Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I commented in an article, but I thought I might get a bit more feedback in a thread.

Guys, say what you will about Palm and HP releasing killer hardware and Palm coming back to life. The truth is, webOS is quickly going the way of the techie geek, swallowed up by the popular OS of the day, be it android or IOS. The reality is that anyone buying a pre right now is most likely doing so because of one of us. Hell, I got 8 peeps to convert who really never heard of a pre before. But I had to convince another friend to wait "at leats until Christmas" before he packed it in and went the Android route. Carriers have no reason to push them when there are more profitable phones out there. And this isn't 2009 anymore (wow, sooooo long ago!) when super phones weren't being cranked out left and right. Say what you will about Rim, IOS, android, etc, but the are staying current and people know what you are talking about when you mention them. Blackberry, iPhone, Droid. Becoming household names. Ask a non-techie about webOS and they will stare blankly at you. Ask them about the pre and the majority will have either never heard of it, or will just have heard the name, but really know nothing about the phone. HPalm needs to get going, and fast. The marketing has to be superb. I even think a dual release of a tablet and a smartphone could help thrust webOS back into thing. But as a previous poster said, simply becoming a ****** community sugar-coating the reality of the smartphone world is putting blinders on to what's going on.
    And if we are being optimistic here, and I'm trying my best to be so, then we do need to ask ourselves...How long is too long to wait for a new phone? At what point is it really too late to make a dent in the monster platforms out there now. How long until webOS is regulated to working behind the scenes to make printers sorta neat? I don't want to be a doomsayer, but I'd have to say that the time is coming up much too soon.
    Last edited by morrison0880; 08/05/2010 at 01:36 PM.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    its never to late !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    short and sweet.
    People buy what's hot.
    Hp/ palm can wait 5 years for all they care.
    People can't wait 5 minutes.
    Webos is not going to die.
    When Hp/palm does release(a good product) then people will come back.
    sidenotes: Hp's bread and butter is not webos or palm they can bake as long as Hp feels they need it to to get there new copany right
    /2nd 5 years is not literal but must we forget motorola was dead and gone after the razor and released the droid(new savior) three years after the org. Iphone and is gaining market share on the back of android

lied about the short part
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    To Late? Its never to late!
    Did we give up when the Germans bombed pearl harbor??!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    alright bluto lolol
    forget it, he's rolling....
    the SmartPhone market is less than 10% of what it will be in 5 years, so market growth alone makes it a lucrative business for HP. It's never too late to jump in mid-stream (by acquiring webOS) but probably too late for starting from scratch (Like Microsoft keeps trying to do...).

The ink on the merger papers isn't dry yet, so we have to be patient for a few weeks while they prepare to move forward. I am confident that we will start to hear of their plans, and we will see new product announcements in plenty of time for the holidays.

Creating webOS took a long time. Expanding it's capabilities and improving the platform is much easier than it was to start from scratch. Good things are coming!
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle.
    Reserve yours today!
    I here an Animal House monolog coming...
    nothing is over until we say it's over!!!
    Personally I thought it was too late when Palm made the Pixi. But of course that's just my opinion and I could be wrong.
    Mikest, you just singlehandedly rewrote history.!!!!!!!!!!

life moves fast, don't miss class.....
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Personally I thought it was too late when Palm made the Pixi. But of course that's just my opinion and I could be wrong.
    Hahaha! Yeah, a bit of a downer there, eh?
    I'm sincerely hoping that webOS grows quickly to becomes a dominant player in the market, because of its elegance, openness, and incredible ease of use. The problem is that if the next phone isn't a seller, HP could, and probably would, pull the plug on the smartphone part of things. Either that or make simple devices that might appeal to business users looking to sync with other HP hardware running a version of webOS. They have no reason to continue to fight a battle that they're sitting on the sidelines of. They have webOS and can use it on other devices as they see fit, and those other devices may stand a better chance of being profitable for them. Remember, they're in it to make money, and won't keep Palm around under the umbrella if it's going to be a sieve . Which would really suck since I really don't want any other smartphone running something other than webOS.
    Look, just like you and I don't want anything else besides a smartphone running webOS, so too will the vast majority of Rimm, IOS, android user choose to stay with their platforms, simply because they're familiar. HPalm will be hard pressed to get converts, imo, if the other OS's dig in deep enough, and that could really put them in a tight spot. Yes the smartphone market is growing, but the masses coming in will probably gravitate towards what's popular and well known. If HPalm waits, they could be on the outside when the market really opens up.
    Like I said, I've become extremely patient with Palm (sorta have to be), but we're nearing a point where they risk getting lost in the mix, and we're not talking about little Palm who will sink or swim with smartphones. We're dealing with HP, a multi-billion dollar corporation that probably won't have the patience you or I have.

Or I could be dead wrong and they will come out with a phone 2 years down the road with webOS that will blow people's minds. Who knows. Just a couple thoughts.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    We're dealing with HP, a multi-billion dollar corporation that probably won't have the patience you or I have.
    HP is very patient. They still sell iPaqs.
    I don't know when it will be too late but yes, all the new hardware coming out makes it look as if Palm/HP is falling farther and farther behind. The mindshare of Apple and Android is growing incredibly. Palm/HP is going to have to pull something out of a hat to get people to pay attention to them. Marketing and new versions of WebOS aren't going to do it.

What does HP have? They have HP Labs. A fundamental research organization matched by few in the world. I'm betting there are technologies in there that are just itching to get out into real products. Paired up with WebOS, those technologies will finally be able to take form in innovative new ways to solve problems. Probably in ways we haven't even begun to think of yet. That is how HP will take the lead.
    To the OP:

I understand, and, quite honestly, share, to some degree, your frustration, however, you are forgetting one VERY important fact - though its not your fault - its really the media's fault, actually, because, the culture of this country focuses only on "winning" and "the best", no matter what stage the race/game is in, however....

Here it is - there are approximately 3b cell phone users in the world. Yes, 3billion. Of those 3billion users, 2.5 billion are GSM and .5 billion are CDMA. Furthermore, of those 3 billion users, only 200m - 300m are smartphone users.

That's less than 10% of the total market! And, it has taken 4 years to get there!

See, the smartphone market is, despite what you read and hear about market dominance (android) and "we are the most innovative company ever" (iPhone.Apple) and engrained in corporate culture (RIM), just beginning to happen... it is in its infancy, and THIS is why, no matter how you, or I, or anyone else, want to twist it, the reality is, that there is a HUGE market, not just in the North american continent, but worldwide, to sell smartphones and upgraded carrier services to, still.

And, here is the really important aspect: despite our American culture of needing to be the best and the winner.... there is more than enough room for 4 - 5 really solid smartphone providers to service those needs and they ALL will do very, very well.

Now, if, on the other hand, hat 3 billion worldwide market has already been 50% accommodated y now, and HP/Palm was in thier current position, then, THEN, your post and POV would have a much more relevant significance.

Chin up... despite what ANYone says, posts or writes, any place, this game/race has not even begun yet...

IMO, of course!
    Last edited by LCGuy; 07/10/2010 at 09:27 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mykal900 View Post
    Mikest, you just singlehandedly rewrote history.!!!!!!!!!!

life moves fast, don't miss class.....
    It wasn't him that changed history.

It was Hiler, right after he shot Kennedy during that play in the theater.
    HP makes desktops, laptops, and netbooks. Increasingly folks are using smartphones as their primary access to the web. I hardly ever turn my desktop on. I use my netbook only when I can't get to something on my pre.

People who adopt smartphones are going to delay updating other equipment, or not buy it at all.

HP is going to try very hard to retain those customers by building the next generation of equipment those customers are moving to.

HP needs to be big in the mobile market, and they know it. They also know the way to make it most profitable is to own the OS and the app store that supports those mobile devices.

Palm is not an insignificant purchase to HP. They are a primary access to staying on top.
    Last edited by SFHandyman; 07/11/2010 at 06:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    To the OP:

I understand, and, quite honestly, share, to some degree, your frustration, however, you are forgetting one VERY important fact - though its not your fault - its really the media's fault, actually, because, the culture of this country focuses only on "winning" and "the best", no matter what stage the race/game is in, however....

Here it is - there are approximately 3b cell phone users in the world. Yes, 3billion. Of those 3billion users, 2.5 billion are GSM and .5 billion are CDMA. Furthermore, of those 3 billion users, only 200m - 300m are smartphone users.

That's less than 10% of the total market! And, it has taken 4 years to get there!

See, the smartphone market is, despite what you read and hear about market dominance (android) and "we are the most innovative company ever" (iPhone.Apple) and engrained in corporate culture (RIM), just beginning to happen... it is in its infancy, and THIS is why, no matter how you, or I, or anyone else, want to twist it, the reality is, that there is a HUGE market, not just in the North american continent, but worldwide, to sell smartphones and upgraded carrier services to, still.

And, here is the really important aspect: despite our American culture of needing to be the best and the winner.... there is more than enough room for 4 - 5 really solid smartphone providers to service those needs and they ALL will do very, very well.

Now, if, on the other hand, hat 3 billion worldwide market has already been 50% accommodated y now, and HP/Palm was in thier current position, then, THEN, your post and POV would have a much more relevant significance.

Chin up... despite what ANYone says, posts or writes, any place, this game/race has not even begun yet...

IMO, of course!
    That's a very optimistic outlook. But:

1. Palm almost went under, even with webOS, due to their own shortcomings. The reason they had to go the webOS route was to make themselves relevant again. They didn't exactly.

2. HP hasn't inspired too much confidence with "we didn't buy Palm to get in the smartphone business" or something like that. Then claiming they may expand webOS into more than smartphones. That may be their true intention to begin with and there won't be too many webOS smartphones, if at all. The tablet idea is good though. But this leads to 3...

3. Nothing seems to be materializing on HP or Palm's front, while RIM, Android and iOS continue to take over. There's only room for so many players. Even with the large worldwide market, you still need to make a name for yourself. And out of sight is out of mind. People may not buy something that seems obscure or with a doubtful future.

I agree with the OP. They need to put up or shut up by the end of the year. WP7 will be out, another thing to contend with. Although no longer a force like the other 3, WP7 will cut into the remaining pie even more. And if they surprise people and do well, this will be another problem for webOS if they wait too long to produce something.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Palm Pre remains the only smartphone that is a decent size and has a physical keyboard. Until someone else produces a phone with these characteristics, Palm will have a market.
    Ummm, it's been only a week and half since the purchase of Palm was finalized "chicken littles" and Palm haters.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast