Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. kbo
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    How, exactly? Yahoo isn't an eco-system - it is platform-independent.
    You could say the same about google, but they do have features on android phones that are not available on other platforms. Also, if hp owns yahoo, they would have another revenue stream through search and ads instead of just conceding this money to its competitors.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbo View Post
    You could say the same about google, but they do have features on android phones that are not available on other platforms. Also, if hp owns yahoo, they would have another revenue stream through search and ads instead of just conceding this money to its competitors.
    How important could that revenue stream be to HP? I doubt their ad revenue is anything that would interest a tech giant like HP.
  3. kbo
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    How important could that revenue stream be to HP? I doubt their ad revenue is anything that would interest a tech giant like HP.
    Diversifying is a good thing; Being dependent on a competitors product for your own product to succeed doesn't seem like a good business plan.
    That argument holds no water. They could also buy McDonald's and have a hamburger revenue stream. Geeze, dude, really?
  5. kbo
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    That argument holds no water. They could also buy McDonald's and have a hamburger revenue stream. Geeze, dude, really?
    Google + Android = HP/Palm competitor
    MS + WP7 = HP/Palm competitor

Now, explain where McDonald's fits in. I hate to bring Apple into the conversation, but they are making acquisitions to protect themselves in case the google partnership goes further south.
    Diversifying is a good thing; Being dependent on a competitors product for your own product to succeed doesn't seem like a good business plan.
    I fully agree that diversifying is a good thing, and as i've stated here and elsewhere, I agree that HP needs to do what it can to make webOS more independent so that it is not at the whim of their competitors. However, I don't see yahoo as a profitable endeavor for HP. Just because HP can afford to buy something, doesn't mean they should go out on an acquisition killing spree, buying everything that may, or may not help palm out. How long would it take for their ad revenue to make back the money they spend in the acquisition? My guess is a long time. It is my opinion that yahoo has a bad image and wouldn't help webOS get off the ground in any significant way. Tying an obscure platform to a dying service is not a great recipe for success.
  7. kbo
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I fully agree that diversifying is a good thing, and as i've stated here and elsewhere, I agree that HP needs to do what it can to make webOS more independent so that it is not at the whim of their competitors. However, I don't see yahoo as a profitable endeavor for HP. Just because HP can afford to buy something, doesn't mean they should go out on an acquisition killing spree, buying everything that may, or may not help palm out. How long would it take for their ad revenue to make back the money they spend in the acquisition? My guess is a long time. It is my opinion that yahoo has a bad image and wouldn't help webOS get off the ground in any significant way. Tying an obscure platform to a dying service is not a great recipe for success.
    Very well put.
    Google + Android = HP/Palm competitor
    MS + WP7 = HP/Palm competitor

Now, explain where McDonald's fits in. I hate to bring Apple into the conversation, but they are making acquisitions to protect themselves in case the google partnership goes further south.
    Please explain how Google and Microsoft (Microsoft what?) are like Yahoo. I'd love to know.

Yahoo is a media company, and a dying one at that. Google is a search engine company that dabbles in other Internet technologies. Microsoft is a large business clinging to an out-dated client-server technology approach.
  9. kbo
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Please explain how Google and Microsoft (Microsoft what?) are like Yahoo. I'd love to know.

Yahoo is a media company, and a dying one at that. Google is a search engine company that dabbles in other Internet technologies. Microsoft is a large business clinging to an out-dated client-server technology approach.
    Did you even look at the article I linked to? Check out the graphic and you will see that yahoo fills in the gap of services that hp/palm has to count on their competition for. I am not looking for a flame war here, just civil dialogue. Others here have provided well thought out reasons why they think it would not be a good idea without off-the-wall hamburger remarks.

I am on the fence to whether it would be a good idea or not. I think they would probably be better off getting a larger share of the market before considering the additional services. In the future purchasing yahoo or developing their own services may not be too bad of an idea though.
    Did you even look at the article I linked to? Check out the graphic and you will see that yahoo fills in the gap of services that hp/palm has to count on their competition for. I am not looking for a flame war here, just civil dialogue. Others here have provided well thought out reasons why they think it would not be a good idea without off-the-wall hamburger remarks.

I am on the fence to whether it would be a good idea or not. I think they would probably be better off getting a larger share of the market before considering the additional services. In the future purchasing yahoo or developing their own services may not be too bad of an idea though.
    I have stated I think it's a horrible idea, and given some reasons why. And I'm certainly not flaming you, so I'm sorry if it comes across that way. It's just that the whole notion is very ignorant to me. Yahoo is a company in turmoil. Combining that with Palm would be a huge mistake. People don't care about the Internet services tied into a mobile OS platform - in fact, they expect any Internet service they wish to work with the platform of their choosing. And this is as it should be. An arms race towards closed, media-centric platforms, when the focus should be on user control, is a grave error.

Yahoo is an aggregator, and not a platform akin to Google or even Bing, as you describe. Google and Microsoft own their technologies, and continue to produce new tech. Even when this new technology is trivial and does not contribute to the bottom line (which I think is stupid), it at least creates more draw to the brand, and gives a tool that can be used when building a true platform (think Google Maps and Earth, or Gmail). Yahoo does not own its own search technology. Yahoo farms out content creation (news articles are from AP and other sources), in most cases. Major portions that helped to tie yahoo.com into a platform and give them proprietary technologies have been closed or sold off (i.e. Geocities or HotJobs, or even Zimbra, which was supposed to supply the underlying technology to the new Yahoo Mail). Year-old CEO Bartz has yet to stop the bleeding and provide a compelling reason to both users and investors as to why Yahoo is the place to be. Further, she hasn't detailed where Yahoo's future will be. Earnings are up, but revenue is down - the earnings "increase" merely comes from cutting expenses, not true growth. There's not much hope in the aggregation business model, but it looks like Yahoo is moving further in that direction.

A business that is shrinking arguably is not attracting customers. It must be doing something wrong. So why would HP want a loser?

That is why I think the idea sucks. Happy now?
    I personally do not like Yahoo, I have come to equate it with old people from working in crash/break IT.
    The one bad thing i see of this idea, is that it would make services exclusive to each companys smartphone platform.

How much would it suck if all google services where available on android only, and all microsoft services available on winmo7, and then all yahoo services available on webos only. (I guess apple would end up screwed in such situation as they would not be owning a content/info service provider.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    The one bad thing i see of this idea, is that it would make services exclusive to each companys smartphone platform.

How much would it suck if all google services where available on android only, and all microsoft services available on winmo7, and then all yahoo services available on webos only. (I guess apple would end up screwed in such situation as they would not be owning a content/info service provider.
    Exactly! Mobile OS makers should be service-agnostic. Wasn't that the point of open-soruce in the first place?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12