1.    #1  
    My screen on my phone got stepped on. So to repair it costs 150 plus 25 for a loaner. I asked to be able to upgrade to a 270 and Handspring is very non service orintated. They are a horrible company to do business with. Any suggestions out there to replace or upgrade and not break the bank.
    I can't help with your replacement problem, but I can say that Handspring has been very responsive to my service and support needs. Granted, wish I wasn't on my third Treo 180, but each time there's been a problem, the support people have been very easy to work with. Most recently, I called HS on 8/12 and had the replacement 8/14, with no charges whatsoever.

Others have had issues, but my experience has been very positive. I love my Treo and recommend it to everyone who will listen.

Some providers offer 'insurance', not sure if HS does, but there's nothing they can do to avoid screens getting stepped on, and there will always be a charge for those kind of repairs.

Handspring has been my brand since my Visor Deluxe, and will remain so into the future.

-G
    Impatience makes you UGLY.
    I am now on my fourth replacement and it is DOA. Handspring is obviously inept at servicing their own product and should be embarrased. I asked for a new treo 180 and was told that the only thing they could do was send my another refurbished 180 and waive the $25.00 charge. This combined with the lousy voicestream data service has pushed me to purchase another device from someone else. I would have no problem with a refurbished phone, if it were actually "refurbished". However, it is in my eyes obvious that these units are not refurbished, or even tested before they leave Handspring. As a person who relies on products like this daily I could never recommend Handspring as a provider for any necessary piece of hardware.
    I'd echo the dissatisfaction with Handspring.

The speaker on my Treo 180 died - a known issue if ever there was one- so I have to send it back for repair. I refused to pay the $25 on the ground that they shouldn't get income for selling a faulty product, but they wouldn't waive the fee. I complained again via email and received a form response that said

Thank you for sending your comment to Handspring regarding our repair and replacement policy. We take customer concerns seriously and appreciate the time you have spent sending us your email. We hope the repair on your Treo solves any problems you may be experiencing. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.
    which is really worse than no response at all. Anyway, that will leave me without a phone for 2 weeks, with the consequence that I might just replace it with another GSM phone and ebay off the treo. Even if I decide to keep it, one sour experience like this is enough to put me off ever buying a handspring product again. Of course, this is bearing in mind that apparently very few people are still on their original treo.

And they didn't even include a label with the box for the RMA. Heh.

-Colin
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    See, my problem is that I love the treo - for my needs, its the single best product out there. I didn't like the I300 and I dont like the kyo 7135. I also didn't really need Color, and I hate Sprint. Hence I have the 180 (purchased when it went on sale initially).Attached as I am to the idea of a Palm-Phone-Wireless Device, HS has proven incompetent in so many ways.

I've been trying to get a replacement b/c of a speaker problem. The speaker cuts in and out intermittently on calls. When the replacement came, it was DOA. Unfortunately, they can't seem to send me another replacement b/c I have open RMAs even after sending the DOA unit back to HS. I have tried to set up no less than 3 replacements since then, all getting rejected by the system due to open RMAs. The internal communication there is just pitiful...
  6. smm
    I have a dead speaker for the last two weeks now. Since I live outside the USA, It seems like a long journey to send the treo for repair or get a refurbished one and then there is a big chance that it will be DOA. I am tempted to open the case and fix it my self since the problem may be as easy as a loose wire. Has any body else did that. Am I puting the warranty at risk. Please advice.

Thx
    My Treo 180 speaker died 13 months after purchase. I hobbled along for 1 more month, and now the entire unit is DOA. I treated this thing with great care for the year, so this is pretty ridiculous. Seems like that 1 year warranty is perfectly timed to coincide with the average lifespan of this product. Handspring won't even answer my polite queries regarding their well-known, pervasive speaker problem.

I'm a huge PalmOS fan, but the quality control and customer support/retention policies at Handspring really suck. I'll wait for the next products out of Palm, who have much better quality control.
    Originally posted by spittle
    My Treo 180 speaker died 13 months after purchase. I hobbled along for 1 more month, and now the entire unit is DOA. I treated this thing with great care for the year, so this is pretty ridiculous. Seems like that 1 year warranty is perfectly timed to coincide with the average lifespan of this product. Handspring won't even answer my polite queries regarding their well-known, pervasive speaker problem.

I'm a huge PalmOS fan, but the quality control and customer support/retention policies at Handspring really suck. I'll wait for the next products out of Palm, who have much better quality control.
    First, a disclaimer. I'm a big Treo fan, but not much of a Palm OS fan, and Handspring has has been bery-bery good to me, although thankfully my 270 has worked very nicely for eleven months -contract's almost up!!- so I haven't needed much support. That said, here is my view on support: I don't *want* support from Handspring *nor* Palm. I *expect* Sprint or T-Mobile, the place that sells me the phone and that is down the street, to support it. When I was a Sprint/Samsung phone person for years, it never ocurred to me to call Samsung. If I buy a Sony TV or a Porsche Boxter I expect the place that sold me the product to support it. Then again, if next time I again want to be the first on the block to have a Treo or whatever product, I should expect or at least not be surprized by implementation problems with the product, support, accessory availability, etc.

Rodolfo
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Originally posted by coljac
    I'd echo the dissatisfaction with Handspring.

The speaker on my Treo 180 died - a known issue if ever there was one- so I have to send it back for repair. I refused to pay the $25 on the ground that they shouldn't get income for selling a faulty product, but they wouldn't waive the fee.

-Colin

When the speaker died in my 180, they quoted $25 cost IF it was determined that you had screwed it up yourself. (for example, if you had installed some bad software that had disabled the speaker somehow). If it was determined to actually be a hardware problem, they never charged you anything.

That's a reasonable policy IMO, and I don't think it's changed. You might call them again.