1.    #1  
    This post brought to you by Foster's Lager - best served ice cold.

I recently weighed in on a thread where someone bought an HTC Hero and wondered why its video quality was poorer than the Pre. For an open forum like this (thanks, PreCentral!), the comments were pretty civil. But there were still the accusations of "FanBoie" and "It's a better phone!".

I'm sure it's been said on many threads I haven't read, but it's just a piece of hardware. It's a tool for whatever use you're looking for.

However, like all tools, I think there are two separate loyalties at work. One is to the device itself, and the other is to the manufacturer.

There is not one God-Device that is superior. Want billions of apps? iPhone. Want a big screen? Mostly Androids. Want great voice-quality? Motorola and Nokia. Enterprise integration? RIM. And then there are the carriers.

You pick the tool that most meets your individual needs.

When you consider the company behind the device though, then you get into religious battles.

When I think of the Palm-boosters (which I'm one of), I think of dedication to a company that was able to make a practical device from a concept that'd been played with by bigger players. The Newton was an awesome device. By the grace of Ebay I own representatives of most of these devices. Wrong time and place. Bill Gates tried to come up with a PDA as well, and I own several of these machines (one of which got me a good job while travelling). But Palm figured it out. The Palm Pilot was in the right place at the right time, with the right form factor.

That ethic has survived through all the acquisitions, spin-offs, re-acquistions, and liquidations. The Pre is a high concept that could have been executed better if the company executing had the right partners or funding.

There are now many form factors in play, many OS's, and many GUIs. Lots of cool hardware that does some things well, but not others. My wife and my son have LG Lotuses that they love. They're WAP devices, but clamshells with a full keyboard.

I like my Pre because for me it has the right balance of all these things. You may work for a big company that a RIM device does a better job in. Or you may just want to make phone calls.

No phone is better than another. A phone may be better suited to what you need to do than another. Dude that bought an HTC Hero and wanted to use it for video recording probably made a bad choice. But he didn't like his Pre for some reason.

Glad there are so many folks fighting in this space, though, because it gives us consumers a good choice. Unless you bought a Kin.

I have a device that meets my needs. I believe in the vision of the designers. And the makers of this device now have the backing of a gargantuan company also invested in their vision.
    Nope, the Pre is just a better phone... LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    This post brought to you by Foster's Lager - best served ice cold.
    ...Glad there are so many folks fighting in this space, though, because it gives us consumers a good choice. Unless you bought a Kin.
    For those two things you just got a thanks.

And yes, I believe my Pre+ is great because it suits various needs that I have. It seems to do just a little bit of everything.

Sure, my buddy's BlackBerry is better for e-mails and has BBM, the iPhone is the smartphone for the masses, and Android is good if you just want a little green robot.
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness