1.    #1  
    I know, there have been hundreds written, but this one is by Donna Dubinsky, co-founder. I learned a few things. It's worth a read.

http://www.mercurynews.com/opinion/ci_15431301?nclick_check=1
    a few of Palm and Handspring's innovations:
    A computer based on synchronization — first with PCs and later with the Web — rather than a stand-alone device, the norm at the time.
    A computer that turned on instantly with the press of a button, going against the trend of bloated software that created a slow user-experience.
    A large-display hand-held computer with a touch interface and no keyboard, with a new way of entering text, called Graffiti.
    A graphic interface for hand-helds where every pixel was analyzed to reduce steps and confusion. Prior hand-held products were character-based.
    The first successful mobile computing developer platform with tens of thousands of applications.
    The Palm V, where style and form factor were as important to users as functionality.
    The Web-enabled Palm VII, in which an application on the device synchronized with data in the background, as is common today.
    One of the first mobile browsers that could view most Web pages in a satisfactory fashion on a small display. Previous approaches were text-based and extremely limited.
    An integrated personal information manager where voice calls could be dialed from an e-mail message and text messages could have photos attached.
    The Treo smartphone, a breakthrough form factor that made the combination phone and handheld computer truly pocketable.
    Web OS, under the direction of Jon Rubenstein, with its unprecedented ability to integrate personal information on the Web with information on the device.
    What can explain such a long string of innovation? How did Palm foster this record of achievement? The answer is straightforward: great people and a great culture.
    Not everyone can be a product designer. It takes a particular skill set, a depth of understanding of the technology combined with a depth of understanding of the market; these characteristics do not often come together. Palm sought out talented product people, cultivated them and empowered them.
    A great product culture requires an ability to reject conventional wisdom. Time and time again, Palm thought deeply about the right trade-offs for users. When Palm created the Palm V, for example, it made the battery not removable to create a thinner and more beautiful product, a highly controversial decision at the time. The product was wildly successful.
    A great product culture also tolerates failure. Palm always developed both evolutionary products — safe products with additional features sought by customers — and revolutionary products, riskier products that might require a few iterations before success. It took three generations of the Treo to create a huge hit.
    Palm and Handspring's many innovations have influenced the design and future of the handheld computing, confirming Jeff's insight 20 years ago. Hand-held computing has indeed become the heart and soul of personal computing. Now that Palm is a part of HP, I hope that its seventh life will have as much impact on the world as have the previous six.

Donna Dubinsky, the former CEO and co-founder of Palm and Handspring, is CEO of Numenta. She wrote this article for this newspaper.
    This must be a bittersweet article for Donna to write. After all the successes she helped lead for all those years, it must really hurt her to see Palm fall so far before HP caught them.

Interesting how the string of Palm innovations stops with the Treo (2003) and doesn't pick up again until WebOS (2008-9). Five to six years of no real innovation is pretty hard to overcome in this industry. I suspect WebOS was probably 2-3 years too late to save Palm's independence as a corporation.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post

Interesting how the string of Palm innovations stops with the Treo (2003) and doesn't pick up again until WebOS (2008-9). Five to six years of no real innovation is pretty hard to overcome in this industry. I suspect WebOS was probably 2-3 years too late to save Palm's independence as a corporation.

if so! how did they manage to stay afloat for so many years ?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    This must be a bittersweet article for Donna to write. After all the successes she helped lead for all those years, it must really hurt her to see Palm fall so far before HP caught them.

That's a fairly insightful comment. Of course, she doesn't criticize the poor decision-making associated with that time period (such as relinquishing control of the OS). It would be interesting to learn what the dynamics were at that time. Did they just get lazy? But clearly, that was the beginning of the end.

Still, I thought the article was very interesting, and there were some things I didn't know in there. I hope the innovation will continue and that the new culture as part of HP is not stifling but supports creativity.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    That's a fairly insightful comment. Of course, she doesn't criticize the poor decision-making associated with that time period (such as relinquishing control of the OS). It would be interesting to learn what the dynamics were at that time. Did they just get lazy? But clearly, that was the beginning of the end.
    Maybe we should ask Todd Bradley, the VP of HP's Personal Systems Group (Palm's new boss) - He was the CEO of Palm when they spun off the OS to a separate company. I wonder what plans he has for his new acquisition?
  7.    #7  
    Ugh. Let's hope he and everyone else has learned from their mistakes.
    I hope that they embrace the assets that Palm brings along with the scale and hardware engineering that HP has to their full advantage. If they can give consumers more options and keep the devices current I think they can make a real dent in the market.