View Poll Results: Palm Death Watch

Voters
191. You may not vote on this poll
  • Palm webOS will be a success

    166 86.91%
  • Palm webOS will fail

    25 13.09%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61
  1. Dazo's Avatar
    Posts
    125 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #21  
    I think the OS will "succeed." As a smartphone and keeping/gaining customers, not so much.
  2. #22  
    Same feelings. I think WEBOS will be successful on slates and printers etc and be a popular OS but I dont think phones sales will be much to sneeze at.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dazo View Post
    I think the OS will "succeed." As a smartphone and keeping/gaining customers, not so much.
  3.    #23  
  4.    #25  
    Now i see where users are getting their "facts" on why HP Palm will Fail.

    What will HP do with Palm’s webOS? Mostly likely: fail — RoughlyDrafted Magazine

    Death watch keeps ticking..........
  5. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    Now i see where users are getting their "facts" on why HP Palm will Fail.

    What will HP do with Palm’s webOS? Mostly likely: fail — RoughlyDrafted Magazine

    Death watch keeps ticking..........
    Good article. Pretty much nailed it (the last coffin nail) on the head.
  6. #28  
    I read those articles and opinions when they came out and very hard to disagree with them. Theres alot more like it . While I dont think that it will be a utter falure here are a few more for ya'all to read.

    HP and Palm: How To Waste a Billion Dollars HP and Palm: How To Waste a Billion Dollars

    Evening Reading: Why H-P’s Palm Buy Will Fail - Deal Journal - WSJ

    Is HP flushing $1.2B away with Palm buy? - Washington Times

    As the late sportswriter Jimmy Cannon used to say, "Nobody asked me, but ..." And here, the "but" is that this writer believes Hewlett-Packard may have just flushed a boatload of cash down the drain buying a handheld device company long past its prime.

    HP announced the deal to acquire Palm Inc. on Wednesday afternoon. The firm, which generally has made very sensible moves in the past couple of years, now is betting a rather large sum (for most of us, not necessarily for HP, which has a market capitalization of $125 billion) on a firm that (a) hasn't made a dent in the iPhone/BlackBerry/smartphone dominance of the market; (b) hasn't come anywhere close to Apple's iPhone App Store in number of available programs; and (c) seems oddly quaint, given the ascendency of Google's Android smartphone operating system.

    To me, and I've only been covering this stuff since Ronald Reagan's first term, it seems like a bad bet.
  7. #29  
    WebOS will succeed, but as long as it stays the way it is, its market will remain limited.

    Most people just want to buy a phone and expect it to perform, out of the box.

    As long as we have to add enhancements, on our own, that give it some of the most basic functions, then there will always be people that walk away.


    They do not want to take the time to enable the device to do what they wish and/or they get disgusted that they paid the money to discover they need to make changes.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  8. #30  
    The winners in Smart Phones will be iOS and webOS. Android will become a niche OS because of fragmentation.

    This may take a couple of years but it will happen. RIM, MS, and Nokia could still join the game.

    Android is severely fragmented and it looks like it is only going to get worse. There are millions(?) of Android phones stuck at incremental update versions.

    The manufacturer skins show a potential to evolve down different paths. Soon there could be essentially 4+ separate Android OSs. With phones stuck at various OS versions on each branch.

    Developing for and supporting Android is going to become a nightmare unless they get fragmentation under control.
  9. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by SFHandyman View Post
    The winners in Smart Phones will be iOS and webOS. Android will become a niche OS because of fragmentation.

    This may take a couple of years but it will happen. RIM, MS, and Nokia could still join the game.

    Android is severely fragmented and it looks like it is only going to get worse. There are millions(?) of Android phones stuck at incremental update versions.

    The manufacturer skins show a potential to evolve down different paths. Soon there could be essentially 4+ separate Android OSs. With phones stuck at various OS versions on each branch.

    Developing for and supporting Android is going to become a nightmare unless they get fragmentation under control.
    +1, once the hype of Android passes, it will be what Symbian is today.
  10. #32  
    Google already has plans to end the fragmentation . once Gingerbread is out they will only update once a year to keep everyone on the same page. Im a fan of webos (and own a Pre) but to say Android is hype is beyond silly. If WEBOS actually had users there would be fragmentation too as Sprint, Verizon and AT&T would not all put out the same version at the same time. There is no fragmentation of WEBOS becasue it has almost no users. Atleast Google is going to put an end to it.

    Froyo and Gingerbread Aim to End Android Platform Fragmentation | AndroidGuys

    Engadget is reporting today that the Google is looking to tackle the growing problem of Android fragmentation head on with the next two installments of Android: Froyo and Gingerbread. You know, the kind of fragmentation that has users running four different versions of the Android OS on their smart-phones (1.5, 1.6, 2.0, and 2.1). Put simply, Google's been iterating the core far faster than most of its partners have been able to keep up.

    According to the Engadget Team, many of Android's standard applications and components from the platform's core will be made downloadable and updatable through the Market, much the same as Google Maps now is. This process will take place over two major Android versions, starting with Froyo and continuing through Gingerbread. This way, just because Google rolls out an awesome new browser doesn't mean you need to wait for HTC, Samsung, or whomever made your phone to roll it into a firmware update, and for your carrier to approve it. If all of this happens, you will be able to download most things from the market! Sounds like a damn good idea to me!
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 07/25/2010 at 09:19 PM.
  11. #33  
    lol, android going the way of Symbian.

    This forum is dillusional sometimes.

    The unpopular (on a consumer level) WebOS is some how going to pull a hail mary and be the top OS mean while the very fast growing android is going to go the way of the dodo?

    Come on now. The only people crying about fragmentation are us tech heads....and guess what? They aren't the ones keeping the T-Mobile G1 still. Most general consumers are just happy if their phone works so if someone who has 2.1 and can't upgrade to froyo for whatever reason, it doesn't make their phone stop working...their favorite apps all of a sudden don't stop working...their phone is 100% still useable.

    Most likely they will never hear of Froyo or Gingerbread. And there lies the issue, how come WebOS couldn't attract the general users? And how is it all of a sudden going to attract them?


    As much as I love WebOS they have the hardest road in front of them right now. Trying to make people care about their OS. To this day people STILL don't know what a Palm Pre is.

    Its pathetic.
  12. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    lol, android going the way of Symbian.
    Come on now. The only people crying about fragmentation are us tech heads....and guess what? They aren't the ones keeping the T-Mobile G1 still. Most general consumers are just happy if their phone works so if someone who has 2.1 and can't upgrade to froyo for whatever reason, it doesn't make their phone stop working...their favorite apps all of a sudden don't stop working...their phone is 100% still useable.
    Apps that depend on the API of a website can break in all versions of an app if the website changes the API (you know these types of apps are common). Twitter just did it this week and broke parts of one of our Twitter apps.

    Potentially there are going to be some customers stuck back on different OS versions that are not able to update to the current version of the app.

    You can see why I think it could potentially become a real pain for everyone, especially developers who will be the folks handling a lot of the complaints.

    If they get the fragmentation under control, it won't be as bad, but it will take a couple of years before most of the phones stuck at 1.5, 1.6 and the 2.x versions are retired.

    If you look back at earlier reports, Google has said all along they knew it would fragment. Hopefully they can fix it.

    Just telling you why I wouldn't go to Android given the current status.
  13. #35  
    If HelloNNNewman reads this: I'd like to be nominated for the "Chicken Little Award". Thank you for your consideration.
  14. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by SFHandyman View Post
    The winners in Smart Phones will be iOS and webOS. Android will become a niche OS because of fragmentation.

    This may take a couple of years but it will happen. RIM, MS, and Nokia could still join the game.

    Android is severely fragmented and it looks like it is only going to get worse. There are millions(?) of Android phones stuck at incremental update versions.

    The manufacturer skins show a potential to evolve down different paths. Soon there could be essentially 4+ separate Android OSs. With phones stuck at various OS versions on each branch.

    Developing for and supporting Android is going to become a nightmare unless they get fragmentation under control.
    I'm sorry, but where in this jumble of hilarity did you explain exactly how WebOS will somehow become on par with iPhone as a "winner" in smartphones?

    You can take shots at Android all day, but they just keep winning more and get more manufacturer and carrier support. What's WebOS going to do to win in the smartphone arena? If all it took was a HP-level huge giant with leverage and money galore willing it to succeed, Windows Mobile would be the undisputed champ for several years running. So how do you see WebOS pulling a 180?

    I'm genuinely curious.
  15.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm sorry, but where in this jumble of hilarity did you explain exactly how WebOS will somehow become on par with iPhone as a "winner" in smartphones?

    You can take shots at Android all day, but they just keep winning more and get more manufacturer and carrier support. What's WebOS going to do to win in the smartphone arena? If all it took was a HP-level huge giant with leverage and money galore willing it to succeed, Windows Mobile would be the undisputed champ for several years running. So how do you see WebOS pulling a 180?

    I'm genuinely curious.
    I think you comparing win mobile 6.5 etc... to webOS is absurd? The difference is webOS... and that should be obvious.


    How about you comment on the main topic... instead of picking apart someone's opinion? Did you vote?

    Will webOS succeed? OR will it fail as win mobile has?
    you can break it up... choose where it fails/ succeeds.... change criteria.

    Im genuinely curious.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  16. #38  
    mikah912 raises a good point, and there's nothing wrong with trying to engage in discussion about people's opinions. this is a message board, right? come on, man.
  17.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    mikah912 raises a good point, and there's nothing wrong with trying to engage in discussion about people's opinions. this is a message board, right? come on, man.
    raises a good point?

    "I'm sorry, but where in this jumble of hilarity"

    when it is all your doing... its not ok . it ends up turning into a p.i.s.s.i.n.g contest... and the mikah will state" this thread sucks now" ...

    its ok to engage in in discussion... respectfully. try offering your own opinion on the main topic as well... instead of just ripping someones apart.
    it ends up discouraging others from contributing.... among other things.

    Stung
    palm webos... succeed of fail? why
  18. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by SFHandyman View Post
    Apps that depend on the API of a website can break in all versions of an app if the website changes the API (you know these types of apps are common). Twitter just did it this week and broke parts of one of our Twitter apps.

    Potentially there are going to be some customers stuck back on different OS versions that are not able to update to the current version of the app.

    You can see why I think it could potentially become a real pain for everyone, especially developers who will be the folks handling a lot of the complaints.

    If they get the fragmentation under control, it won't be as bad, but it will take a couple of years before most of the phones stuck at 1.5, 1.6 and the 2.x versions are retired.

    If you look back at earlier reports, Google has said all along they knew it would fragment. Hopefully they can fix it.

    Just telling you why I wouldn't go to Android given the current status.
    I just dont' see it as being a big concern yet again to the general public.

    There is a similar level of fragmentation on Blackberry OS and about to get bigger with OS6 coming out....yet there isn't some huge out cry.

    Maybe its the pace of Android that has people worried but there are still people with the iPhone 2.5G that are fine and happy and they are getting left behind now.

    I will say, yes it can make it tough for developers...but Google does release the percentage of OS in their market and i think many smart developers will develop for what works on the most common devices.

    I do think Google needs to take an MS approach and have a set of standards for hardware. No one is buying low end android devices in droves so maybe even remove the app marketplace from low end android devices and just have the carrier decide what apps to put on it.

    Or hell, would it make people happy if Google just stopped updating their OS? They did say they are slowing updates down to 1 a year but we'll see.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions