Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The size of the Pre is perfect for me... I don't like having a brick in my pocket... its a phone... I prefer the physical keyboard and most web browsing can be accomplished easily enough with the screen the Pre currently has... I don't know about everyone else... but when I'm at home I use my laptop and when I'm not I'm doing other things... the only time I use the Internet on my phone is when I have something to look up, or entertaining myself during transit or some other rare downtime. My RSS feeds, pod casts, tweets, messages and other things that I use my pre for much more heavily are formated nicely for the screen when they arrive...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTick077 View Post
    You do realize you just described the samsung epic hardware to a T right ? If only it ran WebOS it would be my dream phone. Might still have to go with it unless palm/hp anounces something before the release of the Epic.
    Lmao!! Really? Well looks like I'll be going with the Epic unless HP announces a new phone within a month of the release of the epic! Lmao!
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    The drain of the battery by the screen is insignificant, that's why Pixi battery drains almost as fast as the Pre.
    I have owned both and my PIXI lasts almost half a day longer than my PRE did.

As much as I love the size of the EVO, I am not sure I would like carrying around such a large phone. The thing that appeals to me about my PIXI is the size. I would love a larger screen, but at what point is it too big? I guess this is a personal question that each will have to decided.

I personally am loving the flexible screen concept, but that is not quite ready for production. if I could have an 8" screen that folds or rolls away when I do not need it, that would be sweet.

http://www.physorg.com/news188735764.html
    Last edited by davecttt; 07/25/2010 at 01:34 PM.
    Loving my Pixi. Yes I am a guy and own a Pixi, get over it.

I really love the size and shape of the current pre. Sure a slightly larger screen would be nice, but part of what I love about the pre is that it has a real qwerty keyboard, and I can work it completely one handed in most cases. Phones like the iphone and droid, etc are made to be used with both hands for almost everything. I also enjoy that is is more compact and soft round edges but a little thicker than most other phone. Doesn't feel like its going to break in my pocket or anything.
    Maybe they should make a third pillar. Have the pixi as a centro like phone, a pre as a treo like phone, the a iPhone like design with more curves and a natural feel and a larger screen.
    Whatever anyone's preferences are here, WebOS is going to be getting some larger screens and front facing cameras for a couple of reasons:

1) HP has acquired their own video-conferencing software firm and realizes that Apple's Facetime will help make this a more popular protocol, which will pay dividends in Enterprise. On a phone with a screen smaller than 3.5-inches, it'd be a mighty cramped feature.
    2) Not only is the market going in this direction, but carriers are DEMANDING larger screen, high spec phones to put their advertising dollars behind. Especially with 4G/LTE services becoming all the rage....carriers will want devices they can load pay video services onto.

Maybe HPalm will offer something Pre-like in addition to these higher end devices, and maybe they will not. But we're getting a bigger device...no doubt about it.
    I have no problem with the current screen size, frankly. I like that the Pre fits comfortably in my pocket. It is "just right" in terms of size, in my opinion. Now, if a larger screen would bring more attention from media players (like Netflix and Hulu) than I'm all for it. If the next Palm device was as epic as the EVO 4G, I'd be stoked.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonPre View Post
    I really love the size and shape of the current pre. Sure a slightly larger screen would be nice, but part of what I love about the pre is that it has a real qwerty keyboard, and I can work it completely one handed in most cases. Phones like the iphone and droid, etc are made to be used with both hands for almost everything. I also enjoy that is is more compact and soft round edges but a little thicker than most other phone. Doesn't feel like its going to break in my pocket or anything.
    P.S. I agree - I would terribly miss my real keyboard.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Whatever anyone's preferences are here, WebOS is going to be getting some larger screens and front facing cameras for a couple of reasons:

1) HP has acquired their own video-conferencing software firm and realizes that Apple's Facetime will help make this a more popular protocol, which will pay dividends in Enterprise. On a phone with a screen smaller than 3.5-inches, it'd be a mighty cramped feature.
    2) Not only is the market going in this direction, but carriers are DEMANDING larger screen, high spec phones to put their advertising dollars behind. Especially with 4G/LTE services becoming all the rage....carriers will want devices they can load pay video services onto.

Maybe HPalm will offer something Pre-like in addition to these higher end devices, and maybe they will not. But we're getting a bigger device...no doubt about it.
    BINGO!!!

3.5 and bigger will become the new battle of the old black/white tv's vs colored tv with many gadgets
    About the size of the iPhone would be pretty ideal, IMO. The Evo is a little big for my preference.

Wouldn't a slightly larger size make it easier to give it a faster processor and bigger battery?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    4" minimum for me.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I agree.

Isn't the primary knock on the Pre by non-Pre owners the low battery life? (real or presumed) I would really like to just see the same form factor with a slightly larger screen maybe 3.7", faster processor, a Treo 800w/755 keyboard and an effort to make the battery life great. Things have progressed since the first Pre was developed to make this an easy reality and probably keep it as thin or thinner than the current build.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtreo View Post
    I agree.

Isn't the primary knock on the Pre by non-Pre owners the low battery life? (real or presumed) I would really like to just see the same form factor with a slightly larger screen maybe 3.7", faster processor, a Treo 800w/755 keyboard and an effort to make the battery life great. Things have progressed since the first Pre was developed to make this an easy reality and probably keep it as thin or thinner than the current build.
    If they could fix the Oreo problem, headset jack problems (stuck in headset mode, etc), USB door issues, and add tab & cursor direction keys I would be a very happy camper.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    The Pixi screen was far too small for me, I hated it.
    The Pre screen size is ok, but bigger would be better.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I'll take a 3.7' screen. If they do something bigger its not going to deter me but I would prefer a screen in the "Goldilocks zone" myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonPre View Post
    You've clearly not used an iPhone. There's very little that can't be done with one hand on the iPhone - except maybe play certain games that require you to hold the phone in landscape mode.

Please give specific examples of what can't be done on the iPhone with one hand.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12