Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darkproteus66 View Post
    What palm should do is not focus on specs and just get hardware that can run webOS the way it needs to be run. Like what apple is doing with the iphone 4. Trying to win the specs race is a losing battle against the onslaught of android phones, but having an amazing OS that runs stutter free and w/o lag or slowdown would for sure grab a lot of attention
    THIS. A million times THIS. One thing that has always turned me off about Android phones is that as soon as the next hot thing comes out, it's obsolete the next month. (If not sooner.) I'd be happy with yearly updates to the hardware/OS much in the way Apple seems to handle it. It keeps your current customer base satisfied with their product while still having something to look forward to, without feeling jipped about how "old" your two month old phone is.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt02 View Post
    about the patience, its hard when the phone I got in my pocket was announced 18 months ago and probably rumored long before.
    The first rumors, IIRC, came out a few weeks or perhaps a month prior to the announcement. Palm held things very close until then. Even the rumors just mentioned a new phone with an overhauled OS.

theres not even a rumor that Ive read about what the next webos phone is gonna be.
    You should check what Jackson had to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    The first rumors, IIRC, came out a few weeks or perhaps a month prior to the announcement. Palm held things very close until then. Even the rumors just mentioned a new phone with an overhauled OS.

You should check what Jackson had to say.
    I really hope that this is just the calm before the storm and that within the next month or so we get the phone unveiling and shortly after that we have the final product. Palm is probably playing with their hands close just because of how much steam the pre lost between announcement and launch
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    The nice thing for HP Palm is that even if they did some non-radical changes like up the speed and battery life, with maybe a somewhat improved keyboard and a more solid build feel, they'd have a winner since so many people respect how good WebOS is as a UI. They don't need a complete overhaul, so it shouldn't be all that difficult to bring something new to market. Likely the case that the HP buyout put a hold on a lot of decisions and caused some mandatory delays like every corporate buyout. Just don't wait too long before Microsoft ramps up their WP7 marketing - that should create a lot of noise in addition to the current Apple/Google/Motorola/HTC blitz of late.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    4.3" is way too big. that's what tablets/pads are for.

3.4, now that's a nice size.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    also, there already IS a dedicated graphics processor in the pre.
    I too don't really care so much about the "Specs Arms Race", really what we need are up to date specs, that will last for a year without degrading too much, similar to Apple. Make it work, it's what they did with the space shuttle and every other satellite launched.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post

I have to disagree. The 3.2 on the pre now is just too damn small. I live on my phone and for the most part use it as a replacement for my laptop when I can't lug that with me and I honestly do not like a screen of this size. I also think that the large slate form factor is just too large. I would rather have a happy medium screen of 3.7 with the same aspect ratio and double the current resolution. That will give us a screen that I wouldn't mind spending a long amount of time on and give us good pixle density making it easier on the eyes. All around what I would consider a better user experience

Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    I too don't really care so much about the "Specs Arms Race", really what we need are up to date specs, that will last for a year without degrading too much, similar to Apple. Make it work, it's what they did with the space shuttle and every other satellite launched.
    This idea will only work if HPalm keeps mum on the specs of the phone and overshoots it initially. I would say a 1.2 GHz stock proc and 768 mb of ram will put it ahead of the curve right now and keep the user experience acceptable for the next 12-18 months. If these specs are ever published in marketing though it would make the phone seem sluggish and underpowered compaired to android in the next 3-8 months. I say let the android manufacturers beat the hell out of each other with specs and just try to offer the most fluid and smooth user interface possible.
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    If Palm releases the following:

4" Screen - This seems to be the sweet spot. From the previews I have read about the Galaxy S, it has the perfect screen size. Resolution should be double what it is now so PDK games scale perfectly. (960x640)

Same form factor as the original Pre - I know it wasn't the first to have this form factor, but since the Pre was released there seems to be a ton of portrait slider smartphones coming out. Companies are figuring out that a portrait slider is best since the phone is used in portrait mode 90% of the time.

OMAP4 - If Palm can manage to be the first on the market with an OMAP4 smartphone they will have a big head start over the competition. The biggest advantage of the OMAP4 is the Cortex A9 CPU, which supports out-of-order execution. This will provide a HUGE performance increase.

GPU accelerated GUI in webOS 2.0 - This is the primary reason the iPhone feels so polished. Scrolling especially being off loaded from the CPU to the GPU will give the Pre a more appliance like feel rather than a computer like clunky feel.

Compass - All the other platforms have them, the time is now Palm especially if you want to get into the layer app game.

HD Video Recording - This should be simple, but if they could pull off 1080p/24/30, it will give them another leg up on the competition. The OMAP4 supports it in hardware.

Front Facing Camera with Facetime Support - Facetime is open source so Palm could easily add it. Being able to video chat with iPhone 4 users will be a big marketing win, even though people probably won't use it. They need the mindshare.
    they won't be able to make them fast enough.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Screw my contract with bell, i'll pay out of pocket for that..
    HI all,

How much before the Pre went on sale did Sprint &/or Palm confirm the date?

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    It was five months from CES in early January to launch day on 03 June. Launch confirmation date was somewhere inside of that, but I believe it was fairly early.
    They said first half of 09, but didn't announce the date t'ill may 19, I remember cause it's birthday. Even though i still had no idea when it was coming to Canada, i was happy knowing when Americans are getting it.

During the summer i went to the states, and my 30 minute trip in best buy was almost as exciting as a full day at 6 flags. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    They said first half of 09, but didn't announce the date t'ill may 19, I remember cause it's birthday. Even though i still had no idea when it was coming to Canada, i was happy knowing when Americans are getting it.

During the summer i went to the states, and my 30 minute trip in best buy was almost as exciting as a full day at 6 flags. :P
    Thank you and LOL about Trip to best Buy vs 6 flags!

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post

same here. I think the iPhone 4 size is as big as you should get.

Actually a lot of people buy the Pre because of its size. So they should not go away from that. the EVO, DroidX, all bricks.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    4" is the minimum I think they should. 3.1" is just way too small, and even the iPhone's 3.5" just seems down right small compared to the Evo and Droid X. I browse the web a LOT on my phone and enjoy the screen real estate. I've got manly hands, too, and the size of a 4"+ screen phone feels great in my hand.
    Even if that was "outdated" by the time it got here I'd buy it. It's a definite upgrade from the original Pre, but it has EVERYTHING I'd want in a phone. WebOS is that 1337 too.
    My sister just got the evo and while u ust plain dont like the OS i love the screen real estate. I think most people just look at the number 4.3 vs 3.1. If you have actually held an evo with your hand the viewing ability of webpages is amazing. I think the benefits of having a screen that much bigger far outweighs the negatives. Also its not much bigger than an iphone.

wish list
    4.0-4.3in screen
    omap4 dual-core 1.2ghz with scaler
    8mp camear hd video with a better sensor mp don't mean squat
    wifi bgn
    3mp front facing camera
    gyroscope
    compass
    fm tuner
    4g
    option for non assisted gps
    webos 2.0 gpu accelerated gui
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I'd be all over that phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcolon3 View Post
    My sister just got the evo and while u ust plain dont like the OS i love the screen real estate. I think most people just look at the number 4.3 vs 3.1. If you have actually held an evo with your hand the viewing ability of webpages is amazing. I think the benefits of having a screen that much bigger far outweighs the negatives. Also its not much bigger than an iphone.

wish list
    4.0-4.3in screen
    omap4 dual-core 1.2ghz with scaler
    8mp camear hd video with a better sensor mp don't mean squat
    wifi bgn
    3mp front facing camera
    gyroscope
    compass
    fm tuner
    4g
    option for non assisted gps
    webos 2.0 gpu accelerated gui
    At this point I don't care what they do just give me new hardware already. webOS is the best software around it's about damn time we have some hardware that does it justice. I'm a hardware junkie and it's about time I had my fix. HPalm let me give you my money already

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast