1.    #1  
    Hi all,

This gets better and better...the more I read about Ruby's interviews...the HAPPIER I am!

He now said, they are working "aggressively" on new hardware.

As the song says..."What a difference a day makes....".

Take care,

Jay

WebOS 2.0 And Tablet Coming From Palm/HP

Former Palm CEO Jon Rubinstein recently mentioned that the company will debut webOS 2.0 later this year. HP also said an enterprise tablet is in the works.

By Eric Zeman
    InformationWeek
    July 23, 2010 10:26 AM

WebOS 2.0 And Tablet Coming From Palm/HP -- InformationWeek

This is good news. As recently as March, Palm and its webOS had a very bleak future. HP's $1.2 billion acquisition of the smartphone maker has breathed new life into Palm, and this is the first ray of light we've seen.
    Speaking at Fortune's Brainstorm conference, Former Palm CEO Jon Rubinstein casually mentioned that webOS 2.0 will be available "later this year." He wasn't more specific than that, and also failed to mention any new features in the operating system.

In the 13 months since its release, webOS has gone from 1.0 to 1.4.5. Most of the changes wrought by the periodic updates to webOS in that time have been bug fixes and other tweaks. The last major update -- webOS 1.4 -- came in February.

WebOS 1.4 added the ability to capture and edit video. It also allowed users to share their video via MMS, YouTube, and Facebook. At the time, Palm said that the calendar, phone, messaging, and email apps were all given new features, such as short cuts that allow users to jump from one app to another faster. WebOS 1.4 also included better notifications. The gesture area below the screen, for example, pulses when new messages have arrived. Palm said webOS 1.4 also introduced system-wide speed and usability improvements.

Rubinstein also added that the company is working "aggressively" on new hardware. That's also good, because the Pre and Pixi phones were not the best hardware to accompany webOS. The Pre and Pixi are available from AT&T, Sprint and Verizon Wireless. Sprint launched the Pre in June 2009, with the Pixi following in October 2009. Verizon launched the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus in January 2010. AT&T added Palm's smartphones to its lineup just a couple of months ago.

During the same event, HP's Personal Systems Group Vice President Todd Bradley said that the company would debut a Windows 7-based tablet as an enterprise product this fall. It will not be targeted at consumers.

This last bit is interesting because it muddies the waters a little bit about the future of a webOS-based tablet. HP was recently awarded a trademark for "PalmPad", which strongly implies a product based on Palm's webOS platform.

There's been a lot of back-and-forth with HP in recent months and its plans to bring a "slate" or "tablet" style device to market. HP has not formally announced a new product.

Bradley didn't provide more details beyond the general availability.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

This gets better and better...the more I read about Ruby's interviews...the HAPPIER I am!

He now said, they are working "aggressively" on new hardware.
    Oh man, me too. "they are working "aggressively" on new hardware.

NEW! NEW! Can you believe it?!

..... If I use a bunch of empty adverbs will reading this post get better and better?
    I wonder if they will launch the tablet/netbook through a promotion with Sprint/Verizon/Att at a special price with a 2yr contract like they do currently with netbooks with built-in aircards....
    Makes me wonder if they will make the tablet more like an ipad but with 4G built in....?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazo View Post
    Oh man, me too. "they are working "aggressively" on new hardware.

NEW! NEW! Can you believe it?!

..... If I use a bunch of empty adverbs will reading this post get better and better?
    Hi,

Please let me have my moment of jumping for joy over this...due to my 2 year contract with V for my Centro...I still don't have a Pre. I am stuck with my centro for just under 3 months. I am looking forward to what ever they will call it!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi,

Please let me have my moment of jumping for joy over this...due to my 2 year contract with V for my Centro...I still don't have a Pre. I am stuck with my centro for just under 3 months. I am looking forward to what ever they will call it!

Take care,

Jay
    Jay... you have a lot of enthusiasm for webOS. people tend to want to bash on that.
    You do a great job of posting links on pc for us to check out... much appreciated. You super positive attitude is very welcome by me... and others have mentioned as well.
    you take care.. and have a great weekend.
    Thanks for posting!!!
  6.    #6  
    Hi,

Thank you, you made my day!

Take care,

Jay
    You know Jay, you can upgrade to pre plus right now. Since Verizon have not sold many pre pluses, they are letting people upgrade to pre plus before two year upgrade eligibility is up (ofcourse you have to sign a new two year contract and get 29.99 unlimited data plan). Currently you may pay 30-50 dollars for the new phone, can even try amazon or ?wirefly (not sure) for cheaper deals. By the time pre-2 comes on Verizon, it will be atleast January. Biggest advantage free mobile hot spot. I use a centro currently on sprint and had my wife upgraded to pre plus on Verizon, tell you what, pre plus is amazingly better than centro (not pre, but pre plus)
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  8.    #8  
    Hi,

Thank you so much!

The only fly in the ointment of your idea, is that I am going to change from V to S. V has GREAT service but S is $30 cheaper and they throw in GPS.

None of the cell companies work in my house, without the use of a repeater. Trust me we have tried them all.

BTW I will have to have two different repeaters, one for V, so my G/F's phone works and one for S for me. I did ask each of them, that since you can roam on each others lines, would the same hold up on their repeaters. Unfortunately, I will have end up having both. There will be so much radio waves in my house, I bet we could cook a hot dog by throwing one up in the air in front of the repeater. LOL, besides I am vegetarian.

Take care and thanks,

Jay
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Dear Jay,
    I got a free repeater from sprint because their service was bad in my area. So if you want to try sprint you may be able to get them to give you one.
    dkositsky
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I want a tablet/pad device with web OS and powerful hardware with great apps. This device needs to be able to do real work with an audio interface as well as the great Web OS interface we know and love. This device needs to have good storage capacity but more importantly great battery life and very useful apps. I want to have this HP device hope they can deliver a real knock-out hardware platform.
    Has any one considered that maybe the "PalmPad" is some sort of touchstone chrging pad capable of charging other devices other than pre/pixi? Or is it a for sure thing it's a actual tablet/pad?
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    Jay... you have a lot of enthusiasm for webOS. people tend to want to bash on that.
    You do a great job of posting links on pc for us to check out... much appreciated. You super positive attitude is very welcome by me... and others have mentioned as well.
    you take care.. and have a great weekend.
    Thanks for posting!!!
    I agree with you. Jay often makes my day.
    good idea... Or charge multiple devices at the same time. We will see soon.

Quote Originally Posted by gilbertg4x4 View Post
    Has any one considered that maybe the "PalmPad" is some sort of touchstone chrging pad capable of charging other devices other than pre/pixi? Or is it a for sure thing it's a actual tablet/pad?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkositsky View Post
    Dear Jay,
    I got a free repeater from sprint because their service was bad in my area. So if you want to try sprint you may be able to get them to give you one.
    dkositsky
    Hi, Thank you,

V gave me one for free for just that reason and I assume that S will do the same...

take care and thank you, Jay
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

hmmmm very interesting. that would be nice
  16.    #16  
    Hi,

I love your way of thinking..GREAT IDEA!

Take care,

Jay
    The hardware is powerfull enough, but the build quality(of the pre(+)) and HW acceleration is lacking. It seems like everyone wants a beefy cortex a9 when all that is need for a less sluggish experience is some polish and hw acceleration, look at 3GS!

A low clocked dual core cortex a9 would be real nice for next generation.