View Poll Results: Should Palm follow Samsung's lead with Galaxy S

Voters
255. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes release simultaneously on every carrier

195 76.47%
  • Release with a short waiting period between carrier's (1 month)

20 7.84%
  • Release with traditional waiting period (6 months)

2 0.78%
  • Release with one month waiting period between carrier's and Let H/P pick up the advertising bill

38 14.90%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What do you guys think, if palm should follow Samsungs lead and release the new WebOS device on every carrier without much advertising support from them.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Hell yes. I hate exclusive devices. In the perfect world you pick your device then you pick your service.
    yes, and then run ads showing features and not carrier positioning.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    That means a lot of money coming out from H/P for advertising, instead of from carrier's. Though the quality of advertising would be lot better if H/P does it and avoid any pasty blondes
    they can afford it easily.
    Agreed to the fullest!!!

You guys read my mind
    if one of the big three networks will throw serious marketing money behind palms next device, I would do that. I'm talking droid or evo money. That will give them more incentive to sell the device.

however, I doubt any of them will do that. In that case, I hope palm releases on all carriers and hires some of the people that have been making these amazing homemade marketing videos lately
    You my friend, are a genius!
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    The Droid is a single-carrier branded device line, Verizon exclusive. It does a good job because it is seen as a flagship product for the carrier. Now, the problem we have here in Palm-land is that the two big carriers have their flagship products, and they will not replace the iPhone or Droid devices with a new Palm device as the flagship product, no matter how much better it may be compared to the competition.

AT&T doesn't spend a penny on ANY device that is not an exclusive device. They won't even put a product release on their web page for any non-Apple phone, and will quietly add products to the list of available devices when you go to buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Verizon spent $100 million marketing the Droid at launch. Let's say that Palm has a moderately successful launch and sells one to two million devices while sitting alongside iPhones, Androids, RIMs, Windows Phones, etc. Some easy math will tell you that marketing will cost $50 to $100 per device sold. I think that would be pretty hard to justiify when you are only getting a potential hardware sale and not a continuing new customer for years like the carriers do. Carriers have their own hardware brands to push like Droids so don't expect any particular love from their sales personnel at the retail level.
    I don't think HP needs to justify that investment into marketing at all. They are largely betting their tablet/netbook/smartphone future on WebOS. There's no way they decided to spend $1.2 billion on Palm without plans set to spend an similarly substantial amount or more on rebranding/marketing/R&D/etc. to make it a success where Palm could not.

In the short-term future, they are going to need to expand the customer base drastically for everything else to work, so a Galaxy S-esque launch makes sense. And when I say "Galaxy S-esque", I mean with a similarly-branded slate in tow, a la the Samsung Tab.
    I can see HP/Palm bringing out multiple WebOS Smartphones, some for general market that will launch on all Carriers at the same time and then some with special features (HDMI, 4G, Carrier specific Software emulators, etc…) that can launch with exclusive packages on individual carriers. The idea here is to get WebOS on many devices and carriers with different form factors that will appeal to gamers, business users, social networkers, students, IT professionals and other special user groups. This will allow carriers to advertise WebOS devices that are designed to fit their special capabilities and HP/Palm to advertise WebOS and its features.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Yes. The single carrier model, poor selection of exclusive carriers and excessively long exclusivity periods really hurt Palm with the Pre.
  13.    #13  
    Why have not palm come out on T mobile yet? I know they dont have much clout but I have lot of my friends who would switch to palm pre if it was available on T -mobile
    Yes and each phone should be a slightly different form factor as well. Again like the Galaxy. Gives each phone its own identity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Yes and each phone should be a slightly different form factor as well. Again like the Galaxy. Gives each phone its own identity.
    I can agree with you here for now, while they are getting webOS established, but I think in the long run they should be looking at what RIM is doing. Multiple hardware choices on all carriers. It would be great if they could pull it off.
  16. kbo
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I am getting a Pre Plus on verizon this week. I just hope they have a new webos phone on verizon by the time my one year upgrade comes along.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I can agree with you here for now, while they are getting webOS established, but I think in the long run they should be looking at what RIM is doing. Multiple hardware choices on all carriers. It would be great if they could pull it off.
    I rather have exactly the same phone on each carriers and not become android in fragmenting the hardware. What I do want is two new Web OS flag ship devices, one with physical keyboard, one without and let people chose what they want. This way the support is almost same for both devices hence reducing fragmentation and cost at the same time putting out two devices for the cost of one.
  18.    #18  
    i think t-mobile and sprint will gain most by advertising for palm's new web OS device.
    I say yes since it took forever for me to enjoy WebOS on GSM. Plus while I was waiting I rarely saw a good ad from either Verizon or Sprint.

Thankfully Palm will have HP's guidance with advertising and we won't have to deal with another Modernista horror show.
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by snotball007 View Post
    I say yes since it took forever for me to enjoy WebOS on GSM. Plus while I was waiting I rarely saw a good ad from either Verizon or Sprint.

Thankfully Palm will have HP's guidance with advertising and we won't have to deal with another Modernista horror show.
    I agree, carriers will really not do justice to advertising. But what about promotions? Like I bought my pre plus from Verizon because they had free hotspot and brought the price down to 29.99 and allowed to upgrade even before my 2 years were up.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast