1.    #1  
    Greetings,

I *just* caught up with a friend who works for Voicestream in corp. upper middle management. She informed me that the voicestream GPRS patch for Treo is currently ready, however Handspring will not release GPRS until *all carriers* are also ready. The roll out will be the same day for everyone.

She indicated this to happen in mid-October.

Another two months? Come on, let early adopters beta test for crying out loud.

If anyone wants to contradict this scheduling statement, be my guest. I would like to be wrong.

Best,

Jamey
    There is a saying that goes be careful what you wish far you just might get it. Why would you want to load something to your Treo thats going to crash it every time you use it?
    A recent Wall Street Journal review of the Danger Hiptop said it'd be available from Voicestream (T-Mobile) in October. That device, like the Treo 270, runs on GSM/GPRS. So, maybe it makes sense that October is the release date for GPRS on the 270, too. (Even though Handspring had most recently said by the end of September.)

Now, the real question will be this: Will Voicestream offer an unlimited data plan for the 270, like they apparently will for the Hiptop? If so, this could give the 270 a big advantage over the 300, which has expensive data plans.
    No way am I paying for GPRS under Voicestream's current plans. It's just now worth it. Until Voicestream changes their GPRS pricing plans, I don't really care if/when GPRS comes out.

DougI, what will be the pricing plan for Voicestream unlimited GPRS for the Hiptop?
    According to the WSJ:

With consumers in mind, the monthly fee for the Sidekick will be just $39.99 for unlimited data usage over a high-speed, always-on GPRS network. That's all the Web surfing, e-mail, and instant messaging you want. No separate Internet service is needed. That rate also includes 200 minutes of voice calling using the Sidekick's built-in phone. Those minutes can be used anytime during the week, and long-distance is free. You also get 1,000 free weekend minutes.
    The Danger device originally had an 'all you can eat data' promise but I hear that this is not likely to happen now.

GPRS is also not likely to be financialy viable for many people. In Europe, the uptake is around 10%. It is a luxury for business use rather than a mass market service. Unless VoiceStream come out with some compelling reasons for using GPRS like always-on email that works well, I might try GPRS but will probably stay on CSD.

A little known fact is that the Mobitex network used for most RIM pagers runs at 8400 baud. The GSM CSD network runs faster at 9600 (with a possible but not often implemented max of 14.4k).
    you are correct. I actually heard from top level management that it wont be until December 2002, possibly Jan 2003.

I mentioned this elsewhere on the board and I was agressively attacked and made to feel as though sharing information and beta files was wrong and that I was an interloper.

They all claimed it would be here in May or June. I hate to say I told you so, but I think the release of the beta test made some people feel like it was right around the corner.

THat simply is not the case. If you get it in October, you will be very lucky. The negotiations to put everything in place likely will take longer.

The treo is still a wonderful device that hasn't reached it's potential yet, but hey.. the Danger was supposed to drop in May by press releases (Everyone in the industry knew THAT was a bold face lie.) but it still hasn't come out.

So enjoy your treo, and relax. GPRS won't be here this year. You can live vicariously through the beta testers though.

I-ditate!
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    According to the WSJ:

Me, and everyone else I know would be all over flat rate GPRS data and 200 minutes of voice for $39.99. It's too good to be true.
    So I wonder if corporate voicestream customers can get a beta upgrade? I'd really like to test TreoMail with GPRS so we're ready to roll it out internally once it becomes available.

-- joe

Originally posted by JameyK
    Greetings,

I *just* caught up with a friend who works for Voicestream in corp. upper middle management. She informed me that the voicestream GPRS patch for Treo is currently ready, however Handspring will not release GPRS until *all carriers* are also ready. The roll out will be the same day for everyone.

She indicated this to happen in mid-October.

Another two months? Come on, let early adopters beta test for crying out loud.

If anyone wants to contradict this scheduling statement, be my guest. I would like to be wrong.

Best,

Jamey