Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Occasionally people talk about missing PalmOS desktop. There are a bunch of 3rd party sync tools that connect to MS software. But we don't talk about what could happen if they really released a webOS desktop client. HP has the technical ability. They talk scale and how big webOS could be.

This is a bit of fantasy, but I think it has a good chance of coming true.

-----------------

Do you remember the PalmOS Desktop client? It contained your Calendar, Contacts, Todo list, & Memos. I think there was even a photo sync I didn't use.

You installed it on your PC and it gave you access to all of the PIM data that was stored on your Palm. You could sync your PC and Palm with the touch of a button. You could add data to your Palm, by entering it on your PC. You could use copy and paste to put data in the Palm Desktop. It was an easy way to get recipes onto your Palm. If you kept your shopping list in Memos you could open it on your Palm, or your PC.

So when do you think the webOS Desktop is going to be released? I'm hoping it is available with webOS 2.0.

I'm sure you know the world's largest PC company pre-installs on every HP PC: an email program with contact management, and a limited set of Office productivity apps. I think there is a calendar app with those programs also.

Since they now own software that does the same thing, it is probably pretty safe to say HP will probably begin pre-installing a webOS Desktop program (not dual boot, or as an OS) on all their Windows PCs also. They don't have to license it, and it would be a nice set of tools to offer on HP PCs. If you have a Palm phone they will probably give it to you as free download.

For new PC buyers, without a webOS phone, there will be an easy migration tool to transfer all of that PIM info into the webOS Desktop. Then all of those lucky people will be able to use the cool interface we use on our phones. They will find out they can even access their calendar and contacts online with Gmail (if they selected that option). They didn't have web access with the pre-installed MS programs they had been using. Just having the web access will probably inspire some folks to try out using the webOS Desktop.

Folks who do try webOS Desktop will add their email accounts and all of the contacts that are scattered around in those different email accounts will all mesh together and show up in one contact list.

There will be a place to add their Facebook ID and all of the friends from Facebook will show up in their contacts also (hopefully they will have a way to limit who all gets added). Then they will notice a lot of their contacts have profile photos that came in from Facebook. They never had so many photos in their contact lists before.
    (I don't know if this will be possible, they have to figure out a way to do it:

Someone will tell them, "Oh, did you know, if you install the webOS Desktop on your other computers, all of your data will automatically sync to those computers also.")

There might even be a search box in the new webOS Desktop labeled "Universal Search". Folks will try it out and find out it is really handy to have on their PC.

If you buy a new HP PC, and you already have a webOS phone, you will just sign into your Palm profile on the PC, add your email accounts, and it will sync all of your data to your PC from the cloud. Then you will have PC access to the calendar, contacts, notes, and memos on your phone. Any changes you make in the webOS Desktop will just show up on your phone automatically and vice versa.

Now, what happens when those folks who have been using the webOS Client on their PC, decide they need a new phone? Maybe they will already know, hopefully the salesman will tell them; all of the data that is in the webOS client at home, will automatically sync to their new phone, but only if they buy one from Palm.

If they buy the Palm phone, he will activate it, and give it to the customer. He will show them where to sign into their HP Palm webOS profile, and where to enter their email addresses. Then all the data that they need on this new phone will start downloading automatically. In just a couple of hours: their calendar, contacts, todo list, and memos will be on their new phone. All they had to do was sign in. All of that data will stay synced between their PC and their smart phone automatically.

Then when they decide to buy one of those new tablets, they will find out if they buy a Palm tablet, all they have to do is sign on to their HP Palm Profile, add their email addresses, and everything will be on the new tablet also.

---------------

Fantasy? I think it will happen.
    Actually I think it will happen too. A recent Tech Crunch article mentioned that there was a rumored syncing WebOS and Windows application in development, as HP tries to create their ecosystem.
    I don't want a desktop client. I want a mobileme solution. the idea of webOS is that everything is in the cloud, why do I need a desktop client? and frankly, I wouldnt mind paying 100/year for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage91 View Post
    I don't want a desktop client. I want a mobileme solution. the idea of webOS is that everything is in the cloud, why do I need a desktop client? and frankly, I wouldnt mind paying 100/year for that.
    Because you need something on your desktop that pulls information from the cloud.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I'd like an ACTUAL desktop WebOS. I guess we'll see this with netbooks.

that said, I don't want to see a solution like OP is talking about. WebOS is about Synergy.
    i think the webOS "desktop" will be the webOS tablet/netbook. No separate desktop syncing required because they all sync to the cloud. Of course Palm has to enable multiple devices on a single Palm Profile first.

I think desktops as we know it are slowly dying. Its a post-PC era.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Because you need something on your desktop that pulls information from the cloud.
    I have my Palm profile that has my email/calendars. I still dont see why I need the desktop client if my palm profile has all that info. I want to be able to login to my profile and view my email, calendars, texts, etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage91 View Post
    I have my Palm profile that has my email/calendars. I still dont see why I need the desktop client if my palm profile has all that info. I want to be able to login to my profile and view my email, calendars, texts, etc
    It's so you can have a local copy on your desktop/laptop. If you're on a business trip, don't have internet, or would rather use a desktop client to edit some cloud information, this could be useful. There's some ways to do this already, like using google sync with Outlook 2007 to synchronize desktop calendar/email/contacts to google and thus to Palm, or using Thunderbird with Lightning and Zindus extensions to do the same thing. If HP can simplify the ordeal, then hey, that's great.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Doubt it will happen. There are already third party apps (Pocketmirror, MissingSync, CompanionLink)to sync calendar, contacts, and tasks locally with Outlook and there are free programs (Google calendar sync, Soocial, Toodledo) to sync calendar, contacts, and tasks in the cloud. Why would Palm duplicate what webOS is already leveraging? It is another piece of software that they would have to maintain. Maybe now that HP is on board they can afford to put resources on this, but I don't see it.
    god I miss palm desktop. This would make me so happy. Please email hp , you said it wonderfully.
    Also, if they make a webOS desktop, need to make both Windows and Mac OS X version.
    Dude,

That's the most beautiful thing I've read in a while. And YES, HPalm could do this and it could be beautiful.

What I think some on here are missing is the difference betweem 'CAN do' and 'does ELEGANTLY'. Several 'we already have' solutions have been mentioned, but none of them functions with simplicity and power. Syncing to Google Docs / Calendar etc. CAN be done, but itls cumbersome and limited. Sort of like saying Webmail already dows mail, so who needs a mail client like TBird or Outlook. Believe me, I'm doing Goog Docs to an app, Google Calendars to WebOS, and using Companion Link To sync with Palm Desktop etc. Yes, it all works, but is patchwork that begs for a universal desktop, laptop,tablet, PDA, Phone client that keeps it all powerfully local, but leverages the cloud for data uniformity.

WebOS desktop that synced to the cloud like you described could really separate WebOS from the others. It would smoke Apple's shoehorned iTunes approach and become a major marketing and selling point. WebOS devices would handle Synergy effortlessly. But PC, Mac, Linux, and other platforma could have the client versions to get the job done to keep all your data even across multiple devices.

I for one would love this.
    Patrick Horne
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Yes, but...

I used Palm Desktop for years before going with the flow to Outlook. Palm Desktop was clearly better designed than Outlook, but who's to say a new product would be as good? And it would cost a lot of time and effort that I would prefer to go into the actual phones. I doubt there would be much sales return from such a project TBH.

Perhaps it would be better if a fraction of the effort was put into supporting synchronisation with the desktop products already out there, like Mozilla or iCal?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Android seems to be doing fine without a desktop client. No reason for HP to waste valuable developer resources on a mostly unused desktop client.
    I don't miss my old Palmos desktop at all. I can pull down all my calendars and contacts through gmail. Notes are synced through google docs and offline access to google docs is promised.

MS exchange compatibility and increased email security would be nice, though.
    Even with cloud computing, I see a use for Desktop syncing and data access. A good desktop client will extend the capabilities of the smartphone into a form factor that more user friendly than a small screen and micro keyboard. The use of a Desktop extends the Home – Office – Mobile experience to give the user complete synergy. I already use Google Calendar on my office computer to schedule my office tasks and meetings so they sync to my phone. This work process could be easily be extended with a well designed Desktop application to control your calendar, to-do lists, email, documents, media and files from wherever you are and whatever device you are using.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I think it defeats the purpose of webOS. Just use the browser. I use Google to store my contacts and use GMail, and I can access the same set of information on just about any device, anywhere. Much better than a desktop client, IMO.
    Most (if not nearly all) corporate users have exchange which will sync to webOS. Your average home user is not using Outlook, they are using a Yahoo/Hotmail/Google account and that will sync to webOS.

Palm/HP will not develop a desktop client for webOS. 2 way, wireless, automatic and/or on demand sync via the tubes. Sync from anywhere at anytime without the need for a software package and a laptop.....that's the future (and in most respects where webOS is now).
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    EI already use Google Calendar on my office computer to schedule my office tasks and meetings so they sync to my phone. This work process could be easily be extended with a well designed Desktop application to control your calendar, to-do lists, email, documents, media and files from wherever you are and whatever device you are using.
    Why not use desktop clients that are already designed to perform these tasks without reinventing yet-another-mediocre-program that tries to perform all those functions. With Exchange Server (for business) or Google for personal/casual (and small business), you can sync all those items with existing desktop clients and mobile devices.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    I don't think there will be a desktop client but I do see palm/hp finally expanding on their mypalm site from 2007 and the palm profile which no uses. I see them doing something like MS did with the KIN devices.
    With the recent buys from HP it all fits: Snapfish for photos, nutsie for music....
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast