1.    #1  
    If you read the frontpage article about the interview of HP CEO Hurd and deepened into the interview, you could read there:

HP likes to work with cmpanies like Foxconn, because in the event that custmer demand for a certain product would immediately decrease to 0, they can shut down all costs related to the production of the device within aprox. 6 months.

That's the advantage.

So on the counterside, I imagine, that they also could start deployment of a new device within a similar timeframe of approx. 6 months.

So if you calculate that the HP deal closed on beginning of july, this would imply a january launch of a new device that ha been nearly completely engineered before the deal closed.

6 months just for prototypes, verification units, carrier testings and finding an empty production slot at a factory.

I really don't see new hardware in 2010 because of these necessary time to get into proper construction.

what do you think?
    I suspect Palm might have had a device 75% of the way finished and just didn't have to money to mass produce it so I wouldn't be surprised with a Holiday 2010 launch
    Palm couldn't have known in advance a possible suitor would be exclusively interested in their patent portfolio, so it does make sense they would have started working on new hardware already.
    Other than that, patience requires a lot less words and would result in an equally viable prediction.
    There will be a new device for the holiday season. Palm and HP are smart companies and I'm sure they know they need to release a new device for the holiday season just to stay in the mobile game. I imagine they will push out what Palm already had designed and will now be funded through HP's money.
    Thank me if I helped you.
    Why do people keep mentioning this "patience" thing? That died long ago.

As for the device, they know that a 2010 release would please their loyal fanbase. But sadly that isn't a priority for them, the priority is grabbing as many new customers as possible. Now that the iPhone 4's publicity is over soon would be a good time to announce it.

If I had to guess how far they'd come in development I'd estimate about 75%. When HP saw their plans they probably made major revisions or made them redo a lot of stuff so that probably set them back.

I think a great window would be Holiday 2010 but I feel like they might want to use CES 2011 for the publicity. If they do I hope they learned from last years giant mistake of waiting 6 months between announcement and release.
    Some members of the community seem to think that it is a necessity for Palm to come out with new hardware every 3 months or they are out of step with the user base.

If we look at the history of the current line of palm hardware – we are just about due for the next generation and if my memory serves me Palm and HP said that they would not pre-announce their hardware in the future.

Palm Pre – June 6, 2009 – 13 months ago
    Palm Pixi – Nov 12, 2009 – 9 months ago
    Palm Pre Plus – Jan 25, 2010 – 6 months ago
    Palm Pixi Plus – Feb 27, 2010 – 5 months ago

Yes, I consider the Palm and Pixi Plus models new hardware as much as the iPhone 4 was a new iPhone model. You should also consider that the hardware in the phones is unique for each carrier so sub-models the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus had the be designed and manufactured for each foreign and domestic carrier.

While the original Palm Pre may seem a little long in the tooth to some users, its functionality and capabilities (enhanced by patches) is on par with other competing smart phones. I feel that Palm was well into the design of the next generation devices before the HP acquisition and the capitalization and leverage that HP brings to the table can only improve Palm’s ability to bring state of the art hardware to the market. My feelings are that we should see movement within the next two months to have the product fully distributed by the 2010 holiday season.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    i personally think that the final product for a handset is already complete, but what is taking the time to release it is that they need to finish a)webos 2.0(which was stated in the frontpage article as to coming out later this year) and b)they r creating a whole webos line to simultaneously launch with the phone. i feel that the last point i just theorized is the most important, because if u look back to every article hurd has talked about HPalm, he has ALWAYS stated the importance of webos and more importantly, the idea of interconnected devices. i have a feeling we're going to be seeing webos devices across many platforms this holiday season...
    If Palmis aleady 75% done with designing the hardware I'll probably pass LOL.

Hopefully HP understands that hardware is what really gets the mainstream customers attention.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Why does everyone thing Palm is going with HP device Palm is going with Palms roadmap period. They have devices in development some big shot at HP will have a say how some things on those device as changed but Palm is now the smartphone company within HP
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    ^^ Like the avatar...should make it say "powered by HP" or "HP Inside"

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
  11.    #11  
    nother hint, supporting my expectations:

Todd Bradley just told CNBC, what the next steps are:

he said: " We will continue to more broadly deliver the webOS-based phones that are in the market today, and Jon and his team have driven a strong roadmap for the future."

If I read that, I am pretty sure, that there won't be a new device just coming around the corner.
    They will now broaden Pre and Pixi sales with webOS 2.0 via pumping them through their enterprise-channels.

There is a clear difference in communication:
    - webOS 2.0 is coming "later this year"
    - new hardware is coming "in the future"

This means to me: new hardware in 2011.
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    nother hint, supporting my expectations:

Todd Bradley just told CNBC, what the next steps are:

he said: " We will continue to more broadly deliver the webOS-based phones that are in the market today, and Jon and his team have driven a strong roadmap for the future."

If I read that, I am pretty sure, that there won't be a new device just coming around the corner.
    They will now broaden Pre and Pixi sales with webOS 2.0 via pumping them through their enterprise-channels.

There is a clear difference in communication:
    - webOS 2.0 is coming "later this year"
    - new hardware is coming "in the future"

This means to me: new hardware in 2011.
    wow you came up with that? first those two statements were not stated in the same confersation, therefore null and void to speculate future meaning 2011. Second HP knows how big the holiday season is, and have stated the palm pad being ready by then. If you have to start from scratch with developing a tablet, when the 2nd gen phone was already produced, and was put back for some tweaking, HP looks to release a tablet and phone by the holiday. They are not #1 in computer sales for nothing.
    If HPalm were to miss the holiday season it would be yet another epic fail to add to the Palm story.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    If Palmis aleady 75% done with designing the hardware I'll probably pass LOL.

Hopefully HP understands that hardware is what really gets the mainstream customers attention.
    If HP ditto's the rest of the current markets designs, ala IPhones and HTC's, I'll be very disappointed... Take Care
    Quote Originally Posted by nychump View Post
    If HPalm were to miss the holiday season it would be yet another epic fail to add to the Palm story.
    +1
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)