1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Not that much of this is a surprise, other than the use of the word net book. Phil McKinney, was a little coy about a net book earlier today, but it looks as if that will be happening.

We had all heard so many different rumors, who knew what to believe. I am sure there will be a great deal more coming out in the next few weeks, (and when it does, I will keep you all posted, on all of the details).

Take care, Jay

HP Closes Palm Deal, Confirms WebOS Tablet
    By Stephen Lawson, IDG News, July 01, 2010 11:30 AM

HP Closes Palm Deal, Confirms WebOS Tablet - PCWorld Business Center

Hewlett-Packard on Thursday finalized its acquisition of Palm and confirmed it will use the company's WebOS in future tablets and netbooks.

The US$1.2 billion deal was announced April 28 and followed by reports and expectations that HP would extend the operating system beyond Palm's Pre and Pixi handset product lines to larger form factors. In its statement on the deal Thursday, HP pointed in that direction. "Palm will be responsible for WebOS software development and WebOS-based hardware products, from a robust smartphone roadmap to future slate PCs and netbooks," the statement said.

HP showed off a tablet called the Slate, running Windows 7, at the International Consumer Electronics Show in January. Since then it has released additional details about the future device but reportedly dropped Windows 7 from its plans.

The Palm business unit will report to Todd Bradley, executive vice president of HP's Personal Systems Group. The company said it will help it compete in a $100 billion market for smartphones and connected mobile devices.

Palm was a pioneer in the handheld computer business with its Palm Pilot devices and in smartphones with the Treo line. But it fell behind Apple, Research In Motion and other rivals during the lengthy development of WebOS and the Palm Pre, which debuted last year. In February, the company started seeking a buyer in earnest after it became clear its revenue was falling short of expectations.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I want my tablet now!
    Or to quote HP's press release, where there's just a passing reference to "future slate PCs and netbooks". Palm does sound fairly safe as an entity though.

HP Completes Palm Acquisition

HP Completes Palm Acquisition

Accelerates HP’s growth in $100 billion smartphone and connected mobile device markets
    PALO ALTO, Calif., July 1, 2010

HP today announced it has completed its acquisition of Palm Inc. at a price of $5.70 per share of Palm common stock in cash.

The combination gives HP significant headway into one of technology’s fastest-growth segments with Palm’s innovative webOS platform and family of smartphones, plus a rich portfolio of intellectual property from the smartphone pioneer.

HP’s global scale and financial strength plus Palm’s award-winning webOS experience, as well as its acclaimed Pre and Pixi smartphone product lines, enhance HP’s ability to participate more aggressively in the highly profitable, $100 billion smartphone and connected mobile device markets.

“With webOS, HP will deliver its customers a unique and compelling experience across smartphones and other mobility products,” said Todd Bradley, executive vice president, Personal Systems Group, HP. “This allows us the opportunity to fully engage in growing our smartphone family offering and the footprint of webOS.”

Under Jon Rubinstein, former Palm chairman and chief executive officer, the Palm global business unit will report to Bradley. Palm will be responsible for webOS software development and webOS based hardware products, from a robust smartphone roadmap to future slate PCs and netbooks.

“With HP’s full backing and global strengths, I’m confident that webOS will be able to reach its full potential,” said Rubinstein. ”This agreement will accelerate the development of this incredible platform with new resources, scale and support from a world-respected brand.”
    Last edited by johncc; 07/01/2010 at 06:57 PM.
    I'd like a webOS netbook.
    Thumbs up to hp. They've said everything I wanted to hear today
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    I want my tablet now!
    Hi aren't you supposed to stamp your feet when you say that, LOL. Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    Thumbs up to hp. They've said everything I wanted to hear today
    I agree, all good news, they said they are committed to smart phones, and made it clear that they will be offering much more than just smart phones. It is win-win all the way. take care, jay