Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42
  1. tejoe's Avatar
    Posts
    156 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    huh? im talking about branding and the fact that Palm is supposed to remain as an 'autonomous unit'. If you've been paying attention to Palm for the last 15 or so years, they've been pretty popular with the business world with just 'Palm' on the phone..
    The business definition of autonomous: we saved you,now you do all the work,and we are gona put our name on it.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by tejoe View Post
    imho the "new" touchtones are for data.close range high speed data transfer.
    I WISH! Thats definitely a Palm Innovation worth media hype. Something Steve Jobs can slap his head for saying "why did i not think of that" (he definitely is saying that about the card metaphor multitasking and the touchstone)

    How hard can that be? I am no engineer, but given you can pass electric current thru the touchstone i think data should not be too different. Again i am no mechanic.
  3. #23  
    :| i'm skeptic but we'll see.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I WISH! Thats definitely a Palm Innovation worth media hype. Something Steve Jobs can slap his head for saying "why did i not think of that" (he definitely is saying that about the card metaphor multitasking and the touchstone)

    How hard can that be? I am no engineer, but given you can pass electric current thru the touchstone i think data should not be too different. Again i am no mechanic.
    Not gonna happen via the inductive coil for multiple reasons--it's just not designed for data--but what COULD happen is a wireless connection with a computer (either wifi or BT) that is triggered by placing the device on the Touchstone. A lot of the pieces for this are in place already, someone just has to integrate it all and make the experience smooth both on the Pre side and on the computer side. For example, on the computer side, I'd love to see the Pre appear like a network/webdav drive. This would probably require some software on the computer as well.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    yeah, I'm pretty psyched for a tablet also. Really like the "PalmPad" name that HP seems to be running with also.
    ...
    Can you give me a reference. I personally hope it's not what they go with.

    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I hope everything except the HP Palm branding is true. I do not want to be constantly reminded that my phone is technically an HP product.
    The thing is, that without HP you probably wouldn't have any semblance of the Palm brand left. I think HP Palm is good for marketing.
  6. #26  
    I would love to see a touchstone specific for car mounting. But im not sure how they could make it specific for car mounting other then allowing it to run off car voltage?

    Either way, I do perdict somthing will happen by the end of the year.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Not gonna happen via the inductive coil for multiple reasons--it's just not designed for data--but what COULD happen is a wireless connection with a computer (either wifi or BT) that is triggered by placing the device on the Touchstone. A lot of the pieces for this are in place already, someone just has to integrate it all and make the experience smooth both on the Pre side and on the computer side. For example, on the computer side, I'd love to see the Pre appear like a network/webdav drive. This would probably require some software on the computer as well.
    Well, everything I have to say is speculation, but here goes.
    My feeling is Bluetooth is too slow to be useful beyond syncing contacts. Transferring something as big as a movie would suck, and you'd have to include a Bluetooth dongle to connect to most PCs, which bring in its own set of issues.
    WiFi is a mess. No two home networks are anywhere near compatible, and trying to discover one connected device from another is painful. Plus, any transfers would have to go through a dedicated app for the PC (or, possibly, through a webpage hosted off the phone allowing you to do most file transfers, but unlikely to sync with desktop software).

    If I were to hope for anything, I'd go for Wireless USB. It's high-speed, close range communication, but fairly new and pretty rare. I'd say stick a slightly-customized Wireless USB receiver in the Touchstone, working as a USB bridge. One USB cable to your PC, where your Pre would appear as a normal USB device, and another USB cable to a dedicated USB charger.

    The problem with any of this is dealing with multiple Pre's in the presence of multiple computers. Figuring out who is connecting to what and when is far easier with just a cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
  8. #28  
    Brain_Recall's idea about wireless USB would be AMAZING! It would probably be the only thing that makes sense. The touchstones could be just a little bit more powerful (with better technology inside, at the same size, kind of like a USB stick with software preinstalled.... I.e. Wireless USB drivers).

    Also something interesting to note: on the Wiki page that Brain_Recall linked, HP was part of the Wireless USB promoter group that helped define it's specs.
  9.    #29  
    JohnCC: the PalmPad reference is from numerous online articles (I think there was an Engadget article and one here in PC). That particular info was not from the Palm employee.

    As for the remainder, as always, I (and you should) take everything with a grain of salt. To me the only real interesting tidbid was about the touchstones. Everything else had been hinted at by HP/Palm people a number of times.

    Oh, and as for the HP Palm _____, I think we all should have seen this coming (not that we can even call it definite). Palm just doesn't seem to have enough juice left to get good product placement etc and market attention without HP's name.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    I would love to see a touchstone specific for car mounting. But im not sure how they could make it specific for car mounting other then allowing it to run off car voltage?

    Either way, I do perdict somthing will happen by the end of the year.
    It will probably be more of a cradle so the phone doesn't fly off during an accident. Even though I have never had my Pre fall off my Touchstone in my car it is bound to happen in an accident.

    And mods, if you are going to delete my posts please let me know why. I thought we were allowed to speak our minds here.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    And mods, if you are going to delete my posts please let me know why. I thought we were allowed to speak our minds here.
    Yes, of course you can speak your mind here.... but comments cannot be inappropriate and must stay within our Forum Guidelines. If you have questions, feel free to PM me.
  12. #32  
    Cautiously optimistic.
    While I know several business development people who would discuss this level of detail, it is too close to what I WANT to hear.
    Still, I'm hoping it comes to be.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVisibleShadow View Post
    Cautiously optimistic.
    While I know several business development people who would discuss this level of detail, it is too close to what I WANT to hear.
    Still, I'm hoping it comes to be.
    Understood. And you should also note that the individual was a regional sales manager. Emphasis on Sales. Sales people have a knack for telling people what they want to hear. That being said, I am naturally extremely skeptical and I bought it. Plus the touchstone thing was completely unsolicited and I hadn't heard any other rumors about that.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    Yesterday I was riding Amtrak and randomly sat near a guy that turned out to be a regional sales manager for Palm. After talking with him for about 30 minutes, he verified a lot of information that is already known and also gave me the heads up on some small things I had not known. Keep in mind, he is not an engineer, but still seemed very well informed.
    Keep riding that train.. try and squeeze some more info from the homey!
  15. #35  
    I agree!
  16. #36  
    How exactly did you come to find out he worked for Palm?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Not gonna happen via the inductive coil for multiple reasons--it's just not designed for data--but what COULD happen is a wireless connection with a computer (either wifi or BT) that is triggered by placing the device on the Touchstone. A lot of the pieces for this are in place already, someone just has to integrate it all and make the experience smooth both on the Pre side and on the computer side. For example, on the computer side, I'd love to see the Pre appear like a network/webdav drive. This would probably require some software on the computer as well.
    That would get HOT.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  18. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    Well, everything I have to say is speculation, but here goes.
    My feeling is Bluetooth is too slow to be useful beyond syncing contacts. Transferring something as big as a movie would suck, and you'd have to include a Bluetooth dongle to connect to most PCs, which bring in its own set of issues.
    WiFi is a mess. No two home networks are anywhere near compatible, and trying to discover one connected device from another is painful. Plus, any transfers would have to go through a dedicated app for the PC (or, possibly, through a webpage hosted off the phone allowing you to do most file transfers, but unlikely to sync with desktop software).

    If I were to hope for anything, I'd go for Wireless USB. It's high-speed, close range communication, but fairly new and pretty rare. I'd say stick a slightly-customized Wireless USB receiver in the Touchstone, working as a USB bridge. One USB cable to your PC, where your Pre would appear as a normal USB device, and another USB cable to a dedicated USB charger.

    The problem with any of this is dealing with multiple Pre's in the presence of multiple computers. Figuring out who is connecting to what and when is far easier with just a cable.
    That's a great idea, but I think it has at least one disadvantage: cost. I don't think wifi is as big a mess as you say--I recently connected iTunes on my Mac with iTunes Remote running on my Pre and it was quite simple. But this required software on both sides of the connection. And any sort of firewall would potentially cause an issue. Bluetooth is somewhat simpler, but as you rightly note it's pretty slow for transferring media (though single songs aren't too bad).

    No option would be cost free as there would be some investment in development, but I think additional hardware costs would make it a lot more expensive very quickly, both for Palm and for the consumer.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  19. #40  
    That's also a cool idea, but probably overkill at 560Mbps, and quite possibly not designed for mobile phones.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions