Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    But you also have to recall this survey asked the question "What will you buy in the next 90 days?" The Pre is pretty much out of the news... I dont remember the last time I saw a billboard or commercial for it... so really, why WOULD the people planning to buy a smartphone in the next few months be thinking of something that isnt being pushed in their face? The pre is old news... and webOS is nothing but shadows and dust until something is announced.

    "Mind share" is a very current thing... the mindless masses, the sheep that are the consumer population of the world have a memory span of 20 seconds, like a goldfish. If you want them to remember your phone long enough to make it from their tv to their local dealer, you gotta have a billboard on the way... then a sign outside the store... then an associate behind the desk with the moxy to mention it to them. Otherwise... they are most often going to go with the thing theyve seen the most of, thats the power of exposure.
    You have some good points and I would agree with you completely if Palm hadn't scored a 0. Apple would do just fine on that chart if the poll was 6 months after Iphone4 and 6 months away from Iphone5. HTC.... well they release something every week, so we'll never know, but I guarantee they would have respectable score. Same with Motorola, the Droid made an impact and people will buy them.

    Palm didn't make much of an impact with the Pre and by not announcing anything regarding a new flagship they have lost any mind share they once had. Literally the only reason I haven't jumped ship is that I'm praying HP knows this. It can't get worse, so they are taking their time to develop the very best phone on the market when it's released. Something with a breathtaking design and specs better than, not equal to, anything else on the market on it's launch day. Follow that up with a marketing blitz showcasing the new phone, and a separate (but simultaneous) blitz relaunching WebOS as the centerpiece of your connected life. That's what Palm needs right now. They can't misfire again.
  2. #22  
    On a more positive note, Palms satisfaction numbers are pretty impressive for a phone known for shoddy build quality. Goes to show that people who do actually use one like WebOS. The apple numbers on that chart just make me laugh. Apple fans truly do just blindly love apple. Although it will be interesting to see how those numbers change in the wake of this iphone4 antennae mess.
  3. #23  
    And how many people "on the street" would even know that Palm had a phone available. Bring on HP's marketing dollars.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Babadi View Post
    You have some good points and I would agree with you completely if Palm hadn't scored a 0. Apple would do just fine on that chart if the poll was 6 months after Iphone4 and 6 months away from Iphone5. HTC.... well they release something every week, so we'll never know, but I guarantee they would have respectable score. Same with Motorola, the Droid made an impact and people will buy them.

    Palm didn't make much of an impact with the Pre and by not announcing anything regarding a new flagship they have lost any mind share they once had. Literally the only reason I haven't jumped ship is that I'm praying HP knows this. It can't get worse, so they are taking their time to develop the very best phone on the market when it's released. Something with a breathtaking design and specs better than, not equal to, anything else on the market on it's launch day. Follow that up with a marketing blitz showcasing the new phone, and a separate (but simultaneous) blitz relaunching WebOS as the centerpiece of your connected life. That's what Palm needs right now. They can't misfire again.
    Lets put it in perspective though... the Pre is a first generation phone... it doesnt have a predecessor... and like you said it didnt make much of a splash... plus there wasnt much from palm for a while before the pre that made much of a truly public splash.

    The first iPhone on the other hand had integration with other devices that were getting huge... people love integration... they want everything to work and talk together so they dont have to spend time moving their music or movies and whatnot around when they could be getting out and doing what they do.

    Either way... Apple makes sure to stay in the news, stay in the public eye... continue to be right up in peoples faces as much as possible even when they dont have anything new. Palm hasnt done that.

    In some ways we are making the same point... but consider this... the first android phone wasnt all that hot... the first iphone was because it was something new and had other devices supporting its buoyancy right off the bat. I dont even remember the first HTC phone... but theve never really pioneered anyhting, the just stay right on the bleeding edge of hardware and throw on some splashy skins to other peoples os's... you cant really screw that up ya know?
  5. Dazo's Avatar
    Posts
    125 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #25  
    Basically the point of the article, stating that Palm is pretty much irrelevant in the smartphone world to the avg (and numerous) customer... Can't fully blame the customer tho.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ...
    On the Demand end, what carrier - even including Sprint - is spoiling for a Palm handset right now? Verizon's locked up for the foreseeable future with the Galaxy S and Droid X and Droid 2. Sprint is also launching the Epic 4G and an HTC Windows Phone 7 device in the fall. T-Mobile is Palm free, but has some big Android launches coming up anyway. AT&T is still trying to sell off Pre and Pixi Pluses, and they're set with iPhone 4, Galaxy S, and various Windows Phone 7 handsets for the rest of the year.

    Until these conditions change, I don't see HP breaking the silence.
    It doesn't really matter what phones a carrier has right now, if/when a new phone is released (by anyone) that will cause folks to renew contracts, carriers will buy them. It's that simple.
  7. rfceo's Avatar
    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    #27  
    Not really a fair survey. Would you in the next 90 days buy a phone that is basically year old technology or the latest technology. This will all change when HP/Palm introduce the next products in the line. It all comes down to how you market a product. Put out a good solid state of the art device (no antenna problems, or other hardware issues) market it right and the survey will tell a totally different story.
  8. #28  
    I wonder when Hpalm does come out with their line of new products, will the public love them, or hate them. Lets wait to see.
  9. #29  
    The survey is perfectly fair and provides an accurate survey of the current smartphone landscape.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34608 View Post
    The survey is perfectly fair and provides an accurate survey of the current smartphone landscape.
    I've got to agree. As much as we love WebOS, we are atypical. Most folks in the smartphone market want an iPhone at the moment, with a somewhat smaller percentage of (more discerning?) folks considering Android-based handsets...either because of device hardware, its more open nature, or carriers.

    Even if Palm gets a killer new handset out, the tide is going to be tough to turn at this point. Developers are tripping over themselves to support Android and the iPhone. Not so much WebOS...and that can lead to a vicious downward spiral. This is not the old phone market. Apps rule. New hardware buys you several weeks of enthusiasm. That's about it...and we aren't even seeing that at the moment.

    Oh well, I still have 11 months on my contract, so I'm not going anywhere.

    cheers,
    Scuba
    Last edited by scuba_steve; 07/19/2010 at 01:04 PM.
  11. #31  
    100% agree. This forum is atypical of the users I know. 100% to the person Apps rule over everything for my friends and aquaintinces. None care about mutlitaking or if its got flash. etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    I've got to agree. As much as we love WebOS, we are atypical. Most folks in the smartphone market want an iPhone at the moment, with a somewhat smaller percentage of (more discerning?) folks considering Android-based handsets...either because of device hardware, it's more open nature, or carriers.

    Even if Palm gets a killer new handset out, the tide is going to be tough to turn at this point. Developers are tripping over themselves to support Android and the iPhone. Not so much WebOS...and that can lead to a vicious downward spiral. This is not the old phone market. Apps rule. New hardware buys you several weeks of enthusiasm. That's about it...and we aren't even seeing that at the moment.

    Oh well, I still have 11 months on my contract, so I'm not going anywhere.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Babadi View Post
    ...

    It can't get worse, so they are taking their time to develop the very best phone on the market when it's released. Something with a breathtaking design and specs better than, not equal to, anything else on the market on it's launch day. Follow that up with a marketing blitz showcasing the new phone, and a separate (but simultaneous) blitz relaunching WebOS as the centerpiece of your connected life. That's what Palm needs right now. They can't misfire again.
    If you are banking on them releasing "the very best phone on the market", and thinking that a "misfire" will ruin them, I think you're in for some disappointments.

    "The very best phone on the market" is too subjective, and HP is too new at what they're doing in that arena to fulfill such a hope.

    However, I believe they will have a very substantial offering, and the money to make it succeed.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    However, I believe they will have a very substantial offering, and the money to make it succeed.
    They will need more than money, they need customers.
  14. dtreo's Avatar
    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    I wonder when Hpalm does come out with their line of new products, will the public love them, or hate them. Lets wait to see.

    It really depends on how evenly the toast gets done...

    You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    It doesn't really matter what phones a carrier has right now, if/when a new phone is released (by anyone) that will cause folks to renew contracts, carriers will buy them. It's that simple.
    Given the Pre and Pixi sales thus far, that only feeds into my theory of why HPalm has nothing immediate planned. If I were in their shoes, I'd probably take my sweet time too.
  16. PreBro132's Avatar
    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    #36  
    If you look closely at the bottom of a pile of crap...you'll find the Pre, nestled comfortably.
  17. #37  
    Ok so you are all going to hate what I am about to say so you should probably just skip over it or say how I have very very few posts.

    As a former Treo lover I was very excited when the Palm Pre Plus came to ATT. In fact I was going to change to sprint but my daughter had the Iphone and convinced me not to make the move.
    After I dropped my trusty and perfect Treo I lost my mind and bought a LG incite (crap) I hated it immediatly and switched to the Blackberry Bold 9700 out of contract, it wasnt bad but when my contract came up to purchase a new phone I jumped at the Palm Pre Plus. Touch screen and pull out key board with all my old Treo features...Only it wasnt as good. The battery is worse the reception is low and I had to homebrew the crap out of it in the last couple of days to get it even close to what I wanted. So after much debate and a heavy heart I am going to get an Iphone 4.

    I figure its better to go with the Iphone before my 30 days comes up and I'm stuck with a pre that will only sell for $109 or get the Iphone which will resell for over $400. I hope I dont hate it, but I can't find a reason to stay other than the fact that I've always hated the idea of the Iphone....And yeah I know there is the reception problem, but I always use a case and if I get it now the case will be free...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions