1.    #1  
    So, HP confirmed the Slate is still in development.

What do you guys think about HP releasing both Win7 and WebOS tablets?

Will the Slate cannibalize Palm Pad sales? If the device ran well enough and the price was right, I could see many users choosing the Slate over the Palm Pad because it would be a more full-featured device and many people would benefit from the ability to files, folders, etc. to and from their tablet to their PC/Mac.

Thoughts?
    I think these target different markets. The Slate will be an epic fail and Microsoft will push the device down the throats of its closest "partners".

Whereas: the WebOS tablet will be more akin to the iPad: an OS designed from the ground up to faciliate mobile computing, and not a desktop OS hacked barely enough to fit into a crappy tablet execution (like the Windows-based Slate). Seems very foolish to me that HP is still pursuing this relationship with MS.
    I am just hypothesizing, but it seems to me like HP is just trying to honor its commitments to Microsoft without actually pushing the Slate.

My reasoning is:
    -There was no published press release.
    -The Slate is stashed away on HP's website, not highlighted.
    -No announced release date.

Keep in mind, no matter how much they love WebOS, HP has to maintain a good working relationship with Microsoft. HP is still (and will be for some time to come) primarily a PC maker. In that space Microsoft still is an important relationship, can't just abandon them altogether.

I predict HP will sell this thing (the Slate that is), but do absolutely nothing in terms of advertising and pushing for product placement. The good news is the hardware specs are very good, so if the predicted PalmPad has the same specs running WebOS, could make for a very very nice Tablet.
    To be honest, I really doubt HP is bending over backward to accomodate MS. MS needs them more that HP needs them! With Dell exploring Android and HP exploring WebOS. MS's options for mobile OS customers are dwindling. If they irritate HP or Dell badly enough they could use other options for operating systems. What are MS's options for replacing HP and Dell? Not many...

I think HP is simply keeping its options open as well as pressuring MS to clean up their act!
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    So, HP confirmed the Slate is still in development.

What do you guys think about HP releasing both Win7 and WebOS tablets?

Will the Slate cannibalize Palm Pad sales? If the device ran well enough and the price was right, I could see many users choosing the Slate over the Palm Pad because it would be a more full-featured device and many people would benefit from the ability to files, folders, etc. to and from their tablet to their PC/Mac.

Thoughts?
    It depend on how much marketing cost they put on !
    However, it is undeniable that the offering of Android OS with no cost to smartphone manufacturing is a unfair battle HP, Apple and MS should face. It just like internet explorer against Nascape before, you can't beat it.
    I think HP will target the PalmPad as an iPad (Tablet for mass consumers, focused on multimedia), while the HP Slate will be targeted as a working tablet, like the old TabletPCs. And yes, the one seen in all the ads will be the PalmPad, while the HP Slate will be seen only on those catalogues for business.