all of the hardware (with the exception of the pre plus keyboard issues that continue to pop up from time to time) but it feels at some times that the phone could just slip out of my hand. I have pretty small hands and even with the small shape of the phone, the very rounded back edges make it difficult to grasp with a sturdy hold while walking or doing much else.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cybern8 View Post
    as evidence i'd point to the article announcing the torch - the headline touts the phone as competition for iphone and android. not even a mention of palm or webos...
    The Gizmodo article mentioned the form factor as following the design of the Pre, but noted the sturdier build and slicker design of the Torch. Basically said this form factor is what the Pre should've been. But still, no mention of webOS, just the form factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by iradeut View Post
    I'd only like to add that the keyboard on the original Treo was exactly the right size for fairly fast typing, and one handed operation. If they can get something like that into a slightly larger Pre (but keep it thin), we're in business.
    +1 on an improved keyboard. I'm on a pre-minus (Sprint), and I've heard that the keyboards shipping with the Plus models are improved. My with has a Pixi minus, and its keyboard is better, IMHO. Also, speaking of one-handed operation, I'd love to see the return of the 5-way navigation. I've learned how to move the cursor around in webOS, and I think I'm pretty good with it, but it still takes two hands. For improvements like that, I'd tolerate a slightly larger overall size.
    Vandassen thats why it needs to have a solar panel for a battery cover.

Follow Me On Twitter
    I don't want a bigger phone. I like the Pre because is it pocketable and can be used with one hand. I can't use the EVO with one hand. It's too darned big.

I want more power of course (my original Pre is darn near useless without Uberkernel, govnah and compache), but I love the form factor...screen size included.

I just wish it was a little less rounded. I use it while it sits on my desk alot and the rounded edges makes it rock and roll meaning I have to pick it up. A small think really, but if I had to design it, I would make it with a flat back.

NNB
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast