Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am a loyal Palm user dating back to my first Palm III. I was hooked. I graduated to the m100 followed by a snazzy Tungsten T. I was standing at the door the day Treos went on sale. And, I was there for day one of the Centro and the Pre. I actually bought the Pre on day one while visiting a friend in San Francisco. John Rubenstein was at the Sprint store where I bought it - he even admired the wear and tear on my beloved Centro! I love these products! They are durable (I'm a bit of a klutz), easy to use, innovative...

I'm constantly asked when I'm going to move to an iPhone (to go with my Mac book, iPod, and iPad) and my answer is always the same: I love Palm, I'm loyal to Palm, and I'd break an iPhone on my first day!

The problem is that I'm beginning to feel deserted. I held on during the eons that passed between the Pre intro and its much anticipated release. I bit my tongue and kept a smile on my face while waiting for improved battery updates and a fix to the ridiculous memory issues that kept me from keeping more than just a few apps on my phone at once. I didn't jump ship for months and months waiting for apps to come to the store. I am still holding out for Flash support (despite "early 2010" being long gone and Android showing off its Flash).

The way I see it is that either Palm needs a new PRPRPR $person$ $or$ $they$'$ve$ $put$ $the$ $Pre$ $in$ $the$ $closet$ $and$ $I$ $might$ $as$ $well$ $give$ $up$!

Why isn't Sprint getting an updated Pre Plus and another carrier did?
    Why is there no news of an updated phone or a new update to WebOS?
    When is Palm going to get its name out there? Why is the new tag line always "Apps available on iPhone and Android devices.?" Where's Palm?
    Where are the accessories for my phone? Doesn't Palm have those original Apple guys who started the synergy type "i...whatever" craze?
    Where is Flash?
    Does anyone at Palm care that a loyal customer like myself (not a big techie, just a mid-30s professional who has convinced several friends to become Pre owners) is feeling neglected by Palm and is finding herself drawn to the shiny EVO display that has taken Pre's place in the Sprint store? Even Sprint seems to have moved on to greener pastures!

Obviously, I'm not a tech expert or a PRPRPR $person$. $However$, $I$ $am$ $a$ $consumer$ $and$ $I$ $do$ $keep$ $up$ $to$ $date$. $I$ $want$ $to$ $stick$ $with$ $Palm$. $I$ $really$ $want$ $to$. $But$ $I$ $need$ $some$ $hope$...$a$ $glimmer$ $that$ $I$'$m$ $not$ $forgotten$, $a$ $tease$ $of$ $new$ $things$ $to$ $come$ $if$ $I$ $stick$ $with$ $it$...$something$, $anything$...
    All good comes to those who are patient...
    Nice letter, but don't expect one back, half as nice.
    Loyalty is a bit of a one way street in Villa Palmera. A dead end street.
    A cul-de-sac so to say. Or speaking Pre: a cul-de-suckers.
    great first post!!...oh well im sorry to say that you have been forgotten!....hp and palm will never ever ever ever ever ever ever release another phone....or even announce a device...

im so sorry but its all over.... you can give up on palm now....dont get emotional, k?

(sarcasm)
    Last edited by dj ozone; 07/16/2010 at 09:57 AM. Reason: ppl didnt get the sarcasm
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    great first post!!...oh well im sorry to say that you have been forgotten!....hp and palm will never ever ever ever ever ever ever release another phone....or even announce a device...

im so sorry but its all over.... you can give up on palm now....dont get emotional, k?
    And you know that how exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    And you know that how exactly?
    I think he's being sarcastic. (I hope!)
    Palm is no longer one of the cool kids. It looked like we might be at one point but cachet meter is nearing zero. That makes the fans like me feel like the weird kid that no one ever talks to.

I feel your pain. I see a bright future but the wait is hurting the brand.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwag6 View Post
    I am a loyal Palm user dating back to my first Palm III....
    Unfortunately, much of your letter is addressed to the wrong company(ies), and part of it is ignoring reality.

Adobe controls when Flash will be released, not Palm. Same thing with apps, you should get together with your friends that you convinced to buy Pres, and encourage those that write apps you like to produce them for the Pre. That won't likely work either, but it stands a better chance than your letter.

As to what's new/coming up, you're aware, aren't you, that Palm just this month was bought out by HP. Reorganization takes a bit of time. We gotta give them more than 2-3 weeks.
    I wonder how long the OP was at his current employer before they expected him to reinvent himself and the job he is doing...

Let's let the HP signatures dry, and let's give them a bit of time to execute the plans they have certainly been working on. Believe it or not, they are working hard, and their top priority isn't to make sure they hit a particular forum or meet a particular users timeline.

We are all anxiously waiting because it could be very exciting. But I'm not losing sleep until we know something...

Remember... a watched kettle never boils.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Whose decision was it for Sprint not to get the Pre Plus? Palm's or Sprint's?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    ^^ That's something I've always wondered, too. My guess is Sprint got the "lowlier" version for the up-front exclusivity, and likely was supposed to get the Plus later on...until sales stalled. Then, perhaps, Sprint refused it. I don't know. But I do think the Pre would get much more interesting on Sprint if they officially enabled the Wifi hotspot like they've done on the EVO 4G.
    I still think that Sprint could be planning to get the plus, unless they are so far along on the next generation that it makes it impractical. Sprint knows that there is a measurable portion of their base that is loyal to sprint and would also buy the Plus. If that gets them to renew a contract or to continue as a loyal customer, there is no downside to launching th epre plus...

It seems that the vast majority of precentral members are sprint users (for obvious reasons) and I'm sure there is a sizable group that would grab the plus if Sprint offered it.

I know I paid full price for several Palm phones that came out between contract dates. I think I did that at least three times over the years.

Reserve yours today!
    I can see the Pre and Pixi getting EOL'd and the Plus versions replacing them as entry webOS 3G devices *when* the next webOS version after 1.4.5 is released. This is the version that will have the faster webOS DB back-end, new APIs and hardware accelerated UI. If the rumors of a 4G device are true, then Sprint will want to consider a 3G-only device in the Pre/Pixi Plus. Not everyone want to shell-out the premium data cost for 4G capable device.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Whose decision was it for Sprint not to get the Pre Plus? Palm's or Sprint's?
    I don't think any of us will know for sure, but here's my guess.

Sprint ordered lots of phones up front (they were probably required to for the exclusivity), and then sold less than they anticipated.

In the meantime, Palm saw the issues that folks had with the Pre, so they beefed the memory, beefed the storage, did away with the mechanical button, and imprvoed the keyboard.

I suspect they and Sprint couldn't reach a satisfactory (for both) compromise on Sprint's existing stock, so Sprint said "We'll exhaust what we've got".

Would would have been a disaster for Sprint was to try to sell both. They had to get something for their existing inventory, and (especially with the Evo coming out), I suspect they felt selling through was their best option.
    I, too, feel suckered by Palm. When I buy a phone, I want to feel bad about it when the company releases a new model three months later and not just be stuck with still-current hardware as long as a year later.

What is this, Palm? You're not making our devices obsolete quickly enough!
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I, too, feel suckered by Palm. When I buy a phone, I want to feel bad about it when the company releases a new model three months later and not just be stuck with still-current hardware as long as a year later.

What is this, Palm? You're not making our devices obsolete quickly enough!
    You shouldn't feel suckered by Palm any more than the original iPhone users did when the iPhone 3G came out. Models always are replaced with better models. Early adopters generally want to upgrade to the improved models when they can.

Just look at the history of the iPod... more features at the same or lower price, every year.

Reserve yours today!
    Great letter and I couldn't agree more. The original Sprint Pre buyers are the ONLY reason Palm is even still in the game at all. As soon as they realized that they had saddled us with a poorly built, problem ridden product, they kinda swept us under the rug and hoped we'd just go away. Getting the Pre Plus to Sprint could have gone a long way in calming down thousands of pretty ****ed off Pre owners. But instead, they crapped on us by sending it to a carrier that releases a new phone like every 5 minutes.
    HTC should send Palm a commission check for being the single biggest reason that the EVO has been such a huge success.
    That EVO is looking better and better by the minute!
    The Saint
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

Would would have been a disaster for Sprint was to try to sell both. They had to get something for their existing inventory, and (especially with the Evo coming out), I suspect they felt selling through was their best option.
    Would have been nice to at least have given the option for anyone who wanted the plus to be able to pay extra $ to upgrade, if they so desired.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I agree totally. The ****** answer to everything is, "Just wait for X, because X does not happen overnight." Be it flash, apps, battery life, new hardware, lag, os updates, bug fixes. It does not matter what the excuse is for the shortcomings of the pre or webOS because they are being trampled by the competition at an ever increasing rate. The next hardware/webos release must be even bigger than the shock and awe that the pre was a year and a half ago or palm products will completely spiral into obscurity. The failure of palm as an independent company and the loss of key talent proves the spiral is in full swing. I sincererely hope the next hardware/os update come out before it is too late and that it is a total smash. If these two things are not satisfied then palm smartphones will have ZERO app support or catalog expansion and will be the end of the platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34608 View Post
    I agree totally. The ****** answer to everything is, "Just wait for X, because X does not happen overnight." Be it flash, apps, battery life, new hardware, lag, os updates, bug fixes. It does not matter what the excuse is for the shortcomings of the pre or webOS because they are being trampled by the competition at an ever increasing rate. The next hardware/webos release must be even bigger than the shock and awe that the pre was a year and a half ago or palm products will completely spiral into obscurity. The failure of palm as an independent company and the loss of key talent proves the spiral is in full swing. I sincererely hope the next hardware/os update come out before it is too late and that it is a total smash. If these two things are not satisfied then palm smartphones will have ZERO app support or catalog expansion and will be the end of the platform.
    wow people are still predicting the death of palm!!
    the reason why i say patience is the answer is because patience is the answer... some things take time like maturity, wine, cornfields.... plant a seed, nuture it, and watch it grow thats what palm is doing right now if you dont get that then oh well....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast