191. You may not vote on this poll
  • Palm webOS will be a success

166 86.91%
  • Palm webOS will fail

25 13.09%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    All HP/Palm needs is to release a device with a 3.7-4.0 inch screen while keeping the physical keyboard(with a solid slider that won't break). Many people would jump on a Palm device right now if it LOOKED the part of a leading edge device. We have a 1GHz processor with overclocking, so a stock 1GHz processor would solve things with the larger screen. Going with a larger keyboard with larger keys would also help, or an on-screen keyboard.
    Oh enough with the coddling of feelings already. I called it a jumble of hilarity because I think it is. Anytime someone claims a product with virtually ZERO percent of marketshare and mindshare is going to be "a winner" alongside one with 20 percent marketshare and almost incalculable mindshare, it seems so far from reality that I consider it funny.

It's the same reason why M from The Holy Grail is so funny.

Now can we move on?

I truly want to know the reasoning that leads one to this conclusion.

As for the main question of the thread, I've already stated why it cannot be answered given the current criterion for "success". Metrics have to be attached along with a timeframe. Without that, it's pointless.
    The better question, is can Palm be competitive?

That i am more inclined to believe....i don't think they will ever be on iPhone/Android sales level however.

Just the nature of the beast.
    It's not enough anymore for WebOS to run on top-notch hardware. It's not even enough anymore for Palm to finally finish and optimize the OS to run on their initial set of specs.

Google is at 70K+ apps and iPhone is 3x that. Most importantly, each platform is full of momentum and has a full SDK to keep momentum. WebOS has under 3K, very little-to-no momentum, and has an incomplete SDK with no concrete date on when it will be finished.

If Hewlett-Packard/Palm cannot quickly finish the SDK (this is likely to happen when the next hardware drops, to be fair) AND figure a way to pay off many big name developers to port and keep their apps updated, WebOS will remain a tiny niche (in the smartphone arena, at least) that HP will stop throwing significant money after. Mainstream people are going to go where Rhapsody, Netflix, Hulu, Shazam, Epicurious, GM, etc. are at.
    Agreed.

Its sad to say, HP/ Palm would have a lot easier time going after the feature phone market (which again they basically tried with their "fat middle" quote).

Trying to break into android/iPhone area is just going to be tough for them. Even MS, with windows phone 7....Microsoft has a pretty big Mobile following and if they get xbox integration good? They have 40 million potential customers who would get windows mobile phone just for the xbox live integration.

Palm really doesn't have a strong selling point. I said this in another thread but here it is again:

Android: Google. If you use google services this is hands down the best experience for that.

iOS: Hey, ever heard of the iPod and iTunes? What if i said you can do the same thign with your phone? the apple ecosystem is a HUGE seller for the iPhone esp. among general consumers.

Windows Phone 7: Xbox, Zune, Hotmail (global) and Office. Those are just some of the leverage Microsoft has with their phone.

Palm: Honestly...what leverage do they have here? They need other companies to fill in their gaps big time. They had the iTunes hack which is no more, they have google having half *** support so their google maps integration is the worst on any mobile device (that includes Palm OS). They have no one willing to make office software for them since Data Viz doesn't give a damn.

They honestly don't have anything they can leverage at this point...they just need to make good partnerships and as mikah said finish the SDK fully. I think they need a high end device but priced lower than $200. At $200 most people are going to be looking elsewhere.

Palm has a hell of a road in front of them. They can't approach the market half assed...if HP is not fully committed to making inroads on the smartphone market then WebOS will fail and only be used on Printers.
    Well, I wouldn't say only printers. HP will shove this like crazy onto netbooks and slates. Whether it takes or not...who knows?

But I don't think keeping up with Google, Microsoft, and Apple in the smartphone wars is a big priority. WebOS is going to be hardware agnostic going forth.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    With HP dropping Win7 and concentrating on WebOS that alone will drive WebOS along. Then add to that all the other things that HP wants to do with WebOS: Tablets, Netbooks and printers, maybe other items, that will bring the developers to WebOS. They will develop and market cutting edge handhelds, that is where the future is.
    You can throw all the devices out there if people don't care/don't buy it it will just be a waste of money.

No one has explained how HP will attract customers.

Hint: hardware and even more advance WebOS are simply not enough at this point of the game. Hell, hardware is probably enough to get the people who left Pre from this forum to stay or come back.

But there is a whole pool of people out there who again, still have no clue what WebOS is.
    One way to do is to take advantage of the young tablet/pad market.....throw in a much awaited a WebOS tablet aka PalmPad with heavy marketing...then introduce the next WebOS phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by rfceo View Post
    With HP dropping Win7 and concentrating on WebOS that alone will drive WebOS along. Then add to that all the other things that HP wants to do with WebOS: Tablets, Netbooks and printers, maybe other items, that will bring the developers to WebOS. They will develop and market cutting edge handhelds, that is where the future is.
    Cutting edge handhelds? Really? What cutting edge handhelds have they created thus far, or what cutting edge device makers have they acquired recently? Remember, Palm's hardware was consistently considered a weakpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    One way to do is to take advantage of the young tablet/pad market.....throw in a much awaited a WebOS tablet aka PalmPad with heavy marketing...then introduce the next WebOS phone.
    Much-awaited? By who? The current microdemographic of WebOS users?

Let me put it this way: Let's assume that HP cannot significantly undercut the iPad in price (spoiler: They can't). If they offer a tablet that browses, plays music, and does Twitter and Facebook, and Apple offers one that browses (better), plays music (better), does Twitter and Facebook, has ondevice content providers for books, comics, movies, and TV shows, streams Hulu, streams NetFlix, plays a much wider selection of games, gets better battery life, has an operating system people already know and are familiar with, is used by their friends, etc.....

....why is a PalmPad going to be a runaway success even with heavy marketing?

Remember HP's successfully marketed-and-sold computers run Windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Much-awaited? By who? The current microdemographic of WebOS users?

Let me put it this way: Let's assume that HP cannot significantly undercut the iPad in price (spoiler: They can't). If they offer a tablet that browses, plays music, and does Twitter and Facebook, and Apple offers one that browses (better), plays music (better), does Twitter and Facebook, has ondevice content providers for books, comics, movies, and TV shows, streams Hulu, streams NetFlix, plays a much wider selection of games, gets better battery life, has an operating system people already know and are familiar with, is used by their friends, etc.....

....why is a PalmPad going to be a runaway success even with heavy marketing?

Remember HP's successfully marketed-and-sold computers run Windows.
    I was replying to Mantis....it was an idea how they should market the new phone.
    As for your post and ipad playing all videos and movies good for them. It would be stupid of me to side with Palm tablet at the moment when we don't have any specs. All i can say is that WebOS has potential.
    I don't think specs matter. Just performance and ecosystem. Lest I sound too negative or bearish, let me say that I am hopeful that HP has been on an acquisition spree for stuff like video conferencing because that signals to me that they are serious about rounding out WebOS so that it has a more robust out-of-the-box experience with core apps that deliver everything, as opposed to Android's "pick and choose what you like" strategy which is great for techies, but not as friendly for consumers.

But that's just one part of the puzzle. They gotta partner up with some music/video/ebookstore/ecomic bookstores. Microsoft is starting from the same square one that WebOS 2.0 will be, but they already have a lot of this stuff in place, along with Xbox and Office assets they can leverage. HPalm can't let them steal that thunder. There's really only a place for ONE consumer OS that isn't Google or Apple doing those things.
    I wouldn't be surprised if HP is gunning for RIM first. They have a great reputation with the business crowd and are probably working fast to get webos up to par with bbos. RIM is not some untouchable target, they have been losing marketshare quarter after quarter. Let's not forget that of their ~40% US marketshare, only ~20% of that is business users. Blackberry has been doing very with regular consumers because of BBM, but many people I know using it are starting to complain at how boring their phone is otherwise. Webos will attract many RIM users who want a good touch screen experience and ease of use, like the iPhone, but are not willing ton give up the keyboard.

My post is no less speculation than any other post in this thread, but going after RIM makes logical sense to me. They've been begging for some competition for a long time now. If HP can put a dent in their marketshare, developers will start to notice webos, as it is a much easier platform to develop for than blackberry. This will then help solve hp's biggest obstacle of getting apps for webos.

/speculation
    It's not just ecosystem though HP really doesn't have one. But core services too.

Apple's ecosystem (itunes & apps) is its core service which takes years to build.

Google's is its net apps like gmail, gvoice, gmaps. Not to mention having multiple makers who drop new devices once a month.

MS has office, windows (and integration), zune, bing, maps, xbox, etc. Granted, this is MS who brought us the Kin, but the stuff has always been there if MS could figure it out.

What will HP have? Oh it'll work nicely with that laser printer? IMO, HP has to figure this stuff out along with having that cool looking hardware and finished OS. If they can, then they'll be ok. If i had to vote pass or fail, i vote fail. Because the odds are much against it.
    I hate the title of this thread...
    I have to smile when I read this. The arguments might pull more weight if the smartphone and tablet era had been going 20 years. This ball just started roling. Apple pulled out way ahead of everyone so they have the lead. They have what I think is a very important advantage, they own both the software and the hardware. This is one reason I think Palm is in a good place. The other is an awesome OS. Most complaints were the hardware & missing features. Improvements are coming.

There is still a huge untapped vein of new users. The youth of the segment makes accurate predictions impossible. We are all just giving opinions. Keep going.
    Actually RIM has the lead.

Nokia has the global lead.
  19.    #59  
    RIP Palm: it's over, and here's why
    Attached Images Attached Images
  20.    #60  
    Engadget's Vlad Savov remarked, "Seriously, what the hell did HP acquire when it bought Palm? A bunch of pretty patents and a rapidly dwindling talent pool, it would seem."http://forums.precentral.net/attachm...m-vultures.jpg
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast