1.    #1  
    In the last week, I have received several short cryptic messages from email addresses unknown to me, e.g. jodriozola@tiptop.es
    /W32 Klez.E removal tools.

I only get 50 free SMS messages/month on my voicestream account, I'd hate to see it eaten up by spam!
    Originally posted by Croshaven
    In the last week, I have received several short cryptic messages from email addresses unknown to me, e.g. jodriozola@tiptop.es
    /W32 Klez.E removal tools.

I only get 50 free SMS messages/month on my voicestream account, I'd hate to see it eaten up by spam!
    So far I only recieved One sms spam. Fingers crossed.

Report it to your provider see what they say.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Looks like the email address associated with your wireless SMS number was on somebody's email list, and they had a brush with Klez.

The Klez virus has been going around for several months. It is extremely insidious. It has the ability to spoof the "from" field (to quote from the site below, "The senders address used by the virus, may be one that was found on the infected user's system. Thus, it may appear that you have received this virus from one person, when it was actually sent from a different user's system. Viewing the entire email header will display the actual senders address.")

Read more about it:

http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99367

(There are many more variants of the Klez virus. You can do a search at McAffee.com or about.com for more information)

Now that there are email gateways for SMS, I wouldn't be surprised if we see more and more SMS spam on the horizon.

I don't know about you, but it seems unethical for a wireless carrier to charge you for incoming SMS messages -- you have no control over who sends you messages when, and there really are no protocols or regulations for requesting someone to stop sending you stuff. Doesn't make sense. Seems like an arch-nemesis-type could spam you hundreds of times from a web SMS portal, thus incurring lots of SMS charges on your account completely anonymously.

I would definitely call your wireless carrier to make sure they are aware that you are being spammed, and your SMS allotment is being gobbled up by a random email virus.

That's my HO (humble opinion)
    Last edited by Bbonnn; 08/08/2002 at 11:45 AM.
    Originally posted by Bbonnn
    Seems like an arch-nemesis-type could spam you hundreds of times from a web SMS portal, thus incurring lots of SMS charges on your account completely anonymously.
    Bbonnn, you bring up a very good point, a potentially expensive one (who knows, it could cost ONE MILLION DOLLARS). I'll wait and see what happens with always-on billing with T-mobile (formerly VoiceStream) before I start ringing the bells.