Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. kbo
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    According to this article, there appears to be very little overlap between the two companies. This would allow them to provide many internal services (maps, search, news, etc.) to their new webos devices.

What do you guys think?
    hp needs to buy skype first. Yahoo seems too far from their core business to create any synergy.
    ^^ Agreed - Skype would be a much better fit. Yahoo just doesn't seem to make sense to me.
    No need for yahoo.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Well, I personally think it's not that weird of an idea. It could be the ecosystem lock in WebOS never had...
    NO!
  7. kbo
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Right now, Palm has to wait for Google to bring features to webos. With yahoo, hp can take the initiative to bring out the features themselves. Plus, they could benefit further on the ad dollars.
    Geez... I dont like any of Yahoo's services... I hate their chat... cant stand yahoo maps... and yahoo mail? only because I have a flickr account... I dont actually use the email for anything.
    I guess I'm the opposite then. I prefer Yahoo mail over gmail and absolutely love yahoo finance...best on the net imo. I also use google for contacts sync only because webos doesn't 2-way sync with yahoo....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Yahoo would be a good buy for HP if they are planning on doing I think they are trying to do.

And that would be to be part of the "big boys tech trio", which would essentially make it not a trio. What I am reffering to is the big three apple, google, and microsoft. I feel HP wants to be a big tech giant, and not just a hardware manufacturer.

With the purchase of Palm HP can now compete with all three apple, google, and microsoft in the smartphone market.(more competition with apple since that is the only other model that produces its own hardware and software)

With the purchase of webos HP can now compete head to head with apple IPAD, and any Window7 tablet, and any android Tablet.

Purchasing yahoo, will allow HP to compete more with microsoft and google, when it comes to search, and other info. like yahoo finance vs. googlefinance vs. msnfinance. The only thing missing would be its own web browser like Internet Explorer or Chrome OS or Safari. (but then i guess webos itself is a browser)
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    They'd first have to get AT&T interested in selling it... and I certainly don't think that will happen too soon.
    I don't believe that ATT owns yahoo, I know they have some type of joint venture, when it comes to home internet services. We have att for home phone and internet, and setting up the account makes a yahoo account, and our att email is done through yahoo. However I do not believe ATT owns yahoo as yahoo is a publicly traded company with its own stock ticker.
    Meh I think yahoo has a bad image with most and I don't think their services, even if useful, would help draw positive attention to webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    I guess I'm the opposite then. I prefer Yahoo mail over gmail and absolutely love yahoo finance...best on the net imo. I also use google for contacts sync only because webos doesn't 2-way sync with yahoo....
    Ding Ding Ding!

If there are two things Yahoo does very well.... its mail and finance.

Yahoo mail and Yahoo Finance are my favorites....

SHould HP buy Them? Skype would be HUGE.... so great question!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    I don't believe that ATT owns yahoo, I know they have some type of joint venture, when it comes to home internet services. We have att for home phone and internet, and setting up the account makes a yahoo account, and our att email is done through yahoo. However I do not believe ATT owns yahoo as yahoo is a publicly traded company with its own stock ticker.
    Yup, you are correct! I had thought AT&T purchased them, but it turns out that they just formed an alliance in some areas. The notice I got with my AT&T email account had made it sound like an acquisition.

Thanks for the correction!
    with the money they been throwing down, I wouldn't be surprised if they bought em both lol, then they would have it all, just need to put it all together
    I think of better choice for a declining internet boomer hp should consider buying is aol. That way they can control what the editors at engadget have to say and essentially use it as a Palm Propaganda Platform™.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Right now? No. We need to see if they are capable of fixing up Palm first. Yahoo would need an overhaul that would be of pretty epic proportions to get it up to Google competing standards... If they turn WebOS into a serious success then they may want an eco-system to sell...
    I can certainly see the advantages, but HP have got an enormous amount on their plate right now - I think they need to finish their meat before they eat their potatoes.

edit: (Can you tell I was hungry when I wrote this post? )
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Well, I personally think it's not that weird of an idea. It could be the ecosystem lock in WebOS never had...
    How, exactly? Yahoo isn't an eco-system - it is platform-independent.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    Ding Ding Ding!

If there are two things Yahoo does very well.... its mail and finance.

Yahoo mail and Yahoo Finance are my favorites....

SHould HP buy Them? Skype would be HUGE.... so great question!
    You could add Sports to that list.

I enjoy their sport sites, including Rivals.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast