1.    #1  
    i've been thinking about this for some time. Reading all the speculation and hunger for details of a new webos device, I think hp and palm are doing it wrong. Just my opinion but the way I see it, the best way to get publicity in the smartphone world is to leak some information about a device. Even just a picture of the back or corner of a phone, it gets people talking and news sites reporting and by the time the device comes out it sells big because the the anticipation for the device. This waiting silent game doesn't work in my opinion.

what's everyone think?

p.s. lm not trying to make another " omg wheres the new device!?!" thread. Just wanted to make a convo about the positives and negatives of leaking a device, pictures, or info about a new device.
    Yeah I hear what your saying. People are tired of the silence from HPalm... at this rate, most of the WebOS users will jump ship to the Evo or other good phones out there. Ugh, and I might as well get the Evo. My brother did. His reason, tired of the wait. I haven't switched for 2 reason, #1 - No 4G here yet in SF Bay, and #2 - the awesomeness of WebOS. But yeah. time is pasting by fast and once you know it. Everyone switch. So HPalm hurry up already! Shezz...
    Cingular 3125 --> Samsung Instink! --> Palm Pre --> ???
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmac06 View Post
    Yeah I hear what your saying. People are tired of the silence from HPalm... at this rate, most of the WebOS users will jump ship to the Evo or other good phones out there. Ugh, and I might as well get the Evo. My brother did. His reason, tired of the wait. I haven't switched for 2 reason, #1 - No 4G here yet in SF Bay, and #2 - the awesomeness of WebOS. But yeah. time is pasting by fast and once you know it. Everyone switch. So HPalm hurry up already! Shezz...
    while I think they should pick up the pace, I don't really care how long it takes as long as they put out some pics, specs, ect about it. just hearing "somethings coming" doesn't quite do it for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    while I think they should pick up the pace, I don't really care how long it takes as long as they put out some pics, specs, ect about it. just hearing "somethings coming" doesn't quite do it for me.
    Mhm, they should release something or are they waiting for CES this year again to announce the new device? Beats us, it's strange, at the moment, it's all talk but nothing to show for it...
    Cingular 3125 --> Samsung Instink! --> Palm Pre --> ???
    Waiting for CES would be a big mistake as CES 2011 will be in January and HP-Palm needs to get something on the market before Christmas.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    i've been thinking about this for some time. Reading all the speculation and hunger for details of a new webos device, I think hp and palm are doing it wrong. Just my opinion but the way I see it, the best way to get publicity in the smartphone world is to leak some information about a device. Even just a picture of the back or corner of a phone, it gets people talking and news sites reporting and by the time the device comes out it sells big because the the anticipation for the device. This waiting silent game doesn't work in my opinion.

what's everyone think?

p.s. lm not trying to make another " omg wheres the new device!?!" thread. Just wanted to make a convo about the positives and negatives of leaking a device, pictures, or info about a new device.
    I hear what you're saying, and agree 100%. Yes, yes, I understand that the HP buyout is only a few weeks old. Yes, yes, I know we need to have patience. I've heard all this before. The fact is, leaks drive curiosity, and curiosity drives anticipation. Hell, look at the Supersonic leaks that pumped up the Evo. Or the Droid leaks. Even the iPhone leak, although unintentional, whipped people into a frenzy.
    Palm has been talking about their "robust roadmap" since before the HP deal became official. Unless that roadmap included the Pre, Pixi, and then a big question mark, they must have had another device set as the next webOS phone, and HP had to know about it. If this device was planned, and HP and Palm communicated about it, then when is it going to be ready? They (hopefully) do have something that could be leaked. I would just like to see something that will keep everyone, myself included, excited in Palm and webOS.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    I'm switching (again) and a leak would definitely have made a difference to me. I couldn't care less about flexible displays, webOS tablets, or webOS printers. Maybe HP really didn't buy Palm to get into the smartphone business. I don't want to wait on HP or Palm anymore.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    I wonder what this infamous roadmap looks like.
    Does Ruby have it locked up in his car's glove compartment?
    Quote Originally Posted by nychump View Post
    I wonder what this infamous roadmap looks like.
    Does Ruby have it locked up in his car's glove compartment?
    No, he's using Google Maps on Verizon, which is why he's lost.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I think it does help to hype the device but, palm kind of fell victim to their own hype with the original Pre; it was touted as being so many things and then they waited too long and released a product with some hardware flaws, so maybe they're wary of that happening again.

I have switched to the Evo from my launch day Pre, and its actually a cool piece of hardware, despite the things I miss about WebOS. That said, if Palm/HP announced some new hardware while I'm still within my 30 day return period with the Evo, I'd definitely switch back if it lives up to what we're all expecting.
    I agree fully with OP. Unintentional, or even intentional, leaks give a better sense of excitement than formal announcements and drives anticipation. I was really disappointed yesterday. The whole theme was "This Years Superphone" and all Phil said was "stay tuned". Yeah, we weren't doing that already.
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    Maybe they should leave one at a bar in SanFran.... oh wait, it's already been done
    Was there a leak of the original pre back in 09? I remember it being a pretty big surprise.

....And after some googling, a fun trip thru history!

1) 9/22 - a 'something' leak three months before the pre annoucement, nine months before launch, "Nova"
    Palm quietly slips next generation smartphones into mid 2009 -- Engadget

2) 12/19 - Then, "Nova" is confirmed for CES mid-december
    UPDATED: Palm doesn't confirm Nova launch at CES, but they may as well have -- Engadget Mobile

3) 01/04 - Leaks and buzz a few days before CES
    Unconfirmed details flow about Palm's CES-bound Nova phone -- Engadget

4) 01/08 - Reveal!
    The Palm Pre -- Engadget

5) 01/08 - First impressions - choice quote: "We were playing with prototype versions of the phone, but it's certainly all there, other than a bit of a rough slider mechanism that will certainly (hopefully) be worked out before the device goes to market."
    Palm Pre in-depth impressions, video, and huge hands-on gallery -- Engadget
  14.    #14  
    this is the kind of thing i'm talking about. Also the kind of thing I expect from palm (like all their interesting and funny code left behind in webos)

Motorola Droid X Features Revealed In Ad (VIDEO)

it's just plain fun and gets the techies all happy in the pants. Lol.

imagine a webos commercial like that ^

Palm is in a kind of precarious situation. They really, really need to consider leaking something. Especially a rough time frame and a general feel of what they are bringing. They need to do this because of the risk that an even greater number of Pre owners on Sprint will jump. You don't want to lose your customer base, as it's hard to get back.
    perhaps there is no good news to leak, ie. nothing coming until well into next year.

not sure if the 4/27 joblisting in the other thread was legit - but it said:

"Posted Apr 27, 2010
    Palm is actively seeking experienced and creative Hardware Design Engineers to help build the next generation smartphones to follow the Palm Pre. You will play a key role as part of the core
    product development team in jointly architecting and developing products, with the support of
    internal and JDM partner engineers, from inception to production".

kind of implies the next phone has not been conceived.
    Quote Originally Posted by funkmeisterbrau View Post
    perhaps there is no good news to leak, ie. nothing coming until well into next year.

not sure if the 4/27 joblisting in the other thread was legit - but it said:

"Posted Apr 27, 2010
    Palm is actively seeking experienced and creative Hardware Design Engineers to help build the next generation smartphones to follow the Palm Pre. You will play a key role as part of the core
    product development team in jointly architecting and developing products, with the support of
    internal and JDM partner engineers, from inception to production".

kind of implies the next phone has not been conceived.
    No it doesn't. If you're that desperate for clues, you'd notice that it says "Help" build the new phone. Which in turn implies that they are already building it and someone could just provide assistance in the process.

Two can play the speculation game.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    No it doesn't. If you're that desperate for clues, you'd notice that it says "Help" build the new phone. Which in turn implies that they are already building it and someone could just provide assistance in the process.
    You're possibly right that the next phone might already be "conceived," but according to that ad, as of last April, the 'next-generation smartphone to follow the Pre' hadn't been 'architected' or 'developed' yet.

Besides, wouldn't they want a design engineer somewhere near the beginning of this phone-building process?
    Trip down memory lane.

It'll be July again before the Pre3 is even close to being released. Wow.