1.    #1  
    We have heard Palm's roadmap was going forward despite the sale to HP.

What if Palm already had manufacturing contracts signed before the sale?

What if the next device just sells enough to satisfy existing contracts, then is discontinued?

Would you jump to a device that might end up being the oddball of the new family, or wait?

This could explain HP's resistance to announcing the next product. Maybe it is a product they're planning on just purging from the pipeline, then moving onto the new HPalm family of devices.

All speculative, but possible.

What do you think?
    They don't and HP is going to be doing the next device.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    I think that's a good question. But I'll tell you what I think is going on. I think Ruby is looking at what they've been working on for the past two years, and the smartphone landscape, and he knows he has two pressures:

a) In the next six months wicked competition is coming out from Microsoft, Google and perhaps even iPhone on Verizon (big perhaps, but it's there) If they can come out with something competitive, then they MUST release no matter what.

b) HP has the resources to make something truly competitive, but with more time, they could create something mind blowing.

Knowing Ruby, and what he's done in the past with Apple, he is going to push like hell to innovate fast and furious and get something out that is competitive, and yes, maybe even game changing. That's what he aims for. That's why he's still around. When he was at Apple, he pushed the software dept to execute when there wasn't a snowballs chance in hell of making deadline and they did it somehow. And the iPod was born. He wants that same glory. That's in his DNA. Lesser men, myself included, would wait it out. Release something next spring after getting the full power of HP behind you, but you don't see me running a smartphone company do you.

You raise a good point, but knowing Ruby's temperment, and personality, my bet is they release something before Christmas. It doesn't have two cameras, or video chat, but it will have something that is new and different that Ruby has been holding back on. And it BETTER be worth the wait. If it isn't, it's no great loss, because they are, as we speak, plotting WebOS 3.0. Trust me. None of us know what it will entail, but a reasonable guess would be much faster boot time (recent HP acquisition), video chat (recent HP acquisition), iTunes integration with the cloud (recent aquisition), and some crazy hardware design influenced by the Voodoo pc engineers.

But that, alas, is a long way off.
    works for me. Just make sure it runs webOS and has a keyboard...
    Who knows what they have planned, but whatever comes out, I'm sure it'll be supported by hp/palm for a reasonable amount of time. I'm sure hp would just have palm release whatever their working out without future proofing it a little first. I am sure whatever they are working on is going to be competent hardware wise, so I am assuming if there is any real tweaking necessary it will be more software related.
    Any contracts Palm had before the sale are pretty much null and void because Palm no longer exists. HP now is the responsible party and I doubt any company would sign a contract to a manufacturer that would pay them production costs if nothing has been produced.

Now there may be a contract with a company for future production that would involve paying them money if you choose to produce the goods with another vendor. Again that is HP's business.

HP will be fully involved with the production of the phone since it is by all means a product of HP. They are abiding to Palms "roadmap" either because they agree with it or it has been altered to appease HP's interest. The bottom line is that we have no idea what the plans are and how much of the next project will reflect or not reflect Palm's original plan.

HP is not resistant to announcing a new phone. I just think the phone is not fully realized or going through changes to reflect the current trends in the market so they can put out a competitive product. Alot has changed in the smartphone world since the Pre came out.
    contracts are transferable. this was an acquisition, not a bankruptcy.

let's all quit speculating and be patient. it will be worth the wait.,
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Now that the question mark surrounding WebOS' longevity has been removed (I THINK we can all agree on that), is it so beyond the pale to consider other manufacturers adopting it? Samsung? HTC? Anyone currently saddled with Windows Mobile roadmaps?

Anyone?

russ
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    contracts are transferable. this was an acquisition, not a bankruptcy.

let's all quit speculating and be patient. it will be worth the wait.,
    I can appreciate where your're coming from, but without any solid news to discuss, nor any speculation, what would I do with all my free time???

Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I can appreciate where your're coming from, but without any solid news to discuss, nor any speculation, what would I do with all my free time???

I recommend that you post jokes in one of dbd's thread and continue to ban people in the never-ending thread...

...either that or continue the search of Osama Bin what's-his-name.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  11.    #11  
    Yes, this is all just for fun. Feel free to add your own flights of fantasy.
    Was just browsing Engadget and saw the pic of the new HTC concept phone. Can you imagine if the next webOS device looked like this? Daaaang... HOT

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/12/c...tc-would-make/

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....10/07/htc1.jpg

Hopefully HP either has great designers, or uses guys like this! A new Palm phone that looked like this would sell fast (IMHO)! Granted it is missing a camera in this pic, but it's just a prototype design. I think it's pretty sleek looking.

Who knows what's going on at Palm right now in the new hardware area... we can only hope.
  13.    #13  
    It does look slick, but designed so the screen goes all the way to the sides would be a problem. You need the frame around capacitive screens so the fingers of the gripping hand can lap a little around to the front. If they touche the edge of the screen, they could register as touches.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    One thing that I want to see is a bit of future-proofing of the overall phone design compared to the Pre and Pre Plus. What I mean by that is that it took six months from the time the Palm Pre was first shown to when it was available on Sprint, and then eight months later for it to show up on Verizon in the form of the Pre Plus. In that time, while the hardware was better quality, the processor was not significantly upgraded, and it didn't look like a phone trying to compete at the top of the market.

If the specs on the next generation HPalm devices would allow for faster processors to be added over time, the first version might come in at 1GHz(the speed for 2010 at the high end), and for 2011 releases, a 1.2GHz to 1.5GHz, dual-core if available, etc. In 2011, a 1GHz phone will be competitive with "last years devices", and again, it won't have the "wow" factor of being a cutting edge device in terms of hardware specs.

Even now, the Palm Pre Plus could be getting 1GHz chips, perhaps with a slightly larger design and battery without doing major changes, and that would make it competitive enough to be a current generation phone compared to the other devices out there.
    If I couldn't speculate, I'd freaking burst. The wait is killing me.

I honestly think that the C40 is in the process of a mad revamp. And HP is very seriously trying to crank out something that is crazy super polished, and has enough features to make the gadget world pay attention.

Personally, I'd be fine with a faster processor, solid hardware, and more memory. But the rest of the world is not me.

And this is a good thing.
    Another thing to consider (just for fun). Cisco announced their Android tablet, with docking station. It's meant to replace the desk phone, etc... Not really an iPad contend... Cisco's largest UC rival, AVAYA is supposed to be working on one too. Now, Cisco has the cash to dev it's own tablet, but AVAYA? No. Hmmm, on June 30th AVAYA and HP made public a deal to "co-dev" UC products...and, AVAYA has a "big" announcement on July 20th. The teaser says: AVAYA's about to change the way you do business... Just food for fodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    HP will be fully involved with the production of the phone since it is by all means a product of HP.
    I think this is an important point. HP spent all this money basically for WebOS. But one bad product can kill it's long term viability. The question is balancing the need to release quickly to stay relevant vs. possibly releasing too early leading to vital mistakes and permanently damaging the brand. It's not a decision I would want to be involved in. Regardless, my Pre feels ancient even with the constant patching.