Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I have the Treo 270. Just looked at the Pocket PC with T-Mobile. Does anyone have any experience on the Pocket PC or with T-Mobile? I travel alot to Europe and have had some problems with Cingular, my present mobile provider.

I would appreciate your help on this.
    Not yet, but I am thinking about getting some of T-Mobile's equipment. What would you recommend?

Also, what are the problems you are having?

homer
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I go about once a month to various countries in Europe and have had problems with reception. Although I like the 270, I can't stand that you can't read the screen in sunlight and that the ringer volume is so low. Otherwise it is a great machine. I don't know if the Pocket PC is any better.
    Originally posted by bjablonka I have the Treo 270. Just looked at the Pocket PC with T-Mobile. Does anyone have any experience on the Pocket PC or with T-Mobile? I travel alot to Europe and have had some problems with Cingular, my present mobile provider.
    I just switched from SprintPCS over to T-Mobile in the Washington, DC area, and so far I'm very happy with the decision. The call quality on GSM and CDMA (well, at least on 2G CDMA) is equivalent - I couldn't tell any difference between one or the other. The rate plans on T-Mobile are much better (I have 3,000 anytime minutes - regional - for $59), and their customer support is much better so far.

Coverage, obviously, will not be as broad as Sprint or Verizon ... but they're getting there. I moved an older dual-band SPCS phone down to a $10/month retention plan and carry that around in the car for emergency purposes.

Can't wait to use it on my next trip to Europe. Oh, and SMSing - I mean real GSM-style SMS has been great. The first day I got the phone I was SMSing with a colleague in London. Awesome.

Good luck whatever you choose!

-Doug
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Well, I just picked up a Pocket PC, the price was $499. The unit is about 1/3rd larger than the 270, but the colors are great and you can read them under any circumstances. Also, it is so nice to hear the unit ring and not lose many phone calls because you can't hear the ringing. Will try GPRS etc. tomorrow and will let you know.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Well, I had the Pocket PC with T-Mobile now for several days. Let me say first that I still like my 270, however, right now I prefer the Pocket PC: Color is great even outside, your can hear the phone ringing, GPRS works great, Fax programs (send and receive) works very well, reception is much better thn with the Treo. Now these are the important points for me and they are totally subjective. I think Sorry to say, but I think I will be selling my 270.
    I had read a review that said the battery life on the T-Mobile devices was bad. What are your experiences with it so far?

Thanks for posting your experiences, this is good info to know! Looks like this device may be be worth A look.
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Originally posted by jonecool
    I had read a review that said the battery life on the T-Mobile devices was bad. What are your experiences with it so far?

Thanks for posting your experiences, this is good info to know! Looks like this device may be be worth A look.
    I own a Treo 270 and the new T-Mobile PPC right now, and I have to say that the PPC may have the better battery life.

No formal tests, here, though. Just my experience. I took a business trip today from Colorado to Michigan with the T-Mobile PPC. I surfed at the airport for about a half hour, plus made two 5-10 minute voice calls. I played MP3's for two hours on the flight while playing Solitaire and Wordsearch. When I stepped off the plane, I was at 80% battery life left.

I honestly don't know where reviewers got bad battery life with this phone/device...it has been solid with much use by me over the last few weeks.

I'm not some PPC nut, either...I love my Treo, still, but this PPC just does more at this time, including GPRS and true Word and Excel support (no conduits).
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Fully agree with your accessment. I was using it all weekend without recharging and had 73% left. I know as a fact that the battery life is better than that of my 270.