Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    They made all these promises of "not buying them to be in the industry" yet, they're talking about dissolving the Palm name and using it's webOS in their products. Palm were a unique company like Apple, having a few perfect models. But HP and Windows Devices use the same OS on all sorts of devices. And that sucks. Does anyone else here feel my rage on what HP are doing for Palm? !!!!
    HP doesn't own Windows, HP owns Palm. All webOS products will be labeled HP Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    rage? In the grand scheme of things,if something like this causes you rage,u are going to die young.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Welcome to Corporate America. HP bought Palm and they can do as they like with it. I wouldn't be surprized if we all own the last Palm phones ever made. WebOS on the otherhand should have a long and productive life. IMHO
    Hmmm?.....It's a Palm Pre, here, let me show you something cool...;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneBunting View Post
    They made all these promises of "not buying them to be in the industry" yet, they're talking about dissolving the Palm name and using it's webOS in their products. Palm were a unique company like Apple, having a few perfect models. But HP and Windows Devices use the same OS on all sorts of devices. And that sucks. Does anyone else here feel my rage on what HP are doing for Palm? !!!!
    I have a solution.... purchase a 51% majority share ownership in HP, then change their corporate direction to one you feel is appropriate. As for me, not going to worry about it - "Que sera, sera" right? Dood, life's too short to get upset about this stuff. As long a HP can gain a profit, the phones will be for sale... when it stops making a profit, the market will resolve the rest. Take a deep breath, it'll be alright
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    +2 palm is a strong name but hp is stronger

What a stupid quote of HP executive again.
    Palm is sub brand like HP's pavilion.
    Am I hearing right? Palm = pavilion in their business Planning?
    I could imagine the very good software programmers in Palm will jump ship sooner or later . It is not bad heading to the direction of Apple because at least Steve Job will treat them good.

I will buy IPad and never HP pavillion slate and later.. maybe Iphone
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lawtony View Post
    What a stupid quote of HP executive again.
    Palm is sub brand like HP's pavilion.
    Am I hearing right? Palm = pavilion in their business Planning?
    I could imagine the very good software programmers in Palm will jump ship sooner or later . It is not bad heading to the direction of Apple because at least Steve Job will treat them good.

I will buy IPad and never HP pavillion slate
    OK.
    I think what the OP is saying is the Palm brand name may disappear and it looks like he's right.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!

your complaint is weird. It would be bad If HP didn't purchase Palm to 'be in the industry'. it would mean that they bought them for their patents. It would mean we may never see new webOS devices. Luckily, they bought Palm to help expand it's products. All indications are that HP is allowing Palm to continue along the roadmap they'd set b4 the buyout. They aren't ruining Palm. They saved it. As far as the brand goes. I don't buy things because of the name on the box. I buy them because they are good products. If HP/Palm put out a great successor to the Pre, i'll be there to buy it, Palm logo or not.
    The OP has a point, and through my research this has happened before. I think it is an HP conspiracy to own the world and make us forget that anything but HP ever existed. Case and point:

1958 - They bought F.L Mosley Company, and you can no longer purchase a Mosley Plotter
    1989 - Apollo Computer - Can't get an Apollo anymore either
    1992 - Texas Instruments computer system - They killed the TI PC brand!!!
    2002 - Compaq, I don't see that brand on their website anymore
    2003 - Select Access from Baltimore Technologies - No longer a brand.

There are many more examples, I think it is our responsibility to stop this takeover of our world!!! Or, so what its a name, what matters is the OS, the design, and the people.
    Perfect models? Really? Far from it. HP will give Palm the shot in the arm that it so desperately needs, especially in the area of hardware that lasts. Who cares what the devices are called?!? I love the software! Rolling it out to netbooks and slates, among other things, is a fantastic idea. I couldn't care less whether the Palm or HP name is on the outside.
    I'm surprised to see people who support Palm are happy with it's trademark name disappearing.

I really don't know how I feel about this. It really will feel like Palm is gone if the name disappears IMO. Unless maybe if they use HP Palm.

HP Palm is a lot better than no Palm IMO.
    I see what you mean. Heck the name Hewlett Packard has even given way to HP. The nerve of that company.

HP has to keep the name Palm and here's why.

Lets look at this from HP's side of the fence. Anyone that follows the electronic industry, which includes most of us here, knows that the future of computing WILL be ultra-small devices. HP owns the largest piece of the computer world. They are smart enough to know that they HAVE TO move into the smaller more portable market. They also know that the corporate world and the personal markets are demanding these more interconnected portable devices. That being said look at what HP has done in the past few mos. They have purchased several software companies. A segment HP has not really been in. This software, including WebOS will allow HP to go full steam into the "cloud based, interconnected, portable arena. They know what they are doing so well we should be scared of that.

As far as the name Palm, if you look at the past performance of HP branded phones it has not been good when measured against the big names like Apple, Rim and Palm. Palm is a well known brand to the 30 and over crowd. The buyers and management in the business world know the name Palm and what Palm did in the past for them. the name Palm is much stronger than HP for the portable devices. Will Palm take back the market from Research in Motion? I believe it will but it is going to take time. Will it take as long as it took RIM? No, It will be faster. HP will be able to show how the servers, desktops, netbooks (x)-pads, workstations, printers and phones will be INTERWOVEN together in a secure manor. Once shown to a management team, owners and buyers how this works they will have to purchase Palm phones. One company, one bill, one contract, one service department, one tech and one sales person. The name Palm or HP-Palm will continue to exist if only for the name as a tool to help open the door for HP and WebOS.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Don't be too emotional over Palm. Palm is just a brand now.

Palm was no longer the Palm it was for a long time now.

Why?

Hawkins & Dubinsky (the founder of Palm) are gone, sadly the vision and innovation left with them. It's not just the people and talent.

It's all about "the zen of Palm". To do any task, the amount of taps should be minimal. So how does webOS do? It's better then most other systems, but still not as good as Palm OS. And most of all, the whole system should be so fast that no "please wait indicators" (such as the Windows hourglass or Mac beachball). Well, everyone here knows how slow webOS is without overclocking.

Palm has been just about dead when they were just rebranding the Treo 650 again and again (Treo 680, 755... what's the difference?). And then came Ruby and co., who turned Palm into a new startup in the clothes of a dead company. Sure, the new Palm did innovate a lot, but the ZEN of Palm has long died.

It is sad to see the Palm name come to this point, but now, I guess all we can do is stick to the platform that's closest to what we think fits us best. To me, webOS is the 2nd best to Palm OS, and the best modern system, so I'll be sticking with webOS as long as it fits my needs, whatever it'll be branded.

If any of you recall how Netscape died a slow death, I feel the same with Palm. Netscape got reincarnated as the Mozilla project, and lives on as Firefox. Let's hope webOS lives on well with HP.
    I feel before we bury Palm, maybe we should give HP and Palm the benefit of the doubt and at least give them till the end of the year and let them release new hardware/software before condemning them to the grave. Why is everyone so negative in here?
    In the cartoon with the lady bear trying to buy an iP4, the sales bear says something like "can you tell me why you think the iPhone is the best phone?" Customer responds "Because it's an iPhone"

This is the same argument here. If Palm released a brick and called it a Palm phone, and HP released a webOS phone called a HP phone, which would be better? The HP obviously.

I love the name Palm and never want it to go away, but what I need is a new webOS phone under any name.

I'm in the keep the Palm brand camp, but I'm not going to get worked up about it.
    Palm was a dying brand with a reputation that's steadily deteriorated over the last 5 years. The HP takeover puts the Palm brand in a sort of 'witness protection' - new name, bad parts gone, good parts available. Once HP gets a couple of new WebOS products out the door, everyone will forget the Palm name, which is more a good thing than a bad thing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast