Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just heard this from an HP conference in Las Vegas a week ago: HP employees are afraid they'll be forced to give up their iPhones and required to carry Palm Pres.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/08/2010 at 01:15 AM. Reason: clarify title
    How many? What were the circumstances under which you "heard" this? Need more details for this to be credible.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Agreed. For a claim like this, you'll need a good source if you want to be taken seriously.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    If they're using iPhones and not like a Windows Mobile phone, more closely related to HP, I highly doubt they'll have to give them up anyway.
    Sounds like some silly rumor...

They should be more afraid of losing their jobs because of Palm's awesome talent taking over some engineering jobs.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarner View Post
    Just heard this from an HP conference in Las Vegas a week ago: HP employees are afraid they'll be forced to give up their iPhones and required to carry Palm Pres.
    I'm an HP employee with a Pre since July '09 and love it.

HP is not going to require employees to carry any specific phone. The only requirement HP had was that only Windows Mobile devices could connect to the Exchange servers. On the day the deal closed, WebOS devices were allowed to connect to the Exchange servers. iPhones were never, and will never be allowed to connect.

So, HP employees that already have an iLemming phone will be able to keep their iLemming phones as they always have, but will not be able to connect to the Exchange servers, like they always haven't.

-Skippy
    If this is true the employees should thank their employer.
    Talk about mastering the obvious... most iPhone owners aren't going to volunteer to give them up for something unknown and/or with bad press. So why would HP sales people want to do that?

Any of us could have made the statement in the OP. They probably wish they could carry Dell or Macbook Pro laptops. Fortunately, they work for HP, and the don't get to vote on how HP applies their new $1.2billion toy.

It would have been much more interesting if they HAD volunteered to throw away their iphones on the say of the acquisition.

ps, we WANT them to use and complain about the Pre. That's how it will quickly get to feature parity with the Centro... user complaints.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarner View Post
    Without a souce or anything to back this statement up there's no sense in feeding into it. Serves no purpose.
    Well, if HP issued a Pre/Pixi to each and every HP employee, that would be great! More user feedback from the *source* of webOS. :P
    They'd be so lucky.
    I can't believe I'm gunna say this, but if an HP employee had a corporate paid line and it was not an HP ipaq,(or webos palm) I would be asking more questions. As far as their personal lines? Wimo 6.5, and webos should be it for exchange access, those are part of the HP product line.
    I think its fair to say that rumors are just that; take them with a grain of salt. Usually, there is a basis for starting one.. however, more often than not, its not even close to the actual rumor that circulates.

I tend to give Skippy's post above more credibility - as it sounds more logical, but, until I hear it first hand, or from a verified source, its all "rhetoric", IMO.

NO employer will force a personal phone decision onto its employees.. they WILL, of course, mandate business phone decisions.. because they are paying for it.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I hate when OPs post something ignorant or a rumor and then NEVER POST EVER AGAIN.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    I hate when OPs post something ignorant or a rumor and then NEVER POST EVER AGAIN.
    Yep, and with a title that states a "fact" that is provacative but untrue. Hopefully a mod will change that title.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    theres a name for that type of OP....and it starts with a T
    No company is going to force their employees to use a palm phone as their personal phone. They may provide a company phone (Pixi/Pre), and they have every right to dictate which phone the company provides.

My father works for Boeing and they provide him with a BB, he still uses his Pre as his personal phone. When he is not at work, he leaves the BB sitting on his desk at home.
    Last edited by Butters3605; 07/07/2010 at 07:20 PM.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    I think it would be smart if HP would offer free Pres to its employees so it could generate interest amongst its engineers to develop more apps for webos!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Very silly rumor, they can not FORCE you to use a product they do not want to, that does not mean they will not give them a discount or even free phones if they want to switch.
    Actually, issuing webOS devices to employees is a great idea. Just think of all of the insiders reporting the same missing features we have identified. Maybe the message would reach the correct people rather than being ignored by customer service.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast