Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Phil Mckinney (CTO that Rubenstein reports to directly) has just posted a Vidcast talking directly to Palm users and developers

One of my fav quotes from him directly "Our interest is in the Phone business"

NEW VIDCAST: A Message to the Palm Developer Community on Vimeo
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    WebOS Calculator FTW!!!! You know, bc I need to keep my multiplication tables in the cloud :-P

nice Vid. Thanks!
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    I found this very reassuring. HP's enthusiasm over webOS on mobile devices should be extremely encouraging for developers and webOS users.
    HP should really crank out EMUs of their finance and graphing calculators.
    is there a youtube link for us Pre browsing?
    What a missed opportunity. HP should have come charging out of the gate with a real product announcement and release date for it on this auspicious occasion. That company just has no passion in the small device business. How utterly average.

As they say in marketing school: "If Hewlett-Packard was promoting sushi, they would advertise it as cold, dead, raw fish."
    Great video, made some people in here look foolish.
    It sounds like HP finally got its messaging cleared up. First, the CEO makes it abundantly clear that HP was not interested in phones, now they are definitely interested in phones.

Anyway...

This sounds like great news, but a lot has to happen before it means anything. Let the Kin be a cautionary tale. MS, a titan in the industry with a great deal of experience in the mobile, business, and consumer space, with the deepest of pockets and a massive R&D budget, bought out a small and struggling but scrappy little company that had once owned a nice niche in the mobile space: Danger. The once popular Sidekick was transformed by the beast into... Wait for it...

The Kin.

It lasted 48 days on the market.

HP is smaller than MS and has fewer credentials. HP has NEVER made and sold a successful smartphone or tablet. Neither has Palm in the current smartphone climate. Simply having a lot of money and worldwide presence does not a successful product make. The bottom line is Palm still needs to put out a world class product that turns heads and captures the imagination if they are going to compete. Otherwise, we will just see a Palm branded Kin in a few months.

Palm did not succeed with the Pre/Pixi. The OS is still seriously flawed, at least, unfinished. The SDK is still not something that serious developers want to write for. And it is not just marketing that killed this last incarnation of Palm. They seriously need a killer device, the likes of which, they have not proven themselves capable of imagining. HP with all their money, has never been able to buy a clue in the consumer phone and slate movement.

Let the Kin temper your enthusiasm. This is the time for cautious optimism. Demand innovation, not hype. Don't just try to rebadge the Pre. That's what happened to the Sidekick. My hope is that HP and Palm start from scratch, take their time, and make something worth being on the market for more than 48 days.
    I found this video to be a great watch! I think I like that Phil Mckinney guy a lot, he seems to be as big a fan of palm as most of us here
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    What a missed opportunity. HP should have come charging out of the gate with a real product announcement and release date for it on this auspicious occasion. That company just has no passion in the small device business. How utterly average.

As they say in marketing school: "If Hewlett-Packard was promoting sushi, they would advertise it as cold, dead, raw fish."
    That's an excellent idea. I am hard pressed to believe that Palm does not already have a prototype of the next Palm phone. This was a missed opportunity.
    I think that whenever Palm/HP break their silence it will be like a dam burst. There will be announcements about phones (yes plural), slates, and printers. Also, they may release details about the major WebOS overhaul at the same time. I think this fall is shaping up to be a very exciting time for WebOS believers.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    HP is smaller than MS and has fewer credentials. HP has NEVER made and sold a successful smartphone or tablet. Neither has Palm in the current smartphone climate. Simply having a lot of money and worldwide presence does not a successful product make. The bottom line is Palm still needs to put out a world class product that turns heads and captures the imagination if they are going to compete. Otherwise, we will just see a Palm branded Kin in a few months.
    Is HP really smaller than MS and with fewer credentials? I'm not sure that is true. And HP iPaqs may never have gained the popularity of the iPhone, but that isn't the same thing as not being successful.

I agree that lots of money and a worldwide presence alone are enough, just as a great idea is rarely enough. But together, then your chances are greater...
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Ok, just checked. MS has a market cap about twice that of HP.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    Is HP really smaller than MS and with fewer credentials? I'm not sure that is true. And HP iPaqs may never have gained the popularity of the iPhone, but that isn't the same thing as not being successful.
    As you have already discovered, HP is much smaller than MS. As it happens, by the same measure, MS is smaller than Apple.

As for credentials, No HP phone or tablet platform has been successful by todays standard of success. The iPaq was not even in the same market. What Apple carved out was a whole new market: the consumer smartphone/tablet market, not business. That is one of the reasons everyone thought the iPhone would fail. Apple pretty much created the market that everyone is trying to get a foothold in. HP has never been able to sell this kind of device into this market. Neither has MS, for that matter.

HP had so little confidence in their ability to succeed in this space that they had to go out and buy Palm; a company that has even less success in the current market. HP does not have some big, magical idea that is going to revolutionize anything. Further, I don't think their logical target is Apple, or even Google. It is MS WP7. They might have a chance at the no. 3 spot, because as it happens, MS doesn't have any big and revolutionary ideas either.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    As you have already discovered, HP is much smaller than MS. As it happens, by the same measure, MS is smaller than Apple.

As for credentials, No HP phone or tablet platform has been successful by todays standard of success. The iPaq was not even in the same market. What Apple carved out was a whole new market: the consumer smartphone/tablet market, not business. That is one of the reasons everyone thought the iPhone would fail. Apple pretty much created the market that everyone is trying to get a foothold in. HP has never been able to sell this kind of device into this market. Neither has MS, for that matter.

HP had so little confidence in their ability to succeed in this space that they had to go out and buy Palm; a company that has even less success in the current market. HP does not have some big, magical idea that is going to revolutionize anything. Further, I don't think their logical target is Apple, or even Google. It is MS WP7. They might have a chance at the no. 3 spot, because as it happens, MS doesn't have any big and revolutionary ideas either.
    Ok, now you are drifting off into fandom thinking...

In terms of market cap (share price), MS and Apple are indeed both about twice as large as HP. That is the value of their shares, not the smartphone/tablet market. If we actually look at the revenues of these companies (the market), we see HP is several times larger than Apple, which makes sense (HP has servers, printers, ink, specialized circuit boards, a large services organization/consulting, etc.). Look into the services/consulting. HP probably makes more there than Apple does doing everything.

Now why do people pay more per share for Apple? Easy, more profitable, growing, etc. But never confuse growth with market share.
    KA1
    Actually, dont confuse "market capitalization" with company size - thats a HUGE leap, because, Market Cap can and will change from moment to moment, as it is solely dependant on the price of the company's shares, which is dependant upon the VERY tempermental supply and demand for them on the exchanges - versus the physical size of the company, which is related to how many employees they have, which is a direct result of just how much revenue generating business they do to support that payroll, and how much net profit they make, per year, which makes thier size justifiable.

The number of employees is a direct statement of just how large a company really is. Period.

There are MANY large companies with deceptively small market capitlizations (like AIG), and many smaller companies with large market capitalizations (like Apple) - here are some valuations for you to consider to understand the above, based on today's stock prices:

MSFT: market cap - 210b - 93,000 employees
    HPQ: market cap - 105b - 304,000 employees
    APPL: market cap - 231b - 34,000 employees
    INTC: market cap - 105b - 79,800 employees
    CSCO: market cap - 125b - 65,500 employees
    IBM: market cap - 161b - 410,830 employees
    AIG: market cap - 4b - 93,000 empoloyees
    GE: market cap - 153b - 304,000 employees
    WMT (WalMart): market cap - 180b - 2,100,000 employees

Now here's one for you, Berkshire Hathway - Warren Buffets company:

BERK: market cap 35b - 113 employees (always have to thow in the one that makes you say "Holy Cow!")

If I remember correctly, PALM, bought out at $5.70/share for $1.2b gave them a market cap of $1.2b, with under 1000 employees.

Just FYI...
    Last edited by LCGuy; 07/07/2010 at 01:01 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

also remember Palm started the touch screen business, and the only reason their next generation products did not evolve into something great fast is because they didnt have the funds to do so. The time Palm released Webos, the competitors where more established, with more money at hand, which in tern onslaughted whatever new product Palm released. Its like back in the treo days, back then they were one of the top phones to be pushed, when the iphone came out it was being compared to the treos, and critizied by things it didnt have. With HP they may not have confiendence in developing their own OS, or the know how to make a smartphone, thats the reason why they bought palm, but why would anyone fault a company for doing whats smart? Palm knows how to make smartphones, listens to the public, knows what the public wants, and now with correct funding they will be able to evolve webos on a scale they could have only imagined. A chance HP took yes, but to me as long as HP gives them the money Palm can go out get the materials and compents they need to make a super smartphone, they can go and get highly speced instruments and specifications run it. Then they can release not only a super phone, but a fully optimized OS, that would dwarf the competition the way the Pre would have if they had the resources to do so when they released it a year ago.