Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Im not sure if anyone has already come up with this but it just sprang on to me, the big things making the iphone 4 and evo 4g so popular is somewhat due to the front facing cameras, why should we have to wait for a new palm phone to come out with one, We shouldnt. So here is my suggestion, just like those laptop/desktop clip on cameras the pre could have one too. Its a very simple concept, It would plug directly into the battery door with no wire (you would have to hold the phone sideways) but it would like the evo be compatible with skype, other evos or pres, or for the weirdos, chatroulette. but this is my idea sorry if its already been suggested
    I highly doubt the Pre+ could cram video streaming through the microUSB port with a camera (considering the device would also have to power the camera as well and Pre's aren't known for good battery life). But a built in camera might be in the next incarnation and I'm pretty sure HP is already working on it. http://www.vidyo.com/news/news_hpandvidyo_060910.php
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
  3.    #3  
    honestly the battery life on video streaming wouldnt be that big of an issue unless you had plans for hours of conferencing
    hahaha manordwall, have you even tried streaming podcasts? My battery is not as good as it was back when I bought the phone, but I can easily drop 30% off my battery with my normal morning use (about 2 hours of not constant use).

Ohhhh and BTW, I don't think the phones are getting that much attention just because of the front facing camera. The camera is a novelty, it's all the other specs and features that are getting the attention.

Take those phones, give em the Pre's specs and features (software and hardware) but keep the front facing camera..... NO ONE would be talking about them. If apple had just taken a 3GS and added a front facing camera and called it the 4 it would not be doing as well as it is (other than the folks that would just buy it because it's an apple product).
    Honestly, what's the big deal with the front-facing cameras? I mean, it's cool, but come on .... how many people will really use that? Perhaps it's just me - interested in hearing others' thoughts on this one...
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    Honestly, what's the big deal with the front-facing cameras? I mean, it's cool, but come on .... how many people will really use that? Perhaps it's just me - interested in hearing others' thoughts on this one...
    Last weekend we went to the Omaha zoo and used the front facing camera(EVO 4G) to take a pictures on a train and the ski lift...this is one situation where front facing camera was needed.
    Ok, that makes sense. Guess I'm thinking only video-conferencing. Forgot it has a good application as a snapshot camera, too.
    I agree the front facing camera is, right now, a novelty. It will help sell phones and tablets. People want to try them. They will do a few video calls then forget about it. I think most folks will just end up using it as a mirror.

Rahul Sood, HP's head of Gaming urged developers to get going on writing games for the new hardware. He told them to take advantage of the cameras (plural). I'm pretty sure that means something coming out will have two cameras.
  9. OrR
    There isn't even an API to access the back camera feed live, yet! Developing and producing a hardware addon like this would be to expensive and niche to be worth it. Also, I'm not sure how it should even connect. Bluetooth? So then it needs it's own battery? USB is more or less out since the Pre hardware isn't wired to do OTG as far as I know. Mechanics is a problem, as well. Is it a backcover replacement? Then it would have to look at you from under the keyboard which isn't the most useful position for the camera to be... Or from the side, which creates other problems. It would significantly increase the size of the device as well. And all that for a little bit of video chatting when the software isn't even on the horizon?!
    The next Palm phone needs a front facing camera included. As well as USB host. Adding a front facing camera to the Pre just isn't realistically possible, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    Last weekend we went to the Omaha zoo and used the front facing camera(EVO 4G) to take a pictures on a train and the ski lift...this is one situation where front facing camera was needed.
    I use the mirror when I need to do that. Mirror plus capture with volume keys. For those that don't patch, mirror and space bar works well too.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I use the mirror when I need to do that. Mirror plus capture with volume keys. For those that don't patch, mirror and space bar works well too.
    Oyea...forgot about that lol.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    Yes, listen up, Palm engineers, self-portrait photos at a midwestern zoo are...vital.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    ^ u better believe it.
    Why do you guys always pick on the video calling feature? Just because you guys wont use it doesn't mean others wont.

I don't use any of the business applications, the calendar, and a bunch of other features in my phone but you don't see me complaining about the presence of those features on the phone.

Who says a certain feature has to meet the needs of everyone? There's a such thing as a niche market. Not everyone uses every single feature on a phone.

Be technology forward, not stagnant or worse, backwards.
    I don't think anyone was picking on the feature as much as (at least in my post) saying that a front facing camera alone isn't what is selling those phones. Like I said, take away all the specs and software enhancements, give a front facing camera and you don't have a top seller in todays market.

BTW, I had an A900 that had the camera that swivled on the hinge. Had a few feature phones that had the external screen for using the camera to take shots of yourself.... the camera alone (or video calling) isn't selling these phones and in general is a novelty. Just like many other features are novelty, the majority of users aren't going to live or die with a phone based on a front facing camera (or HDMI out, or a projector). They are novelty or niche features.... sure they are nice additions, but alone do not make a phone a contender.
    The thing is... front cameras are now "interesting" and consumers want them. Imagine in the next 6 months that video conferencing takes off and your new Pre doesn't have a front camera. How would that feel? Plus, the competition has them.

And why say no to more features?
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I don't think anyone was picking on the feature as much as (at least in my post) saying that a front facing camera alone isn't what is selling those phones. Like I said, take away all the specs and software enhancements, give a front facing camera and you don't have a top seller in todays market.

BTW, I had an A900 that had the camera that swivled on the hinge. Had a few feature phones that had the external screen for using the camera to take shots of yourself.... the camera alone (or video calling) isn't selling these phones and in general is a novelty. Just like many other features are novelty, the majority of users aren't going to live or die with a phone based on a front facing camera (or HDMI out, or a projector). They are novelty or niche features.... sure they are nice additions, but alone do not make a phone a contender.
    Well, right about now you sound like my grandpa trying to tell people what they can live without which this idea should very simply not be entertained. We are becoming a society in which both quality and quantity count. If your company isnt selling with alot of features then you minds as well put a closed sign on your doors, If Hpalm were to put an addon for a front facing camera (if its capable) then it would really jumpstart Hpalms market so why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    The thing is... front cameras are now "interesting" and consumers want them. Imagine in the next 6 months that video conferencing takes off and your new Pre doesn't have a front camera. How would that feel? Plus, the competition has them.

And why say no to more features?
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    Well, right about now you sound like my grandpa trying to tell people what they can live without which this idea should very simply not be entertained. We are becoming a society in which both quality and quantity count. If your company isnt selling with alot of features then you minds as well put a closed sign on your doors, If Hpalm were to put an addon for a front facing camera (if its capable) then it would really jumpstart Hpalms market so why not?
    Where did I (or anyone in this thread) ever say they shouldn't add the feature? You guys kill me, the only reason I even posted in this thread was because someone said they thought front facing cameras were selling the phones..... all I said was, take the current Pre add a front facing camera and it doesn't compete with the Evo, iPhone 4, etc in terms of actual specs or software.

It's cool though, go ahead and read what you want. If you are curious about what I actually said, I would encourage you to go back through this thread and actually read my posts. I never attempted to convince anyone that front facing cameras should not be entertained or even included.

Even better the quote you replied to was in response to someone thinking we were picking on the feature and once again I was simply trying to explain, nobody was picking on the feature, people were just saying the feature is a novelty and hardcore use of said feature will be a niche market. I don't know how those comments translate into, don't add the feature or the phone shouldn't have the feature.....
    I have a suggestion for Palm.

You put time and money into tricking iTunes into thinking our Pre is and iPod.
    Again, and again, and again this happened. (in the begining)

Take that effort and make webOS able to play Windows Media Files and other formats not currently supported by webOS.

I want to watch all the funny videos I get in my GD e-mails!
    Windows media has an up front license cost, plus per device license fee. Maybe now with HP's money and Windows relationship this will be possible, but it's easy to see Palm back then didn't have the capital to do that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast