1.    #1  
    Here's an article on the PocketPC Phone, overall the impression of this PPC phone is negative. Interesting reading, however (Especially for TREO 270/PalmOS fanatics) .

http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupda...876220,00.html

My Commentary:
    I don't know the accuracy of the article (above) since I've not personally used this PocketPC device mentioned, but I have used the TREO 270. Seems to me that Handspring is still in a good position to dominate the communicator market (Size, Features and capability). But there are going to be many more players in the coming months that could easily blur the perceived dominance Handspring has in the PalmOS communicator market (Samsung comes to mind with the PalmOS/Phone/MP3 Player-I think it was Samsung anyways).

Aside from competition from other companies, Handspring should not ignore their weaknesses in their current product offering. The main one that comes to mind is an SD Slot (with SDIO) missing from the communicator lines (TREO 180/270s). My opinion is that this is a very critical omission. While hard resets on a PalmOS device are somewhat rare, they do happen and certainly can with a TREO 270. Once it does happen, the omission of some form of portable storage solution will yield it's ugly head (I am one who will miss the days of a Springboard-capable device, however).

There are many more things that Handspring got right with the TREO 270 than it appears PPC did based on this article. However, I hope that HS does not loosen their grip, nor their drive to innovate!
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
  2. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Originally posted by jonecool

Handspring should not ignore their weaknesses in their current product offering. The main one that comes to mind is an SD Slot (with SDIO) missing from the communicator lines (TREO 180/270s). My opinion is that this is a very critical omission. While hard resets on a PalmOS device are somewhat rare, they do happen and certainly can with a TREO 270.
    I agree, but I also feel that backup isn't the only reason to have an SD slot--if anything, I'd say that any reason someone might have for an SD card (except an online connection, obviously, since that capability would be built in) would still apply just as much as to a Palm m5xx, Treo 90, or other similar device.

Plus, now it's a matter of competitiveness--both this Pocket PC phone and the Kyocera 7135 will have an SD slot. IMO, Handspring can't afford not to include SD slots--and SDIO capability--in the next Treos to be released (I'm not counting the 300 here, since that one's so close to its release now). And if they can do that, they can release an SDIO driver for the Treo 90 too!
    Hera are two more columns/reviews about the ms device:

http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stor...876245,00.html

and

http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stor...876324,00.html

The second one tries real hard not to say it sucks. :-)
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Me again.

From the first link I posted "While some folks like holding these devices to their ears like regular phones (an impossibility with the Treo)..."

An impossibility? This is how I use the phone. What is impossible about it?
    Felipe
    he also says that to get e-mail on the Treo you have to spend $50 per year for personal mail, or $99 per year for corporate, as if it can't do e-mail at all without the TreoMail app and service. This guy is a dumbass. All he can do is read a spec sheet and promo material and hold one in his hand. If he had actually USED a Treo he'd know that it can be used without a headset AND it comes with TWO different e-mail apps for FREE!!! The user comments to his article are just as ignorant.
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    two e-mail app´s ? I only had OneTouch on my CD but I must say it works fine and I saw at handango that this app cost some thing about 49$ so it was includet and works fine I have 3 different account´s it lets you select wichone you´ll like check or all. Filters also work´s so I must say very nice!!!

Have you ever seen some one talking on an Ipaq with GPRS Jacket that look so dumm!!!!!!! so I love my TREO 270!!!!! but an SD Slot would be nice!!
    Slower than my NR70 was but i love my Treo 270......
    Orange,

the regular Palm email program is also included on the cd if you want to sync with your desktop email program.

I use two email programs, Eudora and Onetouch. Eudora to sync with the desktop and check a couple of different accounts (including work) and one touch for checking one account that get emails that eudora truncates.

BTW, the one touch isn't that great with html email and the one that comes with the treo is an older version. It sucks at jod dial support too.

I would love to move to one app that would do it all. Multimail came the closest but it crashes too much for me.
    Felipe
  8. DBM
    The Palm is the best at what it does hands down, as a PDA to take notes and schedule appointments as well as keep contacts the Pocket PC just doesnt compare. The Pocket PC has better games because it has more horsepower so if your looking for a gameboy phone then you might be better off with a Pocket PC Phone but for all intents and purposes the Treo 270 is simply the best there is. I have my Laptop for serious gaming so I dont want all this stuff cluttering up my 270, I have monoploly and Bejeweled installed which are the perfect games for timekilling.

I use the Treo to keep all my contacts to send email when im on the go and even browse the web in a pinch...as well as keep track of my checking account and my weekly to do lists...also use it to keep track of my hours at work. It does everything I need and more in a compact elegant looking design...I wouldnt giveup my thumbpad keyboard for all the money in the world!
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Palm was designed to be a PDA, and what is a PDA, a personal digital assistant. Its not a portable gaming system, or a replacement to your desktop. Its for taking notes, phone numbers, things that you do away from your computer. I'm not bashing Palm, I love Palm I think its far superior at what it does compared to PPC. I am just trying to state what this thing was made to do. I think some people today forget that when they go for a PDA/Phone. I've read many reviews on PPC phones and Palm phones. I've owned Palm phones. What I look for, Palm does with ease and no fear of crashing. You don't need 200 Mhz to run Palm OS, thats just insane. I think the fastest Palm, and correct me someone if I am wrong is a Sony with a 66Mhz . Thats more than enough to surf the web, send email, and take notes, make phone calls............ I think some people just watch to many movies
    Palm OS should be able to easily dominate the communicator market. Palm is simple and easy to use; just what you want in your phone. I've played with ppc based phones. Battery life, usage model, this OS is just not meant to be running what should be as as simple and basic as a phone.

I agree that a PPC phone could be a better gameboy replacement, but I'm not sure how deep the market is for a combo phone/gameboy.

Will treo dominate this sector? Without an expansion slot, removable battery, or analog roam capability its certainly not the last word. To its advantage, its small, light, and has a keyboard. On a 3G network, its perfectly positioned with these advantages to be a blackberry killer. But HS will have to get its act together. Blackberry is a corporate product, and Treomail just doesn't cut it with security conscious corporate IT staff.