View Poll Results: Should Palm follow Samsung's lead with Galaxy S

Voters
255. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes release simultaneously on every carrier

195 76.47%
  • Release with a short waiting period between carrier's (1 month)

20 7.84%
  • Release with traditional waiting period (6 months)

2 0.78%
  • Release with one month waiting period between carrier's and Let H/P pick up the advertising bill

38 14.90%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I agree. BLITZ the media with good ads about the device, NOT the carrier. Put the ads in peoples faces as much as possible. Let the "cool factor", ala the iPhone, Droid, and Evo, do the rest.
    The Saint
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I agree, carriers will really not do justice to advertising. But what about promotions? Like I bought my pre plus from Verizon because they had free hotspot and brought the price down to 29.99 and allowed to upgrade even before my 2 years were up.
    Promotions should be the last step. If a phone is, ascending order; built well (Pre has had a bit of a problem with this), well educated front-line salespeople (again, another problem), and proper advertising then it shouldn't be a problem.

How many iPhone promotions do you see like what you got with the Pre?
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
  3.    #23  
    Do agree new pre needs to be well built and have a momentum going.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    The Droid is a single-carrier branded device line, Verizon exclusive. It does a good job because it is seen as a flagship product for the carrier.
    But it allows every other Android device on any carrier to ride on Verizon's marketing coattails.
    Releasing simultaneously on multiple carriers with a huge self-funded ad campaign focused on the device is the best model for driving sales numbers and helping webOS get to scale ASAP.

Palm could never afford to do this as they had to maintain a high profit margin per phone. HP, as a PC maker, is already in the business of operating on razor thin margins per device and has tremendous resources they can bring to bear. If they truly want to develop a webOS ecosystem that can compete with Android and iOS, it will have to start with getting lots of phones in the hands of consumers.

I disagree strongly that HP/Palm should follow the Galaxy model, though. The Galaxy will have different names and form factors on each carrier, and that will dilute mindshare. Palm needs to stick with a fairly small lineup, 2-3 handsets max, that have the same name and are as similar as possible across carriers.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    Releasing simultaneously on multiple carriers with a huge self-funded ad campaign focused on the device is the best model for driving sales numbers and helping webOS get to scale ASAP.

Palm could never afford to do this as they had to maintain a high profit margin per phone. HP, as a PC maker, is already in the business of operating on razor thin margins per device and has tremendous resources they can bring to bear. If they truly want to develop a webOS ecosystem that can compete with Android and iOS, it will have to start with getting lots of phones in the hands of consumers.

I disagree strongly that HP/Palm should follow the Galaxy model, though. The Galaxy will have different names and form factors on each carrier, and that will dilute mindshare. Palm needs to stick with a fairly small lineup, 2-3 handsets max, that have the same name and are as similar as possible across carriers.
    I always felt palm should make two flagships devices, one with physical keyboard and another with everything exactly the same but no physical keyboard. This way the get two devices, more options in hands of people and maintain two devices for the cost of one.
  7.    #27  
    I havenot seen any good commercials from H/P either.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Where I live, the ENV line of phones is the de facto phone; everyone has it. The Pre 2/ Pre 4g could be exclusive, but Palm needs the Pixi 2 (or for all our sakes, rename it the Centro Web or something like that) to be universal.
    I rather have exactly the same phone on each carriers and not become android in fragmenting the hardware. What I do want is two new Web OS flag ship devices, one with physical keyboard, one without and let people chose what they want. This way the support is almost same for both devices hence reducing fragmentation and cost at the same time putting out two devices for the cost of one.
    I am all about this concept. I think people are underestimating the power of peripherals and accessories. There is no doubt in my mind that the "dock" concept of the iPod led to consumer investments that legitimized the purchase of iPhones. The peripheral market exploded in a brand new way that capitalized on Apple's minimization of exterior design fragmentation. Everybody builds ip(h)o___ accessories because they know that (1) there's a tremendous market and (2) the design will keep and reduce their R&D and fabrication costs. Everybody buys the accessories, gradually building their unwitting loyalty to the brand.

I think that the TS can have the same effect, and Palm-specific handsets in general, if they can pick a form factor or two and stick with it. Palm doesn't have a proprietary 30pin connector cable that they can charge $20 for a cable. It does, however, have the capacity and position to make a solid charge for 3-5 years on the same form factors and present to the market an alternative that's still consistent in design.
    In the perfect world you pick your device then you pick your service.
    Well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by emuneee View Post
    Hell yes. I hate exclusive devices. In the perfect world you pick your device then you pick your service.
    that's how it is in the philippines, but i'm pretty sure that ain't a perfect world.
    ok heres what they do,

1) announce a tablet and a new generation of webos phones

2) release both the tablet and the phones on all four

3) advertise both (but muchmore for the tablet)

this way people who see the tablet will also want the phone too, as long as the tablet and phones are similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzien View Post
    I am all about this concept. I think people are underestimating the power of peripherals and accessories. There is no doubt in my mind that the "dock" concept of the iPod led to consumer investments that legitimized the purchase of iPhones. The peripheral market exploded in a brand new way that capitalized on Apple's minimization of exterior design fragmentation. Everybody builds ip(h)o___ accessories because they know that (1) there's a tremendous market and (2) the design will keep and reduce their R&D and fabrication costs. Everybody buys the accessories, gradually building their unwitting loyalty to the brand.
    Stretching this concept a little further, more people are moving to Apple desktops and laptops to support their iPod Touch's and iPhones. The iTunes portal has made them bring Apple OS computing into their Windows homes. The iPod/iPhone Trojan horse has spawned Apple's takeover of home computing.

Think about HP and their acquisition of WebOS and Palm and you can see that they're planning to leapfrog Apple into the OpenSource Web world of connected devices. Where AppleTV and other home control devices stumbled, HP/Palm WebOS just may triumph.

It behooves HP to invest in a Palm Pre/Pixi Trojan horse of its own, bringing WebOS into everyone's pockets and homes, too. Bravo HP for finding a way into the fray.

Take your time, get it right and blow the rest of the cloud-computing, web-grazing, scattershot designed competition out of the water.

-original Sprint Palm Pre owner (Palm V>Treo>Centro>Pre)
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    The Droid is a single-carrier branded device line, Verizon exclusive. It does a good job because it is seen as a flagship product for the carrier. Now, the problem we have here in Palm-land is that the two big carriers have their flagship products, and they will not replace the iPhone or Droid devices with a new Palm device as the flagship product, no matter how much better it may be compared to the competition.
    If the next Palm device is truly worthy of flagship status, there's no reason why Verizon can't brand it the Pre Droid (yeah biatches, the Pre was kickin *** before the Droid existed). For example, the HTC Incredible isn't a Droid anywhere else in the world, just for Verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post

I also like the spread like a virus release strategy. With Palm's current non existent market share, they need to forget about exclusives for the time being and get WebOS into the hands of as many people as possible just to get the word out and convert people to the best mobile OS out there. But yeah, it absolutely drives me up the wall how Samsung wastes perfectly good brand names for a phone that already has a name! They even say it's a Galaxy S in the commercials, but wait, it's also called 50 different names for 50 different carriers. *Face Palm*
    Sprint FrankenPre 2
    webOS 2.2.4
    Verizon donor
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I rather have exactly the same phone on each carriers and not become android in fragmenting the hardware. What I do want is two new Web OS flag ship devices, one with physical keyboard, one without and let people chose what they want. This way the support is almost same for both devices hence reducing fragmentation and cost at the same time putting out two devices for the cost of one.
    galaxy phones are not really fragmented except for the 1 with the front-facing camera and 1 with a keyboard....and thats not really fragmentation....they all have 1gz hummin' and a whole bunch of internalz the same
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    not a bad thought...i too do not like how many different but the same androids there are. Makes support super frustrating and annoying that even though you have a droid, one droid isn't as capable even though they look almost identical.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    the more people that experience WebOS the better. After you give it a go there is no question to why it's amazing. Get it everywhere and advertise the capabilites, not just talk about them...seeing is believing for a phone like this!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ibbrooks View Post
    It behooves HP to invest in a Palm Pre/Pixi Trojan horse of its own, bringing WebOS into everyone's pockets and homes, too. Bravo HP for finding a way into the fray.

Take your time, get it right and blow the rest of the cloud-computing, web-grazing, scattershot designed competition out of the water.

-original Sprint Palm Pre owner (Palm V>Treo>Centro>Pre)

Can we sue apple for attacking our computers with the only free, usable, mainstream music playing software that wasn't winamp? I agree it would be ideal for HP to infiltrate the lives of its customer base... but what can they do? What kind of software will they make that won't be considered corporate bloatware by the skeptics (aka: all) of the pc user population? They need a product as functional and visually appealing as itunes was at the time.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedrewitt View Post
    ok heres what they do,

1) announce a tablet and a new generation of webos phones

2) release both the tablet and the phones on all four

3) advertise both (but muchmore for the tablet)

this way people who see the tablet will also want the phone too, as long as the tablet and phones are similar.
    This is exactly right. I think the real delay with the phone is waiting for the tablet to be ready at the same time or earlier. And I think they need 2.0 for the tablet.

Carriers control phones these days - if they won't promote it you're in for a tough ride (even if you pay for your own ads). When you can't ride the coattails of the Droid buzz, the only way to really get promotion is an exclusive of some sort. I don't think Palm wants to go down that road again.

BUT, you can sell a tablet WITHOUT carriers. You still have to pay for your own promotion, but you don't have to rely on fickle carriers. HP can sell it to their large channel of corporate customers - without worrying which carrier each company has phone plan deals with. They can offer deals with purchases of computers, printers. etc.

They can offer a carrier or all of them the opportunity to throw in a 3g or 4g radio and sell data plans, but HP still controls the interaction more than the carrier in that case (like the iPad, Kindle, computers with integrated 3g, etc.)

If you have a new phone out on multiple carriers at the same time or shortly after featuring the same awesome OS, your advertising dollars go a lot further and push the carriers to actually care about the phone.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I would love to see it released on all the carriers simultaneously. But if HPalm is planning some sort of staggered release, I hope it's a short break between releases (1 month). I'm only 6 months into my Sprint Pre, and it's going strong, so I really don't care when the new hardware is released on Sprint. But for the sake of the webOS-loving community, I hope it's sooner rather than later.

I get the concept of carrier exclusivity, but what carrier is going to want the Pre2 exclusively, especially seeing how poorly the Pre/Pixi have done? Sprint has the Evo as its flagship now, Verizon has the Droid army, and At&t has the ubiquitous iPhone...It would be tough for a carrier or HP to put a dent in the mindshare of those devices, and I don't think they would gain anything through a 6 month or longer exclusivity deal. But I could be wrong.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast