Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Yesterday I was riding Amtrak and randomly sat near a guy that turned out to be a regional sales manager for Palm. After talking with him for about 30 minutes, he verified a lot of information that is already known and also gave me the heads up on some small things I had not known. Keep in mind, he is not an engineer, but still seemed very well informed. Here is what he had to say:

-1.4.5 will be coming in the next 7-10 days. (he was aware that I had a Verizon Pre+, so I'm not sure if this information pertained to Verizon specifically or all US carriers).

-There will be new phones (definitely plural) in time for the holiday shopping season.

-There will be a WebOS tablet before the end of 2010.

-Also in time fore the holiday season, a new generation of Touchstones, including one specifically designed for car-mounting.

-New merchandise will be branded, HP Palm _____ (ex: HP Palm Pre2).

*nothing too juicy here, but I had not heard any rumors about new touchstones so I think that is relatively fresh info. The rest is probably further verification of things we had all heard many times before.

*In hindsight: literally every piece of information was wrong. WOW. sorry to have wasted everybody's time and raised false hopes.
    Last edited by Courousant; 04/13/2011 at 05:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    -Also in time fore the holiday season, a new generation of Touchstones, including one specifically designed for car-mounting.
    About time. Although I did just finish reinstalling a custom TS setup in my car.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    About time. Although I did just finish reinstalling a custom TS setup in my car.

Ditto.

Oh well, another way to spend more money on my "free" Pre.
    Did he say whether the old touchstone will still work with the "Pre2"?
  5.    #5  
    No, I was picking and choosing very carefully once I discovered who he was. My wife was extremely embarrassed.

The fact that a new generation of touchstones is coming out isn't definitive, but other than a car touchstone, I can't imagine what else they would need to develop if the current touchstones will work with new pre's. Maybe a larger touchstone for the proposed PalmPad?
    Nice, nice! Love the tablet confirmation! I. Can't. Wait!!
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    How about a touchstone for the fridge so I can haz a tablet in the kitchen at all times?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    Nice, nice! Love the tablet confirmation! I. Can't. Wait!!
    yeah, I'm pretty psyched for a tablet also. Really like the "PalmPad" name that HP seems to be running with also.

Now we need a good document editor. You hear me docs2go?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    Now we need a good document editor. You hear me docs2go?!
    Forget about Doc2Go, they're abandoners. QuickOffice seems like they're stepping up to the plate according to early ROM leaks from China.

I kinda wish they were a little more inventive with the name(regarding PalmPad). But as long as the hardware is badass, I don't care.
    Last edited by Kyusaku; 07/19/2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Made note I was talking about PalmPad name
  10. CFC
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I'm looking for an updated phone. I think in the short time since the Pre's been released, the fury at which the droid phones have been coming out will push HP/Palm to release an even more potent/powerful smart phone.... at least I hope so.

CFC
    Awesome.. PalmPad
    I don't want to be a naysayer...but...is there any reason why people should be particularly trusting of this account?
    ^^ Naysayer

Surely even Courousant would tell you to take it all with some level of skepticism.

I'm pleasantly surprised that you folks haven't jumped all over this guy (Perhaps the P|C PeaceKeepers are making a difference?). Makes people more likely to share when they come across bits of info. I'm sure the editors will read and substantiate if they can.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 07/19/2010 at 05:10 PM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I hope everything except the HP Palm branding is true. I do not want to be constantly reminded that my phone is technically an HP product.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I hope everything except the HP Palm branding is true. I do not want to be constantly reminded that my phone is technically an HP product.
    If it's still as epic as Palm has always been, who cares?
    dropping $$$ on a new Palm phone and a webOS tablet within the same quarter. yikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    couldn't agree with this MORE.

while I am most certainly psyched as all of you for new WebOS hardware, the device would have to be near perfect for me not to be bothered with seeing the HP logo somewhere on the phone. why can't they just keep the Palm branding as-is since they are allegedly operating as an 'autonomous unit'? Lots of companies own other companies and don't resort to double-branding when it comes to physical products. Lame.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    couldn't agree with this MORE.

while I am most certainly psyched as all of you for new WebOS hardware, the device would have to be near perfect for me not to be bothered with seeing the HP logo somewhere on the phone. why can't they just keep the Palm branding as-is since they are allegedly operating as an 'autonomous unit'? Lots of companies own other companies and don't resort to double-branding when it comes to physical products. Lame.
    Because business people who don't pay any attention to these goings on that have been happening recently will notice the HP brand... a trusted brand in the business world... and it will give the Palm products more credence in their neck of the woods. Why is that important? Because HP is going to be pushing the "interconnectedness of all things" e.g. webOS slate, tablets, phones, printers etc that are capable of talking to each other. Imagine printing a document someone sent you from your phone... or faxing it... or automatically sending a file from your phone to your tablet or vice versa... HP has the right idea. Why is windows so prevalent? They captured the business world by making lots of things talk to each other right out of the box... then captured developers. Why are the still big even though they are so buggy? Because people use windows at work... so the vast majority know it, and will use it at home versus other options. People are lazy... why learn a new system when they one you are forced to use everywhere else you already have a bit of a feel for?
    Dear Courousant,

It was fun meeting you on the train the other day. Sorry about telling you all that "news," but I couldn't resist given how enthusiastic and hopeful you seemed. Did I tell you everything you wanted/expected to hear?

Sincerely,

Secret "Palm" guy who likes to risk his job by leaking information to complete strangers.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    imho the "new" touchtones are for data.close range high speed data transfer.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast