1.    #1  
    this is what to me is alot of peoples beef.

though all these android phones every month still dosent eqaute to one iphone thats released every year. Think about it the Nexus one went double wood (sold acouple of thousand, and now their halting production). The droid sold a little over a million devices. the Evo sold about 500k to 600k (also funny the pre on sprint sold 825K in the first Q, but most people forget about that, even sprint). the droid increadable a million devices and so on so lets say over a year Google has sold what 5 million maybe 6 million devices right. Look at this for moment every year the iphone sells well over 10 million iphones, and on one carrier. then focuses on it for that years span, and gets the most out of it. That also saves apple money as opposed to making 6 or 7 different Apple phones for no reason. Now imagine them on the other 3 major carriers,how much money they would make with one phone a year, and one design a year. Now imagine with HP behind Palm (and mind you Palm still sold over 3million pres and pixis with no money, or resorces to compete) imagine top of the line hardware, specs, resources, production, networking, advertisment, etc. Im all for them releasing the same device on every carrier, but if they made a bunch of devices like Google, thats so fragmented with version 1.5,1.6,2.0,2.1, froyo, frodo, ginderbread house, BS I would not be happy, because I dont know about you, but I'd rather at most buy a phone a year and save my money knowing this device I have is the best the company has to offer, and did their very best on it, and to know they will support it for atleast a year or two, not having to keep buying a new phone every 3 months because my device (like the heros, and eris's) will no longer be supported, or only half assed.

So do people think HPalm should focus on 1 device a year, like Apple does, now that WebOS has the fiancial stabilty to do so?
    they should not make a dozen a year but maybe 2 to 3 different styles at best
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I would be happy with 2 or 3 solid designs that come out each year... the reason I say that is because some people want to push to a virtual keyboard only, they can have that one and keep it. I want my physical keyboard... I dont want to be pigeonholed into a virtual keyboard because thats what everyone else wants. That also means one could be larger, the other be smaller like the pre for one handed navigation and ease of use as yes *gasp* a phone first and then a mobile entertainment device.
  4.    #4  
    thats what I think regarding both replys, I think 2 different models a year would be fine. I think HPalm can produce a two type of phones 1 slab like, and one with a physical keyboard, both with similar specs (not like the pixi, pre differences) and support them completely for a year, and every year release a new one (like Apple does). Im say this because I see a huge issue that googles going to run into, even just announced they are disconntinuing the droid, eris, and nexus 1 all three have only been out for about 6 months, all with fragmeneted OS's, and will no longer be supported by Google. There are already reports of customers being upset at that fact, and they very well should be, having to waste money every 3to6 months on a new device by force, not by choice.
    My understanding with Android is that Google provides the OS, but other manufacturers (HTC, Motorola, etc.) produce the phones, a very different business model than HP/Palm and Apple. I agree that HP/Palm would be best suited offering a few models. I would probably go with 2-3 models on two tiers. I would probably have a top/performance tier with a portrait keyboard phone, a landscape keyboard phone and possibly a virtual keyboard phone. I would also have an introductory level with the same basic phones (maybe just a portrait keyboard and a virtual keyboard), but with somewhat less powerful devices. I think the key at this level would be for the devices to be offered free with a contract.

Gargoyle
    Well, the issue is that Google doesn't release *any* phones. Rather, it licenses the OS out and various competing developers (motorola, HTC, Samsung, etc.,) release different phones. In addition, they usually release different phones for different providers, so when you take the number of major manufacturers and multiply by the number of carriers (AND the different market segments), it makes sense why there are so many.

On the other hand, the iPhone is intended to be a one-size fits-all (as long as you are on some lucky GSM carrier in the world) phone.

That being said, I think HPalm could do well with maybe 2-3 different models. However, I'd rather have a unity of platform...
    I agree that a couple of models that get updated each year would be about right.
    I'd prefer 3-4 phones that are updated each 6 months.
    I think they should do four phones a year. Pre, pixie (with better internals and a larger screen), landscape slider, and touchscreen. They shoul release the Pre and touchscreen during the early summer, and the other two in the fall.
    Apple have shown that it's possible to be very successful while releasing just one phone per year. However, that phone needs to be bleeding edge technology. It needs to set the standard for the next year.

The Pre and Pixi didn't achieve this due to the length of time between Palm's announcement and the actual release. By the time they hit the shops, the technology was already surpassed by other phones. The Pre Plus and Pixi Plus helped alleviate this issue, but again they only caught up with the standard, they didn't lead the way.

Personally I think HP/Palm should release one or two phones per year with the best possible underlying technology. WebOS is arguably the best smartphone OS there is at the moment, they should give it the power it deserves.
    3-4 form factors would be good. This would give them the ability to release a new phone every 3-4 months if they refresh each phone at the 1 year old mark.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    absolutely need at least 3. Candy bar (pixie), slider (pre), slab (iphone) plus others if they have the time to build a landscape slider, evo knock-off, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by electronic_chicken View Post
    Apple have shown that it's possible to be very successful while releasing just one phone per year. However, that phone needs to be bleeding edge technology. It needs to set the standard for the next year.

The Pre and Pixi didn't achieve this due to the length of time between Palm's announcement and the actual release. By the time they hit the shops, the technology was already surpassed by other phones. The Pre Plus and Pixi Plus helped alleviate this issue, but again they only caught up with the standard, they didn't lead the way.

Personally I think HP/Palm should release one or two phones per year with the best possible underlying technology. WebOS is arguably the best smartphone OS there is at the moment, they should give it the power it deserves.
    apple have shown that android phones are now outselling iphones, so the premise is flawed...
    Apple is a special case. Their customer base expects only one option in each form factor.

I'd like to see 3 phones and the new tablet all spaced out so we get a new product every 3 months and each product gets updated yearly.

I'd like a fairly large slab that is great for watching entertainment and games released in time for Holiday shopping. A Pixi type released in time for 'Back to School'. Then the verticle slider/Pre factor and the tablet in the other two slots.

I'd like to try out a horizontal slider also. I might like it but would need to try.