1.    #1  
    What do you think are the essential features or the must have features that video chat should have in the next smartphone WebOS device. Also mention what features would make it really cool.

I think it should have capabilities to Skype, interact with facetime on iphone (hopefully no by masquerading like an iphone) and fring. It should be able to switch seamlessly between back camera and front camera. Should be able to move between video call and regular call and maybe be able to record (including audio) the video call.

What do you guys think?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    skype is all it needs. I can't imagine Jobs letting any non-apple product connecting with facetime.
    Last edited by Workerb33; 08/02/2010 at 10:12 PM.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Video chat won't be a selling point for me.
    There is a rumor of a Skype app in webOS 2.0. I think that along with Facetime support would really up HP's game.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I consider Video Chat a gimmick that I personally will probably use once to see how it works and never touch again. The same as I have done with the Video Camera and Voice Recording. They are nice to have but add little value to the productivity of my phone. What I need are Document Handling, Meeting Schedulers built into the Calendars, Multiple Telephone Contact lists and some of the PDA functions that I had on my old Treo 755P. Video Chat capabilities could be on the phone for those who use and as a selling point to those who want to see all the bells and whistles on their Smartphones.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I consider Video Chat a gimmick that I personally will probably use once to see how it works and never touch again. The same as I have done with the Video Camera and Voice Recording. They are nice to have but add little value to the productivity of my phone. What I need are Document Handling, Meeting Schedulers built into the Calendars, Multiple Telephone Contact lists and some of the PDA functions that I had on my old Treo 755P. Video Chat capabilities could be on the phone for those who use and as a selling point to those who want to see all the bells and whistles on their Smartphones.
    This is really what it comes down to. Not-Yet-Pre nails it. Is HP going to really try and capitalize on the entertainment/social networking aspect of WebOS and its devices and go toe to toe with Apple, or are they going to pick the low hanging fruit and make a concerted effort to grab those 57% of Blackberry users who are looking to make a switch as well as take advantage of their own corporate business presence by making hardworking multi-tasking powerhouse devices?

Or... will they try and do both in one device, or potentially develop different devices to serve each niche.

Essentially their decisions here will shape what type of video conf. capabilities will be present in their future devices.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    I concur with others that Video Chat will stay a gimmick for the foreseeable future. Many users, especially the younger crowd, have abandoned talking for texting, I don't see them going back.

Don't get me wrong, I defiantly see video chat on the mobile phone being good in certain situations, but until everyone is on 4G and it works between any phone (on any network) or computer it's not going to catch on.

That all said if Palm/HP is including this with the next device it needs to:
    • Work with all phones with video chat on any network
    • Work with most (if not all) instant messaging platforms supporting video chat and Skype
    • Work well on 3G and work amazing on 4G
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    skype is all it needs. I can't imagine Jobs letting any non-apple product connecting with facetime.
    Facetime is an open standard
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I concur with others that Video Chat will stay a gimmick for the foreseeable future. Many users, especially the younger crowd, have abandoned talking for texting, I don't see them going back.

Don't get me wrong, I defiantly see video chat on the mobile phone being good in certain situations, but until everyone is on 4G and it works between any phone (on any network) or computer it's not going to catch on.

That all said if Palm/HP is including this with the next device it needs to:
    • Work with all phones with video chat on any network
    • Work with most (if not all) instant messaging platforms supporting video chat and Skype
    • Work well on 3G and work amazing on 4G
    I kinda thought this at first as well....but then i thought, there has been an upswing on video chatting on the computer with young people....and lets be honest here...a lot of it is because of sexual or flirting manners. Hell, Chat Roulette is either full of perverted old men or barely legal teens.

With that said, i could EASILY see video chat on phone increase in popularity with the younger generation, but only if there is a standard format that worked across all platforms. (Fring is a good start).
  10.    #10  
    Just like camera was a big thing in cell phones I htink Video chat will become big too. Plus you just dont wanna be left behind.
    I'm in the same boat as some others here, video chat is not something I'm looking for in a smartphone. Seems like it'd be cool to use once or twice or on a special occasion but overall I would never use it on a regular basis. Most of my phone calls occur in my car using my handsfree, other than that, I mostly text message friends.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I use skype to talk to my kids when I'm at the office on a late night or my daugter wants to tell me goodnight when she spends the night at a friends.

I'd use it alot if I had it on a phone or a slate, but it would have to be an open standard like skype or facetime so that it could work phone to pc or mac as well. No proprietary crap.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Video chat will be a big deal especially in the US. Video chat and VOIP is nothing new overseas only in the US and Canada. And once again if Apple adds a feature to their phone then "obviously" they invented it. As more and more smartphone manufacturers adopt this technology it will catch on like texting and will not be a big deal.

Just look at laptops more are coming standard with webcams
    I don't know any laptops that DON'T come with one anymore.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I consider Video Chat a gimmick that I personally will probably use once to see how it works and never touch again.
    I probably wouldn't even use it the one time.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    +1 to Skype
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Would love to have Skype video chat... usually have access to WIFI when I deploy and it would be so much easier to video chat with my kids using the phone instead of carrying the laptop around...
    It wont be long before we start seeing these operating systems on tvs like android ios and webos. So therefore when we do get this familys will be able to talk with other family members in there living room. I think this could really be huge. Imagine talking to someone who is overseas who is in the military There will be a demand.

I dont see a problem with getting these capabilities on the phone. Very soon it will be a big thing. Once enough people have access to it they will be using it.
  19.    #19  
    I wonder if anyone can make an app to connect to facetime? And if H/P would do it? I read somewhere, facetime is open. So I guess Ruby with his history of iTunes masquerade may make a facetime app. Anyone knows?