Voters
191. You may not vote on this poll
  • Palm webOS will be a success

166 86.91%
  • Palm webOS will fail

25 13.09%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When the Iphone launched....there where plenty of critics stating it would Fail.

examples :
    "We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone. PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in."
    Palm CEO Ed Colligan, commenting on then-rumored Apple iPhone, 16 Nov 2006
    "Apple is slated to come out with a new phone… And it will largely fail."
    Michael Kanellos, CNET, 7 December 2006
    "The only question remaining is if, when the iPod phone fails, it will take the iPod with it."
    Bill Ray, The Register, 26 December 2006
    "Apple will likely have a tough time convincing application vendors to build specialized clients for the iPhone until the volumes are there, and the volumes could be limited by the lack of third-party applications – a Catch 22."
    Jack Gold, J. Gold Associates, 10 January 2007
    "The iPhone is nothing more than a luxury bauble that will appeal to a few gadget freaks."
    Matthew Lynn, Bloomberg, 15 January 2007
    "Five hundred dollars? Fully subsidized, with a plan? It is the most expensive phone in the world and it doesn't appeal to business customers because it doesn't have a keyboard which makes it not a very good email machine… So, I, I kinda look at that and I say, well, I like our strategy. I like it a lot."
    Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO, 17 January 2007

I am not sure how it will stand against Sprint's Wimax (when it successfully launches) and its phones, which I am looking forward much more than over-hyped Apple iPhone."
    Bhaskar Chitraju, Indews Broadcast, 18 January 2007
    "iPhone may well become Apple's next Newton."
    David Haskin, Computerworld, 26 February 2007
    "Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone… What Apple risks here is its reputation as a hot company that can do no wrong. If it's smart it will call the iPhone a 'reference design' and pass it to some suckers to build with someone else's marketing budget. Then it can wash its hands of any marketplace failures… Otherwise I'd advise people to cover their eyes. You are not going to like what you'll see."
    John C. Dvorak, 28 March 2007
    "There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance. It's a $500 subsidized item. They may make a lot of money. But if you actually take a look at the 1.3 billion phones that get sold, I'd prefer to have our software in 60% or 70% or 80% of them, than I would to have 2% or 3%, which is what Apple might get."
    Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO, 30 April 2007
    "How do they deal with us?"
    Ed Zander, Motorola CEO/Chairman 10 May 2007
    "Apple begins selling its revolutionary iPhone this summer and it will mark the end of the string of hits for the company."
    Todd Sullivan, Seeking Alpha, 15 May 2007
    "What does the iPhone offer that other cell phones do not already offer, or will offer soon? The answer is not very much… Apple's stated goal of selling 10 million iPhones by the end of 2008 seems ambitious."
    Laura Goldman, LSG Capital, 21 May 2007
    "We Predict the iPhone will bomb. Which means that when the iPhone comes, Digg will likely be full of horror stories from the poor saps who camped out at their local AT&T store, only to find their purchase was buggier than a camp cabin."
    Seth Porges, The Futurist, 7 June 2007
    "The forthcoming (June 29) release of the Apple iPhone is going to be a bigger marketing flop than Ishtar and Waterworld combined. Because its designers forgot Platt's First, Last, and Only Law of User Experience Design ("Know Thy User, for He Is Not Thee"), that product is going to crash in flames. Sell your Apple stock now, while the hype's still hot. You heard it here first."
    David S. Platt, Suckbusters!, 21 June 2007

With all of the Palm critics on the web... and on this site, It seems like some people just love to short an up and coming product.

I am very optimistic of Palm \ webOS future with HP.
    Care to man up and give your opinion? Will webOS be a success?
    My qualifications for success :
    It does not need to be #1 or #2 in total market share to be considered a success. It needs to be a solid competitor and continue to progress, improve and thrive on phones and tablets \ PC's etc.. for years to come.
    EDIT :
    the voting is anonymous.. but feel free to post your stance. Im sure we would all like to know what it is.
    THIS IS A PALM DEATH WATCH. I WILL POST ALL ARTICLES I FIND CLAIMING HP PALM AS FAILURE. I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO DO THE SAME. YOU CAN AGREE PALM WILL FAIL...OR STATE WHY U THINK IT WILL SUCCEED. THE DEATH WATCH IS ON... AND IT WILL NOT END, BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL ALWAYS WAIT FOR THEM TO FAIL>>> JUST AS THEY ARE DOING WITH APPLE IPHONE....PALM IS DEAD.... LONG LIVE PALM!
    Last edited by clutch1222; 07/26/2010 at 12:39 AM.
    webOS will succeed, and I agree with your criteria. BTW: banned for changing your avatar! Oh wait...wrong thread...
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    I think the consensus is that WebOS is a viable OS and has an ease of use that has generally been true of Palm products. Can HP and Palm put it together with some good hardware and in a way that people like? I don't know, but I'm hoping.

HP's touchscreen PC that came out a year or two ago struck my eye and although I didn't buy one, I thought they took what I would have thought was a silly idea (who wants to sit that close to a big screen) and made it very enticing. Plus these are the people who made printer ink one of the most profitable products in a generation while all the goofy experts kept talking about offices going paperless.

I hope that HP Palm turns out to be a big deal. I think WebOS can compete and survive.
  4.    #4  
    Last edited by clutch1222; 07/21/2010 at 10:01 PM.
    Clutch, just remember we are supposed to be PG-13...this one may go a little too far.

I banned you in the correct thread, however, 'cause I needed something to ban you for there.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled topic before I derail this thread any further.

I think Palm's survival will all depend on next years phone. Not the one about to be released at the end of this year, but the one that HP and Palm will have worked on together. Then we'll see. I'm very optimistic, but cautiously so.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Clutch, just remember we are supposed to be PG-13...this one may go a little too far.

I banned you in the correct thread, however, 'cause I needed something to ban you for there.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled topic before I derail this thread any further.
    fair enough.... i made an avatar change... what do you think? better;-)
    Love it. Nice and creepy!

deceptive titles = FAIL
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    I think Palm's survival will all depend on next years phone. Not the one about to be released at the end of this year, but the one that HP and Palm will have worked on together. Then we'll see. I'm very optimistic, but cautiously so.
    I think this is a pretty reasonable assessment. The phone coming out now will probably have relatively little hp influence. Even if this next phone is great, hp will still need to prove themselves when the first phone developed with their r&d dollars comes out. Hp needs to show that they know how to run a successful smartphone line, and they need to show that they are committed to developing webos in a way palm couldn't have afforded to alone.
    People aren't going to vote for fail on a Pre forum.

Anyways, WebOS has already failed. My metric? It was supposed to keep Palm afloat. Instead, Palm continued to hemorrhage money and developer interest continued to fall. Palm getting delisted from the stock exchange and a bigger company buying them=fail.

I look at the future with HP as more of a "second coming". Whether or not it happens remains to be seen. I'm trying to hold on to this phone as long as I can.
    I'm willing to man up as it were and state for the record I believe that webos will not be a failure.

to that end I consider the bar of failure to be set at the level of it's contemporary competition. I will take an example from one of the, if not the, largest most profitable tech companies on earth.

I choose KIN, and that means for webOS it's a win.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung;2568641
    Anyways, WebOS has [I
    already[/I] failed. My metric?
    Such a failure that one of the biggest technology companies in the world bought Palm just to get hold of it. I don't think so!
    Cant compare it to apple as when Apple came out , while the press was not behind it but it succeded. Webos Came out and it failed ( relativley speaking) , The only reason HP got the opportunity to buy Palm was becasue it failed. . this would be the second attempt. Iphone did it on the first try beating the sceptics. While I am no fan of apple , comparison is not valid. Im not saying webos cant be successful , it just might find a niche.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    deceptive titles = FAIL
    WB33... why do you think its a deceptive title ?

Death watch is an ongoing watch on a company or product. Quotes from people claiming the failure of that product are posted.
    Iphone death watch is still on going :
    Even as people were queuing up to buy the device, critics were dancing on its grave
    http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.w...ng?w=141&h=240AAPLinvestors' Terry Gregory, a longtime Apple (AAPL) stockholder, likes to collect what he believes to be misguided quotes about the company's products.
    His site hosts a fascinating list of early Macintosh reviews and what may be the definitive collection of dumb iPhone quotes.
    In that spirit, he started a "death watch" collection for the iPad in January, after Steve Jobs unveiled his latest creation. We published a sample in March, before the April 3 launch.
    But the fun hasn't stopped. On the suggestion of reader FalKirk, here are some of the things the critics have been saying since then:
    Alex Cook, Frontier Outlook, 3 April 2010:
    "I don't get it. It costs $500 for the basic model, when you could get a laptop with a lot more functionality for about the same price... I don't buy the iPad hype. Analyst expectations for iPad revenue are way overblown. If I turn out to be wrong, I'll gladly eat my words, but I'm pretty sure that I'm not wrong. "
    Paul Thurrott, Paul Thurrott's Supersite for Windows, 5 April 2010:
    "Anyone who believes this thing is a game changer is a tool."

Reggie Fils-Aime, President, Nintendo of America, 7 April 2010:
    "If our games represent a range between snacks of entertainment and full meals depending on the type of game, [Apple's] aren't even a mouthful."
    Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post, 9 April 2010:
    "In short, I don't get the 'magical and revolutionary' vibe that Apple chief executive Steve Jobs touted at the iPad's January unveiling."
    Josh Belzman, MSNBC.com, 20 May 2010:
    "The iPad is useless. Beautiful, but useless."

since there are many critics of Palm all over the web and on this site... here is a chance to post criticism of Palm, or optimistic views on its success.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    People aren't going to vote for fail on a Pre forum.

Anyways, WebOS has already failed. My metric? It was supposed to keep Palm afloat. Instead, Palm continued to hemorrhage money and developer interest continued to fall. Palm getting delisted from the stock exchange and a bigger company buying them=fail.

I look at the future with HP as more of a "second coming". Whether or not it happens remains to be seen. I'm trying to hold on to this phone as long as I can.
    Perfect Post!
    6 people already did vote for a fail....
    webOS has already failed? perfect.
    hey even the aple dude said palm made great OS
    Your qualification for "success" is so vague, how could one not say WebOS will "succeed". It will almost certainly be offered widely on many form factors for years to come in a competitive fashion if HP spent over a billion to acquire it. If that's a success, you could say Nokia is "succeeding" with Symbian even though they're spiraling badly with no plans to correct their descent.

You have to be far more specific for this question of "Will they?/Won't they?" to have any meaning whatsoever.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Cant compare it to apple as when Apple came out , while the press was not behind it but it succeded. Webos Came out and it failed ( relativley speaking) , The only reason HP got the opportunity to buy Palm was becasue it failed. . this would be the second attempt. Iphone did it on the first try beating the sceptics. While I am no fan of apple , comparison is not valid. Im not saying webos cant be successful , it just might find a niche.
    great opinion.
    Palm did not go bankrupt. Palm was working on the release of another webOS phone. If they went it alone.... maybe success, maybe not. Did they do the right thing by selling to HP in order to gain the scale necessary to compete with a google / apple? imo, yes.
    webOS and Palm are very much alive... not dead by a long shot. We shall see if they "fail". A failure of webOS would be it no longer thriving and being marketed on products. the Death watch is ticking...
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Your qualification for "success" is so vague, how could one not say WebOS will "succeed". It will almost certainly be offered widely on many form factors for years to come in a competitive fashion if HP spent over a billion to acquire it. If that's a success, you could say Nokia is "succeeding" with Symbian even though they're spiraling badly with no plans to correct their descent.

You have to be far more specific for this question of "Will they?/Won't they?" to have any meaning whatsoever.
    fair enough...
    anyone is welcome to post their criteria for webOS to be a sucsess, and give their opinions on if it will fail or succeed.
    based on the criteria I provided.... Users still voted it will fail.
    it's anonymous... So it would be interesting to hear why those voted fail.
    I'm open to suggestions on a more appropriate criteria
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast