1.    #1  
    Hi,

I've been playing with an HP laptop (not a netbook), specifically, an HP Pavilion dm4-1060us. If you want to use it, it offers an near-instant-on "OS" that allows playing music, viewing photos, checking webmail, browsing the web, and maybe a couple of other things. So you can do all that without booting into Windows.

Others have mentioned the possibility of HP offering WebOS as a dual-boot alternative, and it sounds great, with imagined integration of their recently purchased instant-on Linux company.

But what I was left wondering about was how to do WebOS well without a touchscreen, let alone a gesture area. Were people imagining that they'd use the touchpad as a kind of substitute touchscreen/gesture area? or just use the touchpad-controlled on-screen pointer?

But *then*, I was playing with the laptop configurator on HP's site, and saw that, for screens, they offered a +$25 option of a touchscreen to replace their standard screen.

...and *there's* the magic, right?!

And while in the Pavilion DM-series' case, the touchscreen'd still have a keyboard attached and possibly in the way, that could be super cool...a dual-boot WebOS and Windows notebook where the screen is a touchscreen...and at only a $25 additional cost?! Nice.

Not reporting anything based on rumor or anything else...I'm just speculating here based on what could be put together given two recent HP purchases and existing HP laptop configuration options... (the touchscreen option was new to me)
    With the current webOS boot times, I kinda doubt it. And you would have to make webOS work well with mouse and keyboard, or else every laptop will need a touchscreen to use webOS effectively.

But it's an interesting idea nonetheless.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    +1, there is a thread around here where someone has webOS running on a PC. Does anyone remember what the boot time is for that? The OP is talking about something close to "instant on" and webOS would have to be just as fast or no one would want it.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    I don't see webOS going on laptops as much as their all-in-one touchscreen devices. I don't think boot times is the issue as much as it is that the webOS UI is designed as a touch interface.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I don't see webOS going on laptops as much as their all-in-one touchscreen devices. I don't think boot times is the issue as much as it is that the webOS UI is designed as a touch interface.
    But that's the cool thing that I didn't know--that, in HP's configuration options, at least for the dm4 line, you can choose the standard screen, or *you can choose a touchscreen*...which, I suppose they could offer WebOS contingent upon choosing the touchscreen...
    That's a great point, and indeed I think it's one of the primary reasons HP bought webOS: because they own it, they can put it on anything (and develop it accordingly) without paying anyone any licensing fees. And, given HP's scale and supply chain, they could work in a touch screen as a default option and have very little impact on their bottom line. Their cost for it is probably closer to $5, and they could easily tack that onto the price or find somewhere else to cut it.

I'll bet that once webOS boots quicker (and yes, I'm guessing that's why they bought that quick boot technology), we'll see all HP laptops offering touch screens for free or very low cost and they'll all have webOS as a dual-boot option.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    given HP's scale and supply chain, they could work in a touch screen as a default option and have very little impact on their bottom line. Their cost for it is probably closer to $5, and they could easily tack that onto the price or find somewhere else to cut it.

I'll bet that once webOS boots quicker (and yes, I'm guessing that's why they bought that quick boot technology), we'll see all HP laptops offering touch screens for free or very low cost and they'll all have webOS as a dual-boot option.
    Quoted for truth. I actually suspect that HP is going to go all-touchscreen in the foreseeable future; they have gorgeous touchscreen desktops already, and wouldn't you admit that the idea of switching on your PC and having webOS pop up INSTANTLY so you can check some websites or do miscellaneous webOSy stuff while Windows boots up in the background and then just switching over whenever you need it (and not whenever you don't) sounds quite appealing?

Just how many flies could HP swat with one fell swoop?
    1) Boosting webOS user numbers by including webOS on pretty much everything that HP sells
    2) Differentiating HP products from competitors with an in-house OS that's the first thing you see when switching on your computer while enabling you to go to Windows (and back) from there
    3) Introducing synergistic mindshare and marketing effects - webOS is going to become a household name rather quickly if every HP device sold comes with it. An announcement like that is also going to be momentous enough to warrant media coverage; that is, technology papers and/or blogs are going to be all over it, and normal papers might even dedicate a quarter or an eighth of a page to take note of it.

Of course there won't ever be months worth of in-depth coverage of webOS rumors and baseless speculation published in the mainstream media, as witnessed in the time between October 2009 and the iPad launch, but I think since Apple is a rather self-aggrandizing, pretentious company taking great pride in its 'innovative' 'creativity', their wavelength simply harmonizes with that of artists, designers, writers, journalists and other types of intellectuals that can be characterized as being rather self-aggrandizing, pretentious groups taking great pride in their 'innovative' 'creativity', and these people end up having a pretty good chance buying a product from a company that they identify with on a very visceral level. "Think Different" indeed.

If you're a Mac, it's natural that you should want to stay in your ecosystem and get an, err, MacPhone. If you're a PC, and your PC has that awesome webOS that's instantly on and you actually don't switch into Windows all that often anymore, you're gonna want that awesome webOS on your phone as well. Especially if all your webOS devices are synching with the in-house webOS cloud that HP is busy buying together (first the music streaming service, now that picture sharing one).
    Create a ppt presentation on HP's surely forthcoming editing suite on your home webOS PC, save it, don't do squat, go to work, pull out your Palm phone, and it's right there. Open your music app and there's your entire music library as it is on your harddrive at home, and you have direct access even if your PC is actually off. Shoot pictures with your phone, go home, switch on your PC, tap the "photos" app in webOS while the little loading circle in the corner indicates Windows is booting, and start looking at / editing them right away.

The future is so bright in webOS land, and the present so dark, that, effectively, I wear my sunglasses at night so I can, so I can see the light that's right before my eyes

I fully expect other PC manufacturers to attempt something similar with Android, and Apple is probably going to do the very same thing too, after a while, BUT: HP's webOS products are vertically integrated where Android products are not while Apple won't be able to reach the same synergy for their sheer lack of numbers in the desktop space. And it's going to be much easier for HP to catch up in a mobile market that's only now appreciably expanding than for Apple to expand their market share in a saturated segment.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 07/18/2010 at 01:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Quoted for truth. I actually suspect that HP is going to go all-touchscreen in the foreseeable future; they have gorgeous touchscreen desktops already, and wouldn't you admit that the idea of switching on your PC and having webOS pop up INSTANTLY so you can check some websites or do miscellaneous webOSy stuff while Windows boots up in the background and then just switching over whenever you need it (and not whenever you don't) sounds quite appealing?

Just how many flies could HP swat with one fell swoop?
    1) Boosting webOS user numbers by including webOS on pretty much everything that HP sells
    2) Differentiating HP products from competitors with an in-house OS that's the first thing you see when switching on your computer while enabling you to go to Windows (and back) from there
    3) Introducing synergistic mindshare and marketing effects - webOS is going to become a household name rather quickly if every HP device sold comes with it. An announcement like that is also going to be momentous enough to warrant media coverage; that is, technology papers and/or blogs are going to be all over it, and normal papers might even dedicate a quarter or an eighth of a page to take note of it.

Of course there won't ever be months worth of in-depth coverage of webOS rumors and baseless speculation published in the mainstream media, as witnessed in the time between October 2009 and the iPad launch, but I think since Apple is a rather self-aggrandizing, pretentious company taking great pride in its 'innovative' 'creativity', their wavelength simply harmonizes with that of artists, designers, writers, journalists and other types of intellectuals that can be characterized as being rather self-aggrandizing, pretentious groups taking great pride in their 'innovative' 'creativity', and these people end up having a pretty good chance buying a product from a company that they identify with on a very visceral level. "Think Different" indeed.

If you're a Mac, it's natural that you should want to stay in your ecosystem and get an, err, MacPhone. If you're a PC, and your PC has that awesome webOS that's instantly on and you actually don't switch into Windows all that often anymore, you're gonna want that awesome webOS on your phone as well. Especially if all your webOS devices are synching with the in-house webOS cloud that HP is busy buying together (first the music streaming service, now that picture sharing one).
    Create a ppt presentation on HP's surely forthcoming editing suite on your home webOS PC, save it, don't do squat, go to work, pull out your Palm phone, and it's right there. Open your music app and there's your entire music library as it is on your harddrive at home, and you have direct access even if your PC is actually off. Shoot pictures with your phone, go home, switch on your PC, tap the "photos" app in webOS while the little loading circle in the corner indicates Windows is booting, and start looking at / editing them right away.

The future is so bright in webOS land, and the present so dark, that, effectively, I wear my sunglasses at night so I can, so I can see the light that's right before my eyes

I fully expect other PC manufacturers to attempt something similar with Android, and Apple is probably going to do the very same thing too, after a while, BUT: HP's webOS products are vertically integrated where Android products are not while Apple won't be able to reach the same synergy for their sheer lack of numbers in the desktop space. And it's going to be much easier for HP to catch up in a mobile market that's only now appreciably expanding than for Apple to expand their market share in a saturated segment.
    very well stated! That is the best breakdown of HP webOS potential I have read.
    Palm's future is bright.... They should market Palm sunglass giveaway to encourage consumers to test drive new products ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    Hi,

I've been playing with an HP laptop (not a netbook), specifically, an HP Pavilion dm4-1060us. If you want to use it, it offers an near-instant-on "OS" that allows playing music, viewing photos, checking webmail, browsing the web, and maybe a couple of other things. So you can do all that without booting into Windows.

Others have mentioned the possibility of HP offering WebOS as a dual-boot alternative, and it sounds great, with imagined integration of their recently purchased instant-on Linux company.

But what I was left wondering about was how to do WebOS well without a touchscreen, let alone a gesture area. Were people imagining that they'd use the touchpad as a kind of substitute touchscreen/gesture area? or just use the touchpad-controlled on-screen pointer?

But *then*, I was playing with the laptop configurator on HP's site, and saw that, for screens, they offered a +$25 option of a touchscreen to replace their standard screen.

...and *there's* the magic, right?!

And while in the Pavilion DM-series' case, the touchscreen'd still have a keyboard attached and possibly in the way, that could be super cool...a dual-boot WebOS and Windows notebook where the screen is a touchscreen...and at only a $25 additional cost?! Nice.

Not reporting anything based on rumor or anything else...I'm just speculating here based on what could be put together given two recent HP purchases and existing HP laptop configuration options... (the touchscreen option was new to me)
    I think the Palm Pad, or whatever it be named, will do that...and replace laptops at some time. I mean, the tablet concept is really cool.
    I absolutely think we can count on the people of HP working on this, and planning on eventually making it happen.

they acquired that instant on technology recently as well.

personally a dual-boot netbook with removable palmpad screen sounds just about perfect for my needs.
  11.    #11  
    Hmmmm...Apple may be onto the same idea:
    iOS: Coming soon to Mac OS 11? | ZDNet