Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This guy is saying everything we all want to hear. He has been a huge supporter of webOS inside of HP from the get-go, and he brings optimism and excitement to the community. I personally love this guy, you can tell he has a deep seated passion for technology and innovation and his latest speach has left me completely ecstatic.

Some of his most recent statements about webOS, as reported on the front page here:

"Inside of HP with the 47,000 engineers I issued a challenge [...] for the HP engineers to go create apps, consumer apps [...] I stopped counting at 750 apps and my mailbox has totally exploded."

750 apps already in development??? That is truly great!

It gets better-

"We also support the homebrew guys. You hear about all the guys hacking phones and unlocking the phones, we actually encourage that. You can go out to PreCentral or any of the sites that support the Palm homebrew guys. they'll tell you how to unlock your phone and how you can download the homebrew sites. The homebrew guys have just done some phenomenal work from the standpoint of really unlocking the true power of webOS."

If anyone pays attention to what I post here, you know I am a pretty big optimist when it comes to webOS. I feel like this guy is truly validating all of the webOS supporters around here, and making the haters jobs increasingly difficult.

What do you guys think about the most recent news? I personally am more excited for webOS now than ever, if this guy has any say in it, we will be around here for a long time discussing the pre 2, 3, 4....You get it.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    yup, right there with you. The merger seems better all the time. Very exciting times. Not sure what I'll do with my PalmPad, but I'ma gonna get one. And I think the Pre 2 is gonna be bada$$
    I'm Lovin' it!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bjs188 View Post
    yup, right there with you. The merger seems better all the time. Very exciting times. Not sure what I'll do with my PalmPad, but I'ma gonna get one. And I think the Pre 2 is gonna be bada$$

Haha U know whatcha mean with the palmpad. I don't know if my demand for a tablet whose main function is printing stuff, but It'll be hard to pass up an ipad with multitasking.
    Yeah I'm pretty happy about what he's saying, but not happy enough to put my money where my mouth is and buy up some HPQ. He's off to a good start in the talk department, and he's selling his product just like anybody helping to run a business. Those hardware announcements can't come soon enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I'm Lovin' it!
    -McDonalds

And ditto.
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
    Nice to see someone is optimistic with webOS
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    This is first company, which support homebrew. It is amazing. I hope they will support ever.
    This guy is pretty amazing...
    Yes. He is my hero
    i hope the web blogs pay attention to this.

Attention engadget and gizmodo! "HP WANTS YOU TO HACK YOUR PHONE!"

Is hack a politically correct term for what we do? I just wonder. Whatever, I love how they support the community!
  12.    #12  
    I don't know what the politically correct term would be, but I like how homebrew just unformally encompasses all of the hacking related activities here. Its much better than roming or flashing or rooting imo.
    great news but how about some upgraded hardware to go with those apps
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I don't know what the politically correct term would be, but I like how homebrew just unformally encompasses all of the hacking related activities here. Its much better than roming or flashing or rooting imo.
    In short, homebrewing is a poorman's solution to the lack of a real software development kit. iPhones and Androids don't need it.

Rooting, ROMing, and flashing are more foundational activities than homebrewing to get at additional features not normally allowed by the OS or to make OS-level customizations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    In short, homebrewing is a poorman's solution to the lack of a real software development kit. iPhones and Androids don't need it.

Rooting, ROMing, and flashing are more foundational activities than homebrewing to get at additional features not normally allowed by the OS or to make OS-level customizations.
    Well, now, thats a fairly broad statement you just made.

Morever, it isnt a fact, as you imply, but just your opinion... the FACT is that no single device can fullfill every user's needs.. and, even more true than that, no device is without its shortcomings, and problems, hardware or software, even at the base/OS level.

There are a siginificiant amount of Adroid and iOS hackers out there.. along with WinMo.. the problem for them is that they are formally unadvocated by the device manufacturers, yet DESPIE that inherent resistance, . ROMs for all of the OS's are STILL all over the internet.. just in case you havent paid attention!

With this statement from Phil M. from HP regarding the homebrew efforts, that isn't the case with WebOS.. HP certainly appears to appreciate the efforts the community makes.

I'd make a HUGE prognistication that most, if not ALL of the personnel at HP, particlaurly the engineers, have overclocked Pre+'s, with Preware installed, and a significant amount of patches on thier devices.

Last edited by LCGuy; 07/30/2010 at 09:15 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

16.    #16  

Maybe your right, I could personally care less though. For me, my phone is actully a hobby. I enjoy home brew, and the community that gets created around it. The iPhone can have a billion and two features but I'll never own one because for me, homebrew here is webos's killer feature.
    I would buy a PalmPad for sure. Screw the Iphone-on_steriods-Pad

Bring on the new hardware already
    Mobile HotSpot At&t

I would have to disagree... The SDK and PDK have both been released to the world at large as well as Ares development tool, and even plugins for the Eclipse... they most certainly have a "real" development kit release by Palm...

Rooting means to gain root access to the phone... everytime you start up terminal you in effect just "rooted" your phone...

Every time you use webOS doctor to "doctor" your phone... you are in fact flashing a factory ROM to your device...

To get at additional features not normally allowed etc... what do you think patches are? They are modifications to the OS itself...

except... its all open on the Pre... we are free to do whatever we want to... when we connect our phone to a linux laptop we ARE root, theres never a fight just to get the phone to talk to our machines... we can take a look at and change pretty much any file we want to on the phone... as long as we dont muck with the core kernels themselves theres practically no way to brick the phone... and even if we do muck with the core kernels, theres a good chance the ROM flashing doctor that Palm supplied us with will get even that back to normal.

To address another question... is it Hacking? Well... in these modern times Hacking means to take something and modify it to suit your needs... as in Hack and Mod... so yes... anytime someone creates their very own touchstone in car charger mount, or slaps an RFID chip into the back of their battery cover they are "modding" the phone... and anytime they apply a patch or write a new one, or simply change one of the app files to meet their needs they are effectively "hacking" their phone.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    For the record, I was talking about the name "homebrew" vs the android equivalent of rooming/flashing/rooting.

I have no real experience with hacking android so I cannot comment on the quality, I'm sure it's great, but I was just saying I prefer the name homebrew to the android terms used.

Fyi
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    He said a lot of cool things in that speech. Lay your device down on a mat and bam, the video is on the wall? niiiiiccceeeee.

Where can I buy a poster of this guy?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast