Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    We last heard that the big webOS 2.0 update would be in the fall. Fall is less than a month away, beginning in early/mid August. What are your thoughts of a new release of webOS 2.0 next month with a new device? Maybe even the c40? They said fall, but I didn't realize how close fall was until now. Any thoughts?
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Fall might be close, but Palm tends to wait till the last possible day to release updates (think first day of winter). I'm not holding my breath for webOS 2.0, but definately for new devices.
    Bell Pre- running 2.1 @ 800MHz
    Samsung Galaxy Tab (stock)
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TyBec View Post
    Fall might be close, but Palm tends to wait till the last possible day to release updates (think first day of winter). I'm not holding my breath for webOS 2.0, but definately for new devices.
    That is true, but that was really due to their lack of $$$. Since they announced being bought by HP, they have been spending money like crazy. Refunding Developers their fee, discounting all apps in the app catalog, etc. Since they announced the buyout, they probably have been working hard to finish WebOS 2.0. I would assume the end of August, no later than mid September for the release of webOS 2.0.
    Fall begins in September, not August, and extends to December. It starts on 22 September and goes until winter begins on 21 December.

Companies will use the most technical aspects of the calendar to say how they're on schedule. Counting on vague local seasons to figure out when they will be releasing something will only lead to pain.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    I wish fall started in August. It's been hot enough in June and July, and August is typically the hottest month here. But yeah, fall officially starts the end of September. Weather doesn't really reflect the typical fall season until October.

Palm could easily stretch the release out to early December without anyone being able to legitimately complain about them missing the release. Now if we get into the 2nd or 3rd week of December and still no update and they use the excuse that technically it's still fall, then people can start to complain.

My guess would be a late November / early December release. Hopefully corresponding with a new device.
    I think it might be a good idea not to get your hopes up - in terms of developing large scale software (like an operating system) there is an enormous jump between 1.4.5 and 2.0 - let's start with looking forward to 1.5 and a hardware announcement
    I still don't have 1.4.5 here yet!
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Me either. I'm in Texas, too. Who has it already?
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Quote Originally Posted by NINnerd View Post
    Me either. I'm in Texas, too. Who has it already?
    Europe...
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Europe got it first? I thought they released everything on Sprint US first, then Verizon US and ATT US, then the rest of the world.

Hmm.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Doesn't pretty much everyone EXCEPT the US have it right now?
    just remember, 9 women can't make a baby in one month...
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    just remember, 9 women can't make a baby in one month...
    True but it sure makes for an interesting month!
    Quote Originally Posted by twiktor View Post
    True but it sure makes for an interesting month!
    Lmao priceless!
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Palm said webOS 1.5 would be out in the fall not 2.0. Havnt heard anything regarding a release date for 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchris222 View Post
    Lmao priceless!
    the point is that sending a bunch of HP people to Palm won't necessarily move a new version through. HP's job is to fund and advertise like crazy.
    The word was that "a" big update was coming "by fall" - whether or not that's going to be 2.0 right away shouldn't be taken for a certainty.

webOS 2.0 will almost certainly hit alongside new hardware, simply because the marketing impact is much larger than launching them independently.
    Then again, while Palm have definitely had concrete plans and prototypes for new phones for a while now, the question is whether or not they want to make modifications to their specs and/or blueprints now that they have access to HP's patent library as well as the most startling amounts of cash. Like, "did we say we wanted to ship the C40 with an 1GHz OMAP3? Because we're thinking more like dual 1,5GHz OMAP4 now. Thing is, they can only deliver in two months. That would give us time to adjust the innards around the new chip".

Before the takeover, Palm needed to be efficient and try to get the most bang for their buck. Now, Palm only needs to be effective in the short term; this is a strategic investment for HP, and they are well aware that their webOS project is going to lose money for a while before it becomes profitable.
    What they need to do now is to take their time, because no matter how many people "jump ship" from this forum (and keep in mind that tech forum users are self-selected and people 'jumping' to the next shiny gadget after a couple of months are vastly overrepresented here), a well-done product launch for the next phone is what they really need, and the best that they can do is to announce a product that is one or two Android hardware evolution cycle (~3-6 months) ahead of its high-end competition, start selling it immediately and everywhere, and make sure that ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE knows about it, including your grandmother and your pregnant lady neighbor's unborn child.

TL;DR: They're deliberately using their relative obscurity right now as an advantage, and the degree of their secrecy right now is indicative of this - they don't want people to reckon with them. They want people to be flabbergasted to see that device being delivered out of left field by that company. Releasing 2.0 before a new device will not help. And while I would've guessed August/September for a launch date before the merger, I think it might get delayed - because I think they're rather going to use their moneybags to redesign their planned product to not only be competitive but actually have a pronounced edge than to get their planned phone out the door as it is, only sooner.

So if I'm right, the September update might "just" be 1.5 bringing CSS transforms to first-gen webOS products while 2.0 with all the wild stuff like completely rewritten system services and integration of the updated V8 might still be out a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by NINnerd View Post
    Europe got it first? I thought they released everything on Sprint US first, then Verizon US and ATT US, then the rest of the world.

Hmm.
    My understanding is that Palm released to all the carriers simultaneously. It's just that Europe's carriers have rolled out the update whereas the US carriers, for whatever reason, have not.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Now that it has been confirmed that it is indeed webOS 2.0 coming this fall, any more guesses? I still think it will not bee too far off. Labor day weekend anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by shotyme View Post
    Now that it has been confirmed that it is indeed webOS 2.0 coming this fall, any more guesses? I still think it will not bee too far off. Labor day weekend anyone?
    No, Jon said "this year". We may be waiting until December 31st lol.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast