Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all, Here is an interesting article, which states among other things that, "HP plans to put well over $200 million into Palm R&D..........

It's a nice read, so enjoy, take care, Jay

Palm Shareholders Approve HP's $1.2B Acquisition
    ARTICLE DATE: 06.27.10, By David Murphy

Palm Shareholders Approve HP's $1.2B Acquisition

According to an SEC filing released Friday, Palm shareholders have approved the company's acquisition by Hewlett-Packard. The final transaction is scheduled to go live on Wednesday, July 1.

So just how much does Palm cost? HP initially announced its acquisition in late April, putting up $1.2 billion for the beleaguered portable device maker.

HP's intentions appear to be two-fold: capitalizing on Palm's existing smartphone line and the company's WebOS technology while simultaneously using its considerable resources to build up more product development, marketing, and sales.

"In acquiring Palm, HP dramatically accelerates the assets needed to deliver compelling, connected mobile experiences," said Todd Bradley, executive vice president of HP's Personal Systems Group, in late April. "Palm's world-class technology coupled with HP's financial strength will accelerate our strategy for these connected global devices."

As well, HP will look to tap into the strengths of Palm's WebOS for devices that aren't necessarily in the mobile space. PCMag.com's Lance Ulanoff has speculated that one of HP's tablet devices—perhaps the HP Slate—could benefit greatly from the inclusion of WebOS as a third option behind Windows 7 and Android. With enough support, HP could potentially reinvigorate Palm's WebOS app library as well.

"HP plans to put well over $200 million into Palm R&D, while investing heavily in third-party software development for the webOS platform," writes PCMag.com's Tim Bajarin. "Palm's OS gives HP the ability to marry Web apps with mobile apps in real-time on mobile platforms."

According to ComScore, Palm was only capturing 5.4 percent of the U.S. mobile market as of February 2010—quite a ways behind Apple's 25.4 percent, Google's 9.0 percent, and RIM's 42.1 percent.

Smartphone shipments are expected to rise 35.5 percent from 2009's 182 million to an expected 247 million shipments in 2010, reports iSuppli. As well, Palm was the tenth-largest smartphone brand in the "fourth quarter of 2009, neither gaining nor losing traction throughout the entirety of the year.

"WebOS was critically acclaimed as a platform, but Palm simply did not have the resources needed to effectively compete with deep-pocketed players like Apple, Google and Microsoft," writes analyst Michael Gartenberg.

"That's different now -- the combination of Palm's technology and brand with HP's resources and channel partners will allow HP to drive its mobile efforts forward."
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Good to know, plus I am sure they will be paying for manufacturing so that is good news. Cant wait
    thanks for sharing!.... Looks like the good news is starting to trickle in.
    I agree 100 % with analyst... Palm didn't have the resources to compete.... Now they do!
    Good find! You should be up for an upgrade when all of these moves from HP/Palm come to fruition.
    Thanks for the post Jay.
    Nice post. Good to see something positive.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Looking forward to the 3rd party apps!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Will it still be called "Palm?"
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Jay - I love your posts!
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Jay - I love your posts!
    I second this motion.
    Watch out Apple, this is going to be "magical."
    Quote Originally Posted by glassadam View Post
    I think they should change it to "Palms" because you can use the phone in either hand...
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Good find! You should be up for an upgrade when all of these moves from HP/Palm come to fruition.
    i agree webos will accelerate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    I second this motion.
    i 3rd that motion
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    Watch out Apple, this is going to be "magical."
    it sure is . webos is by far the best os out there. and with hp's pockets theres no telling how far they can go.
    Quote Originally Posted by glassadam View Post
    i wondered the same. i hope it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Thanks for the post Jay.
    yea jay thanks.
  18. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Um... Didn't Palm have over f@@MM a year ago? How far does 200MM go?
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    Um... Didn't Palm have over f@@MM a year ago? How far does 200MM go?
    Looks like someone forgot to double click the orange/white button on the pre.

I was gunna ask the same question though, is 200MM a significant amount for r/d compared to what apple or google spend?
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    Looks like someone forgot to double click the orange/white button on the pre.

I was gunna ask the same question though, is 200MM a significant amount for r/d compared to what apple or google spend?
    Depends, is the 200M the total R&D budget or just what HP is throwing into the mix along side whatever Palm's existing R&D budget is?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast