1.    #1  
    Now that HP has webOS the next challenge to make it the mainstream OS in the smartphone arena is to find a way to compete with iTunes. Interesting artcle: Why "iPhone Killers" Must Target iTunes | Markets | Minyanville.com
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I don't get why HP and others don't get on board with amazon to make their digital content more appealing, at least in the short term. It seems like it would be a quick and efficient fix to the itunes problem. At it's current state I don't find Amazon to be much of a real competitor, but if they could male decent software for desktop that would work with Android, WebOS, RIM, etc. it would become much more useabe.

Even if HP were to create a legit itunes competitor and got the apps, I still wouldn't think they would have an iphone killer. To do this they are gunna need to come out with a new kiler feature that people suddenly believe they need to get by. The reason apple is so successful is they have been the ones pioneering these killer features and everyone else is left playing catch up. Make Apple play catch up for once and maybe they will have an iphone killer.
    They need a DRM free store with prices slightly lower than itunes (Not even by much even $.05 would be a huge incentive to use their store)
    Perhaps they would have more luck incentivizing pTunes by offering something like zune pass. I know this isn't the most popular music solution but if they could get the price point jussst right, it could get people out of the mindset that they NEED to own their digital media.
  5.    #5  
    The real challenge I believe is to create an eco-system around what ever system, (zune pass,DRM free store etc) they ultimately choose and a conduit that is both easily accessible and user friendly. Something that would come prepackaged on all their products i.e., computers, tablets, phones etc.

they should buy rhapsody...
    The should just use amazon. I can't see HP being apple and owning everything top to bottom...

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    The should just use amazon. I can't see HP being apple and owning everything top to bottom...
    I think eventually that should be their goal. As shown with webOS, it can be really detrimental if compatibility is broken with a service owned by a competitor. As I said above though, if they could get amazon to make a native desktop app that works well with all smartphone platforms it would be a huge plus for everyone except apple.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I think eventually that should be their goal. As shown with webOS, it can be really detrimental if compatibility is broken with a service owned by a competitor. As I said above though, if they could get amazon to make a native desktop app that works well with all smartphone platforms it would be a huge plus for everyone except apple.
    I agree, that would be a huge step.

What WebOS compatibility was broken by a service owned by a competitor? You're not talking about iTunes are you? If Palm had used the published APIs for iTunes (like a couple dozen other companies do, including RIM), there would have been no compatibility issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    What WebOS compatibility was broken by a service owned by a competitor? You're not talking about iTunes are you? If Palm had used the published APIs for iTunes (like a couple dozen other companies do, including RIM), there would have been no compatibility issues.
    There have been ongoing compatibility issues with google voice, which caused the developer of gdail to give up on the app. Not that google did anything wrong updating their service, but it is an example of a loss of functionality on webOS due to a competitor. Stop trying to act like everything everyone posts on here is a personal jab at apple.
  12. kbo
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    +1

A nice app on webos for purchasing amazon music would be great too.
    True challenge is 2 get the phone out 1st
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    they should buy rhapsody...
    That would be great. I believe very soon Hp is going to be more recognize than they are. They really need WebOs up and running.
    I see HP failing if they try to be apple.

Apple is good at the whole closed ecosystem thang.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    I see HP failing if they try to be apple.

Apple is good at the whole closed ecosystem thang.
    That's very true, which is why HP could be very successful with an open ecosystem thing, built around webOS. IMO, People would welcome another choice that wouldn't be so constricting.

If it is all about WebOS, then it is all about marketing and selling apps. I challenge HP to put a stop to this ridiculously geo-limited App Catalog and make it truly global like iTunes and the Android Market.
    Why can't they open up the App Catalog?? Please!!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I also think, or hope at least, that HP is going in as the "anti-apple". Similar top down everything owned/created by their company, so do not have to worry about OS not running good on some other OEM device, like palmOS did and Android currently, but with freedom and openess to explore from there. They have said they leaving webOS as is and really support the homebrew and the work they have done, hopefully they keep up that attitude down the road. Great things could come of this. There is no reason to try and hurry to clone the success of apple, they made more in their first quarter than apple made in 6 mo, and they don't even sell phones yet. There is room in the market for all types of consumers, everyone has their own preference, why go after the same type of audience as someone else who already has everyone who is looking for that type of device. Be the other guy.
    besides what are we looking for? An apple killer or android one? Android is not far from surpassing rim as #1 OS.