Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Whoa. What a response. FYI, I'm a long time poster all the back from the Treo Central days.

I just heard the story third hand and thought I'd throw it out for comment. It seemed quite reasonable. I was assuming the requirement would be for work phones. I was hoping we could find some HP employees who were not Pre users and find out what kind of opinion they had formed about the Pre before using one.

Being forced to use HP products seems to be a requirement at HP. When an HP VP, was asked by a Palm software engineer if he could continue to use his Mac for development (he was from Apple), the VP responded with a threatening "No". Rubenstein has spent some time trying to tip-toe his way around that one with all the former Apple engineers still at Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    theres a name for that type of OP....and it starts with a T
    ...and ends with a roll.

Rhymes with bowl.

Looks like a green monster.

Also had a pretty cool cartoon.

What?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarner View Post
    Whoa. What a response. FYI, I'm a long time poster all the back from the Treo Central days.

I just heard the story third hand and thought I'd throw it out for comment. It seemed quite reasonable. I was assuming the requirement would be for work phones. I was hoping we could find some HP employees who were not Pre users and find out what kind of opinion they had formed about the Pre before using one.

Being forced to use HP products seems to be a requirement at HP. When an HP VP, was asked by a Palm software engineer if he could continue to use his Mac for development (he was from Apple), the VP responded with a threatening "No". Rubenstein has spent some time trying to tip-toe his way around that one with all the former Apple engineers still at Palm.
    Well that makes more sense then if it's "third hand" "just throwing it out there" information. The title to this thread makes it sound like it's solid first hand information.
    I hate when thread titles are misleading.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarner View Post

sounded bogus to me....hp makes smartphones already....the hp ipaq....seems like if they would have already banned iphones and made their employees use ipaqs if that was the case...
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    sounded bogus to me....hp makes smartphones already....the hp ipaq....seems like if they would have already banned iphones and made their employees use ipaqs if that was the case...
    they are like most companies (including mine) where they give you what they want you to use but let you opt for something else. At HP, they let you use something else, but limit how they support it (they don't let iPhone users connect to their server as they do phones running Windows). Same with where I work, they only supported Blackberry and WinMo (because WinMo licensed some BB push technology). They just recently added limited support for iPhone which allowed me to use the same method to connect my Pre Plus.

We either live with the limits, or carry a second device.

If you were already carrying an iPhone, those trade-offs are known and understood. I can easily see why someone would choose an iphone in spite of HP limiting access, or having to carry a second phone. I've been carrying two devices for years until just recently.

So taking a great phone that users proactively choose to carry (iPhone) away and replacing it with an un-known upstart webOS phone that has been getting bad press... people would certainly "not want" that as the OP speculates. That's just common sense.

However, there is a big difference between existing iPhone users not wanting forced change and the actual truth which is that HP isn't forcing anything just as they hadn't previously forced anything... the OP speculation is silly at best.

I can point to similar conversations after any large meeting I've ever been at... like "what do you mean we are switching to salesforce.com? I don't want anything to do with that - Siebel is better anyway and I've got all my stuff in there..." or even "what do you mean we are switching from Lenovo to Dell? I don't want to do that. My docking station and spare battery wont fit, and I hate the Dell keyboard layout"...

Insert any two products above. Change is rarely welcomed. But in this case, there is no "forcing" of change, just a gross misunderstanding of what was heard 3rd hand and posted just to be provocative.

I'm sure many at HP will gladly grab a webOS phone, and quickly understand why HP bought Palm. Others will stick with what they know/like. Either choice is fine as long as they get their jobs done.

Palm users like us benefit from having thousands of potential new users that will (hopefully) be all over Palm product mgmt to add features that should already be in webOS (and are certainly on the roadmap). For example If the CEO of HP starts screaming in surprise when he discovers he can't voice-dial on his new phone... that will rise in priority and he can allocate the resources to make it happen. Especially if hands-free is required by law in California.

This thread drives me crazy because it isn't even a rumor. It's stating an obvious thought that is part of human nature, and not at all scandalous at HP or anywhere else. It isn't a fact, and it isn't a rumor.

Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    @workerb33, tl;dr

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    @workerb33, tl;dr
    whuh?

Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    whuh?
    Let me google that for you
    ok, I thought your cat ran across your keyboard...

Reserve yours today!
    I wouldn't be the one hiring a employee that voiced a lame concern like that. Im gonna loose my iphone becuase were taking over palm. I HIGHLY doubt, Hp would FORCE a employee to use a Palm device. Perhaps emphazing the availability of a discounted device through HP. But a requirement? I think not.
    I have the pre+ and multiple android. It will be a cold day in hell before i use a Iphoney. I love my Pre+ and my droids if i worked for hp the last thing i would use is a iphoney.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12