1.    #1  
    I'm not sure whether or not the Palm folks read these forums, but I'd like to make a use case for any future Palm hardware.

I love my Pre. I've had a Pre since the Sprint Launch.

There is one 'use case' that I still cannot abide, and it's a simple one:

Hanging up the phone.

When I'm not on the phone screen and I want to hang up it can be a very 'fiddly' procedure.

I really would love to see those traditional Call Start and Call End buttons return.

And I'm NOT talking about capacitive buttons either. I'm talking about real life, mechanical buttons.
    No, the reason I bought a Pre over an Android phone (at the time) was the lack of send/end buttons. They're useless 90% of the time.
    Sounds like you need to install preware and some patches. There is a patch that lets you slide your phone to hangup. (slide to hangup' or something like that)
    I loaded the "close slide to end calls" patch so now I slide open to answer and slide closed to end. I also think it looks cool! We don't need any more mechanics on the phones. I think even the on/off button could be a recessed touch point to eliminate a point of failure.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I loaded the "close slide to end calls" patch so now I slide open to answer and slide closed to end. I also think it looks cool! We don't need any more mechanics on the phones. I think even the on/off button could be a recessed touch point to eliminate a point of failure.
    Power Button? No. I don't want a touch sensitive button that needs power to operate to draw the battery when the phone is off.

Hardware button please.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    i just slide the phone app off the screen & it ends the calls...pretty easy, not so 'fiddly'... i like having a lack of 'buttons'...
    I would also prefer some kind of mechanical button. The user should be able to answer and hang up without looking at the phone.
    closing the phone app is the fastest. Some good patches to auto close at various events, too.
    I tried "Power button to end calls" patch, but I deleted it because I kept inadvertantly hanging up on people when I just wanted to turn off the screen to save on battery.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Palm just needs to make the on-screen hangup button work correctly..
    I never had look at the phone to hit the hang up button. I guess that's me.
    A no need for hardware buttons vote from me.
    I slide mine close and it ends call and turns off - ha-ha
    I have been using the "power button to end calls" patch since last fall, one of my favorite patches and I do not have any hangup issues with it. I also use the "close slider to end calls" patch too but this patch took me awhile to get use to because I would open the slider and use universal search to call someone and then after placing the call close the slider and hang up on the person that I was calling.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    I tried "Power button to end calls" patch, but I deleted it because I kept inadvertantly hanging up on people when I just wanted to turn off the screen to save on battery.
    This is funny because the Pre has a proximity sensor and automatically switches off the screen when there's an active phonecall and something (e.g. your ear) is close to it.

I think the perfect setup is no mechanical keys, slide open to accept call, slide shut to end call. Easy and elegant. Wrong company, but I wanna say magical.
  16.    #16  
    The slider patch will not work for me. I'll just end up hanging up on people.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I just wish there were one or two other physical buttons that could be used differently depending on the active program. E.g. for phone it could do call/hangup. for media player it could do skip/pause, etc. One of the biggest problems I have with touchscreen phones is that they are impossible to use without looking at them, which makes them much more difficult to use in a car. Eg. as a media player...
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I just flick the phone app off screen. Simple. Easy. Fast. No need for a hardware button. I like the look of the 1-button Sprint Pre.
    The proximity sensor causes my screen to shut off every time I move the phone away to hang it up, and it really is irritating. I don't know about a hardware button for ending calls, but I want to see webOS 2.0 work some of the patches into the options menu so you can choose sliding, power button, or touchscreen without homebrew. I love homebrew, but it's not a good way to sell a lot of the new 2.0 phones that will be out in the unknown future.