Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1.    #1  
    Find a better person to run palm.

    Find someone who's watching competitors and has the drive to win.
    "I donít have an iPhone. Iíve never even used one.Ē

    What experience does he have running a large company?

    He should do what he's good at, engineering.
    Leave it to someone else to do business development and marketing.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  2. #2  








    This post was made just to be inflamitory!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

    If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

    Follow the link below.


  3. #3  
    They should hire IcerC.
  4. #4  
    he has done alot though. Look at where palm was and is now. Ya they did have to get bougt out, but look at webos and the potential it has. For palm being so far behind before, he did great. This os easily has the potential to be number one. that was ruby's main focus imho. The hardware stability is off yes and the maturity of webos is just becoming what it should be when it hits 2.0 however I believe by 3.0 webos wil suepass all others. Rubys intent was to innovate. Maybe he didn't do so great with somethings and yes I do agree not using an iphone is a bit weird considering didn't he help with that one too? I do agree it is good to know the competition... HOWEver.. I kind of understand his logic. He wanted something fresh that didn't intently immitate any os. Lool at all the copy featurephone touchscreens to iphone. Lool at samsungs touchwiz for android. Hell look at meego all rely on cues fromother players. While webos does have some cues from others, I think they were innevitable. The only part of iphone I see in webos is it's simplicity and pleasurable os. Ptoblem is ruby got a dying company and didn't have enough resources to save it by himself. I give the guy credit. As someone wanting to head up a company based on innovations some day, I look up to him as a true innovater over steve jobs who is got the world under him.
  5. #5  
    icerc i disagree.
    Palm prē-ist.
  6. #6  
    I suspect his days are numbered at HP. He really doesn't fit in to the HP culture which will impede his effectiveness as an executive there so either he will have to change (significantly) or the other 300,000+ employees will!
  7. #7  
    You sir, fail.

    You do relize that Ruby was the one who brought palm back to life? I see him going no where. Otherwise HP would have dumped him also, HP relizes what he has done for palm so far. Palm didn't fail because it failed to create a innovative product. It failed due to lack of funds to back that product. You can't compete in a market that is already dominated.

    We see products that are innovative and unique come and go all the time. Why do you think half the technologies never see the light of day for ages. Funding. Stop getting ****y becuase your using a first release product and start enjoying that fact that your using a design that is leads ahead of the rest of the group. Would you rather not have had webOS at all? Im willing to accept a slower development, then a lack of development.
  8. #8  
    ahh, wrong. Look up places where ruby worked, and where all these hp guys have worked in the past.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I suspect his days are numbered at HP. He really doesn't fit in to the HP culture which will impede his effectiveness as an executive there so either he will have to change (significantly) or the other 300,000+ employees will!
  9. #9  
    Um, didn't Rubinstein come from Apple?
  10. #10  
    ah but there was technology before apple lol google him lol
  11. #11  
    I like him for the fact that hes an engineer and not a business man. He can be responsible for making kick *** phones, and let the marketing guys at HP take care of sales.
  12. Olidie's Avatar
    Posts
    385 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    #12  
    I'll to disagree with you IcerC. Yes palm did get purchase by a larger company. But you have to understand that when palm relaunch with WebOS, it was basically an entirely different company, as in a start-up.

    In business, as in start-ups, there are 3 possible outcomes. 1. To gain market share from your larger competitors, thus becoming profitable and staying in business; 2. Being acquire by a larger competitor who sees value in your products, services, and vision and are willing to make the necessary investments; 3. Simply going out of business.

    Outcomes 1 and 2 = Success.

    Outcome 3 = Failure.

    So in short Jon is a success. HP is basically going to allow him to carryout his future plans for palm.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I like him for the fact that hes an engineer and not a business man. He can be responsible for making kick *** phones, and let the marketing guys at HP take care of sales.
    Yeah, I agree and hopefully the HP marketing people are much better than the marketing agency that Palm had. That ad agency failed in EPIC proportions.

    However, the hw quality of the Pre is the second biggest problem (or first depending on point of view). If this is Rubenstein's fault, then he is to blame. To his credit, he did state that the hw and marketing were known issues and were both being addressed. He at least stepped up and admitted the short-comings and didn't say that we were holding it wrong.

    Hopefully, the new hw will make the current one a distant memory.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    ah but there was technology before apple lol google him lol
    No, that's not my point. My point is that John was hired from Apple because of Apple's knowledge of the iPhone development process. John brought over countless colleagues who helped to ensure WebOS was a success. I am arguing that the OP is full of bull****.
  15. #15  
    wows. No. HP IS keeping the best guy around. Whoever said that Ruby doesn't fit HP's culture, no. Jons first job out of graduate school was HP.

    the guy created the damn ipod for crying out loud, with no alot of time to do it in, I might add. He used his vision, his industry contacts (which, by the way, that list is huge now), to create and manufacture the biggest selling device. He also came to Palm, and helped create the best mobile OS. Dude is a winner simply put. Winners win. Don't listen to post after post of us telling you that, go ask Steve Jobs. Dude loves em.
  16. #16  
    he isn't running a company now, jusy a division. I say they should keep Ruby and get rid of the OP.
  17.    #17  
    His egineering skills shined though on webos.

    I just have a feeling he wasn't good at leading.
    The marketing... How did that ever get approved?
    The pre's bad design but I guess they didn't know that till it was too late.
    Telecom's not having proper training of the products.

    Seems like he needed to fire people (marketing) and properly sell the idea they worked so hard on (marketing/training reps)

    It's all what ifs and buts now.

    Workerb33, they listened to you. I was just fired and Jon took my place, thanks ahole.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    His egineering skills shined though on webos.

    I just have a feeling he wasn't good at leading.
    The marketing... How did that ever get approved?
    The pre's bad design but I guess they didn't know that till it was too late.
    Telecom's not having proper training of the products.

    Seems like he needed to fire people (marketing) and properly sell the idea they worked so hard on (marketing/training reps)

    It's all what ifs and buts now.

    Workerb33, they listened to you. I was just fired and Jon took my place, thanks ahole.

    2 points here, first have you ever bought a phone because the guy at the store recommended it? I have had 2 knowledgeable sales people in 10 years, you cant really believe that a guy that makes 20k a yr is going to know the ins and outs of every phone they carry or even care to know.
    The sales people at the store are NOT trained on every phone they sell They are told by Sprint,BigRed,and AT&T what products to push. Palm has no say so in what the Telecoms sell.

    second, why the hostility? Whats w/ the name calling? Chill!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

    If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

    Follow the link below.


  19. #19  
    I'm prteey sure he was kidding (i hope)
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    ahh, wrong. Look up places where ruby worked, and where all these hp guys have worked in the past.
    LOL - good catch. Ruby left HP in 1986 after only 2 years there to join a small, startup business. Is this your proof that he 'fit in' with their culture?

    Or how about Todd Bradley, the HP Personal Systems Group VP and Ruby's new boss? You may know him as the 'brainchild' who engineered the split of Palm into PalmOne and PalmSource a few years back. He was also run out of Palm by the board so that Ed Colligan could be reinstated as CEO. Todd really seems to get it when it comes to smartphones what with HP doing so well with them since he took over that group in 2005.

    Is this your proof of how well Ruby fits into HP culturally? It should make you wonder how he survived working with Steve Jobs (definitely NOT and HP culture kind-of-guy) for 16 years before Palm. Perhaps you've got it wrong after all.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions