1.    #1  
    What's the deal.....I have the 180 with Cingular as my provider in Charlotte, NC.

My question is, what kind of notification should I receive if I have a voicemail when a) the wireless mode is on when the wireless mode is off? Should I see the reel to reel icon? or do I just get an SMS message. Problem is, when the wireless mode is off, I don't always get the sms message. Also, if I am only supposed to get a sms message, I don't like having to constantly check the phone for a sms message if I haven't had the phone on me at all times.

Cingular can't seem to really answer this question.

Thanks
    Ok, I have cingular in Raleigh, NC which is the same as in Charlotte. You should receive a SMS message when you have a voicemail. When your phone is on you should receive this message almost instantly. If your phone is off the message gets queued and you will receive it sometime later after you turn on your phone. The problem is lots of times when the message gets queued i've seen it take up to 2 days to receive the message. I think the waiting to be sent sms queue gets really backed up. I leave my phone on all the time so the only time I won't get a SMS message instantly is when i'm in an area where I don't have a signal.

Try using TreoAlertMgr to persistently let you know when you have a sms message.

Hope this helps.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by ShockSLL
    You should receive a SMS message when you have a voicemail.
    What about the reel to reel icon? Have you ever seen that?

Thanks
    No, I have never seen that. Some voicestream areas and some cingular areas use that method instead of SMS. Cingular in our area uses SMS. I think that if you take your phone to an area that uses the icon for voicemail then yours should show the icon if you receive a voicemail.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    Originally posted by ShockSLL
    No, I have never seen that. Some voicestream areas and some cingular areas use that method instead of SMS. Cingular in our area uses SMS. I think that if you take your phone to an area that uses the icon for voicemail then yours should show the icon if you receive a voicemail.
    Interesting. I thought it was only Voicestream that did the SMS voice mail notification.

I'm on Cingular in southern California and voicemail notifications don't use SMS. When wireless is on, I get a full screen "You have voice mail" dialog with a couple of choices "Listen" and something else... I think its OK or something. If you dismiss the dialog without listening, the small voice mail icon is displayed until you do listen to the voice mail. If wireless is off when I receive voice mail, I believe only the small icon is displayed *after* I turn wireless on. I don't remember getting the voice mail dialog in this case.
    Ditto