1.    #1  
    Has anyone else noticed that within the last week or two, there seems to be a lot more web advertising for the pre? Today I visited the webpages that I usually do, and just happened to notice that on almost every one there was a Palm ad of some sort. It just makes me wonder if these are in order to blow out the current stock of hardware in anticipation of a new release? At the very least, it is doing a good job at getting palm's name refreshened on everones mind......
    Or it could be that your browser has been caching PreCentral a lot and Google knows about it. Then when the websites you visit (that have Google Adsense) contact google which parses your cookies and your cache and notices that it has the word "Pre" in it a lot.

It then assumes you like the Pre and gives you related advertisements based on your recently visited/most visited websites.

OR they're probably trying to get rid of old hardware to clear the shelves... I hope.
    Your browser should not be allowing sites access to other sites' cookies. That's a major security issue.
  4. ndz
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    It's called Google ReMarketing. Search that phrase for more info.

Once you are aware of it, you will see it constantly. Random sites will push ads on you related to sites you have already visited. It is EXTREMELY annoying!!!

Example: I searched for pizza coupons one night. The next 2 days I kept seeing Pizza Hut ads on random sites I went to.

It's like subliminal ads because no one realizes it is happening. People need to complain about this.....
    SirataXero I like how you think

If you want to see scary invasive, sign into Facebook and leave it open in a tab. When you surf around other sites, you will sometimes see an ad from Facebook that tells you one of your Facebook friends also visited this site. It will pull in other bits of info about your friends related to other sites. It is awful. I only was on Facebook a month, before I decided it was just to creepy the way it tries to integrate itself into everything. I stopped using it.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Or it could be that your browser has been caching PreCentral a lot and Google knows about it. Then when the websites you visit (that have Google Adsense) contact google which parses your cookies and your cache and notices that it has the word "Pre" in it a lot.

It then assumes you like the Pre and gives you related advertisements based on your recently visited/most visited websites.

OR they're probably trying to get rid of old hardware to clear the shelves... I hope.
    Wouldn't that only work with Chrome, though?
  7. ndz
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dreDREb13 View Post
    Wouldn't that only work with Chrome, though?
    It doesn't use cookies. It recognizes your IP address. Everyone is tied into GoogleAdwords and they have a massive database of every site you have ever been to. No one complains so your online privacy is continues to fade away, courtesy of The Google.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    So why don't I see massive amounts of ****ography ads when I'm surfing! Sheesh I wouldnt mind that :P
    I am losing my mind at an alarming rate . . . Actually, I'm not really alarmed at all.
  9.    #9  
    I should say that when I posted this topic, i considered the aforementioned reasons, but came to the determination that they didn't apply. I have been seeing more online advertising at work, at home(the only machine i log into precentral with), and even when on computers my friends own. I also asked my friends if they had noticed a push on palm product, and knowing for a fact that these friends do not have palm devices, nor would they search, or browse palm, i considered that into the statement. Anyhow, i guess anything is possible, but i highly doubt the probability of the google scenario. Thanks for the input though.
  10. ndz
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    It could still apply if you are logged into GMail or other Google accounts from those machines. Whether or not it applies to what you are seeing; once you are aware of Google's ReMarketing, you will see it constantly.
    I didn't mean to sound condescending.

I was just trying to point out that you pretty much sign over your privacy when you sign up for a Google account. For some reason, 95% of the population doesn't realize this.

Same with Facebook. Although Facebook pretends to mask you and tries to let you control your privacy (aka Privacy Settings). However, trust me Google has infinite ways (and resources) to find out who/where you are, what you're doing, and how to best influence you and your decisions.
  12.    #12  
    I appreciate all of the feedback. I do not (as a personal choice) use google ANYTHING. I have a personal dislike for the company. But, thanks anyhow. I just wanted to find out if what i noticed was true across the board, but from the general lack of agreement, i guess i was wrong. Chalk it up to wishful thinking again. sigh....