1.    #1  
    Hi everyone,

I guess I am not the only one, who feels that Palm/HP is working hard to clear out the decks, due to a new product roll-out, (very soon)! Let's hope I am right!

Take care,

Jay

HP Clears Palm's Deck
    Wayne Rash, Wednesday, July 7, 2010

HP Clears Palm's Deck | CTO Edge

Itís the dawning of a new day at Palm. While the purchase by Hewlett-Packard closed last week, everybody was on vacation, so nothing much happened except a few announcements and comments from pundits. But now the vacations are over, and the integration of Palm into HP has started. First, as expected are the layoffs, which are a standard feature of corporate marriages. Redundant employees usually have to go unless they can be moved into new jobs.

But in this merger, HP is clearing the decks of more than excess employees. Itís also clearing out excess products. Starting this week, the price on Palmís website for the Palm Pixi Plus and the Palm Pre Plus for both Verizon Wireless and AT&T is zero. Thatís right, the phones are free with a two-year contract.

There are really only two reasons to give products away essentially for free. One is because youíre trying to gain market share, and the second is to clear inventory for something new. The device giveaway, plus the layoffs, point to HP giving Palm a fresh start. Exactly what will replace the Plus devices when inventory runs out is an interesting, but unanswered, question.

Perhaps HP wants to start putting the HP logo on Palm devices. Or perhaps the long-rumored (and not-so-rumored) efforts by Palm to create new devices are farther along than previously thought, and the Plus series is about to be updated with something better. Or maybe the Palm devices will be replaced with new, more capable devices that will compete more effectively with the latest iPhone and Android devices. Right now, itís not clear what HP and its Palm division have in mind.

But one thing is clear: HP needs to act fast to consolidate Palmís place in its universe, and it needs to find a way to produce devices that compete with the market-leading smartphones. The one thing it already has is WebOS, which is highly capable. What it doesnít have is a snazzy new platform. It needs something that will compete for market share against the iPhone 4, the Evo and the Droid X, and it needs them quickly.

The layoffs of Palm staffers appear to have been very limited, and the fact that the company is obviously clearing the decks for something point to a period of aggressive development by the HP/Palm team. While we probably wonít be seeing Palmís iPhone killer next week, we could see something significant by the end of the summer. That, followed in quick succession by a series of new smartphones with good app store support, followed by a WebOS-based tablet this fall could make Palm a serious contender again.

Now, if they could only bring back Graffiti, weíd have a touchscreen design that would be more than just another iPhone wanna-be. That would be even nicer.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    This is basically what everyone has been guessing since Radioshack started clearing out Touchstones; Verizon giving away phones (BOGO), and the easiness of getting a replacement. Also the fact that most retailers don't carry the original Pre/Pixi.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    HP is taking on palm in a big way. There will be no HP logos on Palm phones... sounds like they want to keep he Palm name. They will probably put webOS on HP logo slates/tablets.
    Palm s a subsidiary of hp.. with access to all of hp resources... I am looking for a new pair of SPY sunglasses.. the future is very bright ;-)
    thanks for posting. I love your enthusiasm.
    Jay Jay..dynomite!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    HP is taking on palm in a big way. There will be no HP logos on Palm phones... sounds like they want to keep he Palm name. They will probably put webOS on HP logo slates/tablets.
    Palm s a subsidiary of hp.. with access to all of hp resources... I am looking for a new pair of SPY sunglasses.. the future is very bright ;-)
    Jay Jay..dynomite!
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Yeah good info. Sounds like something is coming soon.
    I'm massively excited about the HP/Palm merger and all of the endless opportunities it brings for WebOS. Palm had the insanely bright ideas to create an amazing WebOS, they just didn't have the funding. Now HP can bring the funding while Palm brings the brains. That's a helluva combination in my opinion.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by UndeadCircus View Post
    I'm massively excited about the HP/Palm merger and all of the endless opportunities it brings for WebOS. Palm had the insanely bright ideas to create an amazing WebOS, they just didn't have the funding. Now HP can bring the funding while Palm brings the brains. That's a helluva combination in my opinion.
    I couldn't have said it better myself! Take care, Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    Jay Jay..dynomite!
    Kind of reminds me of the Android phones that say like "HTC Incredible with Google."

That way it will be "HP Arch with Palm."

Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    it's funny how sprint still charges you more than a benjamin for their palm pre and it honestly sux in comparison. Maybe palm doesn't want people buying this one because it produces a lackluster user experience compared to the others with MOAR RAAAMMM.

anyway, i got friends on sprint (as am I) and I can't recommend it to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    it's funny how sprint still charges you more than a benjamin for their palm pre and it honestly sux in comparison. Maybe palm doesn't want people buying this one because it produces a lackluster user experience compared to the others with MOAR RAAAMMM.

anyway, i got friends on sprint (as am I) and I can't recommend it to them.
    Honestly, Sprint has such better smartphone plans that I still can't believe people care that much about paying for the phone up front. Considering your going to spend around two thousand dollars over a two year period for service on the phone and people complain that it costs like a hundred dollars more than the competition. You easily make that money back within the first few months with Sprint.

/slight rant

Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    yes that is true, that in the end you will spend less, but with verizon for example you get free mobile hotspot (out of the box), generally better coverage, and arguably a better phone. I try to tell my friends that they should move to vz or edit:removed att if they want a higher quality service and have the money. Otherwise, I tell them to get a sprint phone off of ebay and then add the insurance plans when they activate it, as this will not extend their contract so when the better palm comes out they can get it (provided they make sure the activator does not extend their contract...you have to insist).
    Although I love the Palm Pre, I don't recommend it to any friends because I don't wanna deal with any of the issues they run into. I'm saying that because every phone has it's problems.

Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    ah! oh, wow. both of us. this is sad though.
  14.    #14  
    Hi everyone,

Since I haven't be eligible for a new phone and therefore, have not had a Pre...(Still have my Centro, I can get a new phone is mid Oct), I for one cannot wait, for Palm to announce (or someone to leak), what is coming out of the pine line next.

I still think it will be sooner than later....this b/c there is such a push to clear out Pre/Pixi's in inventory...after all it is either free or almost free almost everywhere you look!

Take care,

Jay