Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Any volunteer? Who think they could have done a better job than Mr. Jon
    Rubinstein. Ź
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I'm prteey sure he was kidding (i hope)
    yeah it was.. Sry for the confusion 2slow.

I am just asking if he's a good leader or if he'd be better as head engineer, leting someone else run palm.

I think he's fine right now in HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Any volunteer? Who think they could have done a better job than Mr. Jon
    Rubinstein. Ź
    Interesting non sequitur. That's asking to asking who could have done a better job than the losing quarterback of a professional football game rout.

You never know though, someone on these forums might've been able to do a better job, but they weren't in the position to do so, maybe they never have been (like Ruby never had been), but they possess the skill set to do better. The only thing that is known is: given the funding Ruby had (a known), and the engineering/development team he had (a known - many of which he brought in), and the carriers that wanted to carry his phone (a known), and the manufacturer's ability to produce the phone (hopefully a known), Rubinstein was unable to make it all work. Now THAT'S a fact.

Lucky for Ruby, Elevation Partners has some good experience at selling off their ventures.
  4.    #24  
    Ok, anyone here think he could run HP?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    this is a dumb post in my opinion. Know your facts first Rubenstien made the first Ipod, was the first to come up with the idea of the first mobile webkit browser hence Webos. Palm was going to die sooner or later, and most likely sooner if Rub didnt bring his ideas of Webos to the table. He could have easily went elsewhere to introduce that kind of technology with his team. Rubenstein was working with limit funds and resources, and knew even with Palm it would have been a 10 year plan thats why he kept saying so. So the pre (IMO is not a bad device) had to be released in a beta version on sprint. He had to release it with un optimized OS as it was, the reason why basic features were missing. The perception of the device being cheap again IMO is because people listened to other people bashing the product, because to me I dont see nothing wrong with the device. Yes next time around they will have alot better, and more expensive device because this time Rubenstien has money to invest into the produce. Money people he didnt have the captial to hire great marketers to push the pre (hence the strange lady). He didnt have the money to have dozens of semiors to bring in developers so he can have thousands of applications in the app catalog. People point the finger, but refuse to consider the facts. Rubenstien is a genius when it comes not only to mobile devices, but to business executions, the reason why he was a top executive at Apple when it was dieing when he developed the ipod to bring it back to life. If and when WeboS takes off, the same people pointing the finger will be praising Rub and his team. So stop critizing someone who is and in my eyes has always done his best to try and make something of a product that was never fully backed until now.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    His egineering skills shined though on webos.

I just have a feeling he wasn't good at leading.
    The marketing... How did that ever get approved?
    The pre's bad design but I guess they didn't know that till it was too late.
    Telecom's not having proper training of the products.

Seems like he needed to fire people (marketing) and properly sell the idea they worked so hard on (marketing/training reps)

It's all what ifs and buts now.

Workerb33, they listened to you. I was just fired and Jon took my place, thanks ahole.
    Excuse me, but the Pre's bad design? Maybe you mean bad hardware.... Having worked in pretty much all aspects of design - including a few years in Industrial Design, which is basically product engineering and design, I know that both Red Dot and the Good Design awards are held with pretty good esteem in the industry. I don't need an award to tell me that it's a winning design though... I know because it is one of a few designs in recent history that actually beckon the user to pick it up and play with it, instead of being just for utility. Anyone can make a device that's usable, but to make one that strikes a chord with the user, encouraging them to play with it even when there's no reason to be using it, is a great challenge and it succeeds on a highly psychological level. WebOS has a lot to do with it for sure, but people choose beautiful looking technology that has crap software and GUI all the time. Pre is one of those few objects that has the combination of form and function that designers around the world ache and clamor to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by jack.shiot View Post
    Excuse me, but the Pre's bad design? Maybe you mean bad hardware.... Having worked in pretty much all aspects of design - including a few years in Industrial Design, which is basically product engineering and design, I know that both Red Dot and the Good Design awards are held with pretty good esteem in the industry. I don't need an award to tell me that it's a winning design though... I know because it is one of a few designs in recent history that actually beckon the user to pick it up and play with it, instead of being just for utility. Anyone can make a device that's usable, but to make one that strikes a chord with the user, encouraging them to play with it even when there's no reason to be using it, is a great challenge and it succeeds on a highly psychological level. WebOS has a lot to do with it for sure, but people choose beautiful looking technology that has crap software and GUI all the time. Pre is one of those few objects that has the combination of form and function that designers around the world ache and clamor to achieve.
    So why was the Pre so resoundingly rejected by the market?
  8.    #28  
    Bad hardware design.
    Better?

The pre is a phone that looks good in computer simulations and clay models and stilling on your counter but in fails in real life execution. (keyboard, battery life, cracks, slider design, headphone jack doesn't fit flush and comes out easy, sharp side around keyboard etc) The plus fixed some of the problems--still plastic screen and the usb flap are poor design choices imo

Another red dot winner:
    red dot online: Computers
    the mighty mouse. Have you used one? Terrible mouse in comparison to the competition.... just looks cool.
    Last edited by IcerC; 08/07/2010 at 07:36 PM.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    So why was the Pre so resoundingly rejected by the market?
    Poor execution. I don't blame them though.. considering they didnt have an endless supply of money to launch and promote on the scale it deserves.

But as you can see, the owners and users (despite having to get replacements, and the hassle with manufacturing defects, etc.) are very supportive of the webOS platform. We'll suffer with a broken phone to use it!
    wellwellwell11, well.... put
    Poor execution. I don't blame them though.. considering they didnt have an endless supply of money to launch and promote on the scale it deserves.
    Aren't companies supposed to operate within some sort of budget? Or are they all supposed to overspend and under-perform on the hopes that a bigger company will come along and bail them out? Rubi clearly didn't have the chops to operate Palm as a CEO. He clearly has the necessary abilities to lead some technical efforts, but his worth as a CEO is pretty low.
    geez...... And it's not even monday
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12