Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    With no new phone announced by Palm, it's not particularly surprising.
    Its not zero , there are alot of people on here who will buy one but its probally pretty low and maybe low enough that they just put zero. Palm market share has dropped to below 5% in May 2010 and it will probally be 2-3% come the next quarters numbers. Just awful. Hp had a nice opportunity right now. Iphone is getting a nice backlash and people are looking at alternatives and phones like the EVo and other Android phones are sold out for weeks. This would have been the perfect time for a new HP phone to fill that gap. Android phones will probally benefit but HP could really have made some extra sales and news.
    people that answered were a seld selecting group. The current profile for a prospective pre buyer is probably not the same demographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    people that answered were a seld selecting group. The current profile for a prospective pre buyer is probably not the same demographic.
    I disagree completely. The survey is an unsurprising indication of a general lack of interest in the WebOS platform. HP has a lot of work to do.

OTOH the RIM numbers don't look very good either.
    So, you're surprised that no one is planning on buying a completely unannounced phone, for which users have no real idea of what the specs are, what proc it's going to run, even what it's going to look like, and no real idea of the release date.

This really surprises you???

If such a poll had been run in Dec of '08, you can be the result would have been similar. Then Palm announced the Pre. That got attention.

When Palm announces the new device, assuming there is one, the results for such a poll will change.
    Unless Palm announces a new phone soon, I'm getting the new Samsung Epic (Galaxy Pro) when it comes out. Don't get me wrong, I love my Pre, but it's time for a new phone. I mean, I've had this one more than a year. That's some sort of record....for me anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    So, you're surprised that no one is planning on buying a completely unannounced phone, for which users have no real idea of what the specs are, what proc it's going to run, even what it's going to look like, and no real idea of the release date.

When Palm announces the new device, assuming there is one, the results for such a poll will change.
    Palm/HP does still sell a couple of WebOS phones and the next WebOS device released might be a tablet, not a phone.
    delayed gratification is a character trait worthy of pursuit. Generally lacking in our citizenry.
    wow palm is the worst !!!
    I didn't want an iPod until it was announced.... what does that tell you?
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

what this tells us is that palm currently has almost no mind share. Sure there is no upcoming product, but there is also no anticipation for one outside of the diehard fans. That is bad.
    Neither on March or June were palm Phone soon to be released. But in June the iPhone 4 was announced and HTC EVO was released. That's why the interest on iPhones and HTCs grew while the other companies decreased. If you made the same survey when Palm Plus phones were going to be released on Verizon or when the Droid was going to be released, the numbers would be really different.
    Last edited by alvaro_qc; 07/15/2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: typo
    It looks about as I'd expect. I love my phone but I'm not encouraging anyone to buy one. The are too old.

It is interesting that they didn't even mention Microsoft, not that they would register above zero either. I never expected Microsoft to basically drop out off the phone market.
    Last edited by SFHandyman; 07/15/2010 at 04:49 PM.
    Microsoft doesn't make phones. HTC/Samsung/HP etc do.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....34droidn23.jpg

I wonder what part of Rubinstein's roadmap this is. Maybe this is why you should release a new phone once a year whether or not you have sold the previous inventory. It's not as if people will buy up your inventory just because you don't announce anything new.
    It may have more to do with a lack of money for R&D.
    I think the HP's all-promises-no-product policy thus far has been depressing, but I wonder if something else is also afoot here.

Maybe HP cannot launch a new phone with any carrier right now.

On the Supply end, it seems like a lot of phone OEMs are getting tapped out of various screens and smaller components that are making it hard for even heavy hitters like HTC to keep up adequate inventory on a smaller carrier like Sprint. It may or may not be possible to get the sort of stock together needed for a proper launch.

On the Demand end, what carrier - even including Sprint - is spoiling for a Palm handset right now? Verizon's locked up for the foreseeable future with the Galaxy S and Droid X and Droid 2. Sprint is also launching the Epic 4G and an HTC Windows Phone 7 device in the fall. T-Mobile is Palm free, but has some big Android launches coming up anyway. AT&T is still trying to sell off Pre and Pixi Pluses, and they're set with iPhone 4, Galaxy S, and various Windows Phone 7 handsets for the rest of the year.

Until these conditions change, I don't see HP breaking the silence.
    Quote Originally Posted by SFHandyman View Post
    It looks about as I'd expect. I love my phone but I'm not encouraging anyone to buy one. The are too old.

It is interesting that they didn't even mention Microsoft, not that they would register above zero either. I never expected Microsoft to basically drop out of the phone market.
    Really, I tell people all the time to buy the Pre. Of course the difrence is, now no one is listening. Palm has hit bottom again. Come on HP, do somthing.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Microsoft doesn't make phones. HTC/Samsung/HP etc do.
    Oh, right. It is manufacturers. I stand corrected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babadi View Post
    what this tells us is that palm currently has almost no mind share. Sure there is no upcoming product, but there is also no anticipation for one outside of the diehard fans. That is bad.
    But you also have to recall this survey asked the question "What will you buy in the next 90 days?" The Pre is pretty much out of the news... I dont remember the last time I saw a billboard or commercial for it... so really, why WOULD the people planning to buy a smartphone in the next few months be thinking of something that isnt being pushed in their face? The pre is old news... and webOS is nothing but shadows and dust until something is announced.

"Mind share" is a very current thing... the mindless masses, the sheep that are the consumer population of the world have a memory span of 20 seconds, like a goldfish. If you want them to remember your phone long enough to make it from their tv to their local dealer, you gotta have a billboard on the way... then a sign outside the store... then an associate behind the desk with the moxy to mention it to them. Otherwise... they are most often going to go with the thing theyve seen the most of, thats the power of exposure.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast