1.    #1  
    just a thought.....
    besides the fact that palm HP finalization has only recently happened....
    what else could be causing them to hold off on release?
    looks like Palm has been pushing app development hard for months now. With the 50% off apps sale,PDK hot apps, waiving of fee to join dev center and the waiver of fee to submit apps.
    they could have a phone ready... But may want to build up apps catlog before releasing next phone. The phone could be a beast.... And blow everyone away... But the haters will grasp at anything to knock it.... And a weak app catalog will be the biigest complaint. They need to bef it up and get some great apps, games in there... Before they announce a release. My thoughts...
    lots of people are complaining and speculating on delay of new phone. HP Palm has to make this release successful... And that takes more apps in the catalog.
    How long has the pre plus been on AT&T? I think they may want to sell a few more devices there before announcing new hardware. They may be planning devices on all carriers at once and dont want to cut into some pre plus sales. From the few clues that have been left around, this fall is when we should see new hardware and webOS. They dont want to cut down on existing sales with something in the future.
    I am no longer a part of the Pre Central Community.
  3.    #3  
    I personally do not need more apps in the catalog to see a new phone launched... but the sheep are being sold on it.

There is no way Palm can catch up to android or obviously Ios by launch of next phone. I wonder what would be a realistic amount that needs to be reached to be able to market the phone effectively ... 10K ?
    I would like to see Palm focus on apps needed as opposed to trying to compete in the total # of apps race. It would be interesting to see them focus on avg amnt of apps used by a smartphone user... and what % of apps are games, utilities. etc.
    example - If they can advertise that the avg user buys 150 apps in the course of 2 yrs... and promote some really hi end games , apps etc... that may be an effective way of chipping into the mentality of More apps = better. More choices are better, no doubt, but to show enough quality apps already existing, with an app catalog that will continue to grow with HP support.... could be effective.
    I'm guessing they aren't 'waiting' for anything and are moving as fast as they can...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I'm guessing they aren't 'waiting' for anything and are moving as fast as they can...
    I hope so...
    All of the droid app billboards and comercials... and iphone extensive app catalog... puts webOS at a disadvantage.
    Palm is going to have to find a clever way to pull themselves out of the "APP race".
    Its the #1 question my users ask when they are curious about my Palm Pre. They have been marketed heavily on "apps" by both the apple and android machines.
    thx...
    Off the top of my head, potential reasons they (or anyone) may delay a release:
    1. existing inventory is still high
    2. carriers are busy with other launches
    3. wrong time of year
    4. pipeline/vendor supply delays
    5. trying to synchronize OS updates and hardware updates
    6. Tweaking mid-term and long-term roadmaps due to mergers, new ideas, market conditions
    7. Deals are still being negotiated with the carriers

Note that many of these could apply to other vendors besides HPalm. My guess is that several of them may be factors.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Waiting for the stars and planets to align.
    They are waiting for all of their existing customers to get other phones.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris_C3 View Post
    How long has the pre plus been on AT&T? I think they may want to sell a few more devices there before announcing new hardware. They may be planning devices on all carriers at once and dont want to cut into some pre plus sales. From the few clues that have been left around, this fall is when we should see new hardware and webOS. They dont want to cut down on existing sales with something in the future.
    the pre plus / pre is just not only on att . and i doubt the r selling on att with the new iphone.
    "what are you waiting for?!?"

/jennifer love hewitt in "i know what you did last summer"
    I wonder if the phone is near completion yet, or possibly already in the manufacturing stage. Perhaps HP buying them slowed things down, as they may have wanted to add a few things or improve something.

I hope it launches with some cool ads though. I don't wanna have to bury my face every time I see my phone on tv lol
    1. They are remaking one or two, already close to final, designs created by Palm to fit into HP's new Family of devices.

2. They are building an Enterprise backend so they can go after the customers of the current champ (but quickly fading) Blackberry.

3. They are doing an in depth review of the system to make sure it will scale both up for Tablets, Netbooks, Entertainment hubs, and down to Printers, Scanners, ...

4. They are setting up carriers world wide.

5. They are getting commerce in place so they can sell apps in other countries.

6. They want to launch big in North America, and have a pretty short timeline for spreading worldwide.

Just some guesses IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by SFHandyman View Post
    1. They are remaking one or two, already close to final, designs created by Palm to fit into HP's new Family of devices.

2. They are building an Enterprise backend so they can go after the customers of the current champ (but quickly fading) Blackberry.

3. They are doing an in depth review of the system to make sure it will scale both up for Tablets, Netbooks, Entertainment hubs, and down to Printers, Scanners, ...

4. They are setting up carriers world wide.

5. They are getting commerce in place so they can sell apps in other countries.

6. They want to launch big in North America, and have a pretty short timeline for spreading worldwide.

Just some guesses IMO.
    Guesses, maybe ... but I like them all! I hope you're right, especially on the first point. Would love to see new hardware with WebOS v2. Would also love to see a truly unlimited hotspot option like Sprint currently has for the EVO 4G.
    P.S. And while we're on the subject of apps, HP ..... please, please please get Netflix and Hulu to release WebOS apps!
    Current Camp aka blackberry is coming out with their own thing BB 6....my take is that we are not going to see anything till the holidays =(
    They're waiting for August/September. Right now there is a hype with the new iPhone, Droid X and EVO, no it's not a good time to launch. After october, WP7 and BB6, this means more competition. August / September is the ideal date to launch the new webOS devices.
    The other thing I forgot is Apple has already proved a year cycle on your flagship phone works. It is important to have a new phone ready when contracts hit the upgrade date. If HP wants to follow suit, they have to pick the flagship phone's birthday carefully.

The Pre's birthday clashed with the iPhone's.
    Last edited by SFHandyman; 07/16/2010 at 12:48 AM.
    I was reading technology section on google news and bunch of articles on Droid X, reviews, comparisons, longlines etc etc and then i come back to P|C all we have is big fat NOTHING....***sigh*** i miss the anticipation of a new phone....major updates Good times
    Ah yes, silly season, how we've missed ye!
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I think they are still testing it because they don't want to get a letter from Senator Chuck Schumer.

Senator Chuck Schumer writes open letter to Steve Jobs, world is officially doomed -- Engadget