1.    #1  
    There's a scene in the new Tom Cruise movie Knight and Day where he tells Cameron Diaz that government agents will be coming for her and if they repeatedly say she is "safe" and "secure", she is most likely going to be murdered.

I'm starting to get a similar feeling from these repeated assurances from HP folk regarding WebOS in smartphones. The merger is done, and we had another opportunity for HP to come out and throw some scraps of meat to the hungry hordes. Nothing except vague assurances that HP "intends to compete" in the "mobile phone space", and even that didn't come up until he was asked about it in a Q&A.

So the question is, how long does HP have for YOU before these constant assurances (and no new products to back them up) start having the opposite of the intended effect?
    Like I said in another post, they need to put up or shut by the end of the year.

Even if they drop hints then show the completed device at CES. But they can't do what Palm did with the Pre, and wait without word to release it.

I know we disagreed on this when the Pre was first released, but I still think it was a big mistake not to do enough advertising before the release. All other devices now are leaking info about a month before release so people can get excited and get in line to buy. It seems to be working.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The EVO had about a 3 month bake time, and I'd say it did pretty well.

I have no idea *** palm is doing, there are a dozen new android phones out every month and palm thinks they can just tease with a wink and say "oh, yes, something is coming soon."

It's been 18 months since the Pre got announced, I don't know what they are waiting for...how do you get developers interested in a platform if there are no new devices on the horizon, why invest your time and energy into 500mhz phone?

It's great that they're working on the PDK and app store, but really, how about announcing an ANNOUNCE date for whatever we're waiting for?
    Quote Originally Posted by thelelander View Post
    The EVO had about a 3 month bake time, and I'd say it did pretty well.
    Really? Current estimates put Evo sales at 300,000. Guess what the Palm pre was estimated to have sold after 1 month? A little over 300,000.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Really? Current estimates put Evo sales at 300,000. Guess what the Palm pre was estimated to have sold after 1 month? A little over 300,000.
    Both were constrained by supply issues. The Evo much longer than the Pre was, tho. 5 weeks out, and it's still sold out pretty much everywhere. Not a good thing for Sprint.
    I'm not saying that palm didn't do well. I'm saying 3 months was a pretty decent time to hype a product, I don't think anyone would argue that the EVO hasn't been a big success (sold out nationwide) given the # of smartphones in existence now (+ iPhone 4) vs. a year ago.

Basically, we are looking at an Xmas release (best-case Aug special announcement) of whatever we're waiting for (at the earliest). If there's any truth to the VZ-iphone January rumor, I don't see how palm can pull off a successful launch in that timeframe.

Apple has a black eye with this whole antenna thing, would be great if palm steps up to bat with something to make people hold off buying an iPhone.
    Most people predict a September announcement with an early December rollout and I tend to agree – however I also intend to hang onto my palm pre plus until the end of my contract – I love my phone.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Lets see, one Palm Pre sells 300,000. One EVO sells 300,000..... And the rest of the Android phones combined have sold well into the multi-millions.

A little one sided when you try to defend our TWO hardware offerings that are very outdated to Android when they have nearly 20 offerings?! Probably more since I haven't done the official count.

I agree with the original point. Unless HP plans to do all the developing internally and through big name corporate deals, they've already lost the dev support because of being silent. If you don't agree, then you really need to open your eyes.
    It really is frustrating. The Pre has made no game changing advances since it was announced January 2009, while Android and even Iphone have too numerous to count. Regardless of the sale to HP, there have to be new phones in the pipeline and WebOS 2.0 coming up, but we have gotten nothing, no hints, no pics, specs etc. By December the Pre will essentially be 2 years old, beyond a relic. It's getting really tempting to ditch for a Droid X etc. If only I didn't have 5 touchstones....
    no game changing anoucement? Ummm, did you miss the update tha brought video recording, how bout 3d games? The hot apps program? Or how bout the new update coming in fall..pickup a second pre, and doctor it to webos 1.1 and tell me there is no difference.
    We are seriously getting shafted here. Palm has to realize that they are not Apple and can't just release a phone once a year, or in this case once every 2 years. Even Android has been pooping out a bundle of phones and all high specs. Regardless of Palm being being a smaller company, they should have released something by now. This is just ********.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    Lets see, one Palm Pre sells 300,000. One EVO sells 300,000..... And the rest of the Android phones combined have sold well into the multi-millions.

A little one sided when you try to defend our TWO hardware offerings that are very outdated to Android when they have nearly 20 offerings?! Probably more since I haven't done the official count.

I agree with the original point. Unless HP plans to do all the developing internally and through big name corporate deals, they've already lost the dev support because of being silent. If you don't agree, then you really need to open your eyes.
    True point. But the Android model is totally different - and not a bad one for them. Google doesn't really make a phone. (Oh yeah, there is the Nexus One ). They get HTC and Motorola and whomever else making the phones with their OS to "duke it out" among themselves for market share. So it doesn't cost Google much of anything do produce as many phones as manufacturers can make and persuade carriers to buy.

Palm (HP) is caught between the Apple model and the Google one - A-Z control of the manufacturing process and the open source OS model. There is room for them but they will likely never take the place of either one (Apple) or two (Android) in mindshare unless one of them stumbles mightily.

(I know about Blackberry and Symbian in Europe, but there is no real passion for either among most)

But they can certainly be a solid 3rd if they get moving. Blackberry is ripe for attrition and Windows is only a threat because of their war chest, but their past record doesn't frighten.
    I guess palm is waiting for other phones to come out and beat them out of the market again just like the Droid did.

They might as well release the phone right before the
    Galaxy S phones... Windows 7 phones... Verizon iPhone(?) comes out.

So that Ruby can whine about how palm could've done well if only...............
    I think palm is waiting for the omap4 to be in full production i think its the only real thing holding them from going forward. I really doubt they will be using a single core. Dual core is a real way to increase performance. The second thing that is holding them back was the release of the iphone it does not make any sense to release it at this time. Also they could also be waiting for the 4g network to expand on sprint and for lte on verizon. I think they done with the pre 2 and what ever else they are making as products. But these 4 things are holding them back.

verizon lte
    sprint 4g
    omap4
    waiting after the release of new competition
    Overclocking the Pre has made it bareable to hold out through this wave of 1ghz phones like the EVO, Iphone, DroidX. I sincerely doubt it will keep me satisfied when the next step up hits.

At this point in the game, I think it has to be a dual core phone to make a splash.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelelander View Post
    I'm not saying that palm didn't do well. I'm saying 3 months was a pretty decent time to hype a product, I don't think anyone would argue that the EVO hasn't been a big success (sold out nationwide) given the # of smartphones in existence now (+ iPhone 4) vs. a year ago.

Basically, we are looking at an Xmas release (best-case Aug special announcement) of whatever we're waiting for (at the earliest). If there's any truth to the VZ-iphone January rumor, I don't see how palm can pull off a successful launch in that timeframe.

Apple has a black eye with this whole antenna thing, would be great if palm steps up to bat with something to make people hold off buying an iPhone.
    I'm of the opinion that one of the primary reasons for the success of Android is that it is available on every major carrier while the iPhone is still exclusive to one. Android's phenomenal growth rate in market share could be reflective of unsatisfied iPhone demand. If HPalm's next webOS phone launch occurs near the same time that the iPhone becomes available on another carrier, it will be a disaster of Titanic proportions for webOS. Surely someone at HP must recognize this.

Yes, Apple is not handling the antenna design problem well, but that didn't keep me from ordering one. All you have to do is put a case on it. Even duct tape works.